General Discussion

Timeshares on credit report?

Aug 07, 2010

I have pulled my credit report a few times in the last month, and my timeshare payments is nowhere on it. When I purchased it, they told me I would be gaining equity and all the benefits of purchasing a timeshare.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't be on my credit report? Is anyone's timeshare on their credit report?

Thanks!

Heather H.
Aug 07, 2010

heatherh234 wrote:
I have pulled my credit report a few times in the last month, and my timeshare payments is nowhere on it. When I purchased it, they told me I would be gaining equity and all the benefits of purchasing a timeshare.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't be on my credit report? Is anyone's timeshare on their credit report?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the salesperson will tell you anything to get you to buy. You gain no equity. If you bought your TS from the developer, it is probably worth anywhere from0-15% of the original purchase price.

As for the credit report, the only thing you might have to worry about is if you don't pay your maintenance fees or mortgage, they'll maybe report you and it will likely affect your credit rating.

Lance C.
Aug 07, 2010

But why wouldn't it be on there? They have all my information, social and stuff, usually things like that report on a credit report.

At this point I'm half tempted to default on the mortgage just to get it to show up on my report.

Heather H.
Sep 04, 2010

You are correct. I have stopped paying maint. fees to Diamond Resorts, because I traded it in when I purchase another timeshare unit. This did not make D. Resorts happy and they have hurt my credit score and labeled me as a serious delinquency. So what. I don't have any debt and don't plan on mortgages in the future or borrowing for a car. Just be aware that they can try to hurt you in this way.

Ken F.
Sep 05, 2010

heatherh234 wrote:
But why wouldn't it be on there? They have all my information, social and stuff, usually things like that report on a credit report.

At this point I'm half tempted to default on the mortgage just to get it to show up on my report.

Why would you want to take the chance of ruining your credit score?

R P.
Sep 06, 2010

like I said before, I'm out of debt. Credit scores are for those who borrow. I don't plan on future borrowing so it shouldn't greatly affect me.

Ken F.
Sep 06, 2010

heatherh234 wrote:

I was referring to the poster above.

R P.
Sep 07, 2010

Even if it were to hurt my credit score, it wouldn't hurt it to the point of my not being able to get loans when needed. I just want it on my credit report, where it should be.

Heather H.
Sep 07, 2010

"I have pulled my credit report a few times in the last month, and my timeshare payments is nowhere on it. When I purchased it, they told me I would be gaining equity and all the benefits of purchasing a timeshare.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't be on my credit report? Is anyone's timeshare on their credit report? "

Your comment concerning "gaining equity" suggests you financed the timeshare purchase. Most timeshares are worth maybe twenty to thirty per cent of the purchase price the day you close the deal. Many even less! In all probability you were "under water" from day one depending on the amount of your down payment. The recordation of your payment history on your credit report has nothing to do with "gaining equity". The salesman lied to you.

The reporting of timeshare mortgage payments is not required by the Fair Credit Report Act (15 USC sec 1681) and most timeshare mortgagees do not report the payment history. What is required is that any report be complete. That is, the creditor must report both positive as well as negative information. Most don't care to bother with this requirement and therefore report nothing. Certainly a rogue company might report only the negative information but this should be reported to the FTC, the Federal agency charged with enforcing the FCRA.

Carvan A.

Last edited by carvana on Sep 10, 2010 08:11 AM

Oct 22, 2010

Yes, I think that is right, I agree with what you said is really very useful to me a lot of knowledge

Cheney O.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jul 27, 2011 02:24 PM

Jul 27, 2011

A person's capability to get credit is determined by many variables. The majority of those factors are determined by a person's financial habits. Besides relocating, a person has no say in how creditworthy the state they live in is. A new study rates and rates the credit reliability of each of the fifty states. Here is the proof: Study ranks states for creditworthiness

Geeyan V.

Last edited by geeyanv on Jul 27, 2011 03:50 AM

Jan 07, 2013

Quick question--if a timeshare has not been reporting both positive and negative information with regards to MF payments, it is against the law for them to threaten you with reporting the negative information to the credit agencies, even if they have no intention of actually reporting it?

carvana wrote:
"I have pulled my credit report a few times in the last month, and my timeshare payments is nowhere on it. When I purchased it, they told me I would be gaining equity and all the benefits of purchasing a timeshare.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't be on my credit report? Is anyone's timeshare on their credit report? "

Your comment concerning "gaining equity" suggests you financed the timeshare purchase. Most timeshares are worth maybe twenty to thirty per cent of the purchase price the day you close the deal. Many even less! In all probability you were "under water" from day one depending on the amount of your down payment. The recordation of your payment history on your credit report has nothing to do with "gaining equity". The salesman lied to you.

The reporting of timeshare mortgage payments is not required by the Fair Credit Report Act (15 USC sec 1681) and most timeshare mortgagees do not report the payment history. What is required is that any report be complete. That is, the creditor must report both positive as well as negative information. Most don't care to bother with this requirement and therefore report nothing. Certainly a rogue company might report only the negative information but this should be reported to the FTC, the Federal agency charged with enforcing the FCRA.

Josephine C.
Jan 07, 2013

They have the right to threaten you with legal action. It's their choice to follow up with it or not.

Don P.
Jan 07, 2013

donp196 wrote:
They have the right to threaten you with legal action. It's their choice to follow up with it or not.

I understand about legal action, but is reporting negative information to a credit bureau actually "legal action"? Isn't legal action foreclosure, or judgements? I'm not sure that threatening to negatively impact your credit report when they know they cannot could be classified as legal action.

Josephine C.
Jan 07, 2013

Any creditor has the right to report delinquent payments to the credit bureaus. You have the right to dispute inacurate information. It's a civil matter.

Don P.
Jan 08, 2013

Collectors can't threaten to sue or file charges against you, garnish wages, take property, cause job loss, or ruin your credit when the collector cannot or does not intend to take the action. [15 USC 1692e] § 807(5) (FDCPA)

A creditor has the right to institute legal action to collect a valid debt but Federal Law prohibits threats with no intent to follow through.

Carvan A.
Jan 08, 2013

Thank you--that makes sense. So basically, if the resort has not been reporting on-time MF payments made (which they haven't), they cannot now report non-payment of those maintenance fees, nor can they tell me they are going to impact my credit negatively. Because I have a letter from them saying just that.

carvana wrote:
Collectors can't threaten to sue or file charges against you, garnish wages, take property, cause job loss, or ruin your credit when the collector cannot or does not intend to take the action. [15 USC 1692e] § 807(5) (FDCPA)

A creditor has the right to institute legal action to collect a valid debt but Federal Law prohibits threats with no intent to follow through.

Josephine C.
Jan 13, 2013

Just curious has anyone ever not paid their maintenance fees on a TS that is already paid for? If so, what happened? THanks

Sheryl L.
Jan 13, 2013

That's the situation I'm in--our TS has been paid off for years and we stopped paying the maintenance fees. It appears that based on the Fair Credit Reporting Act, if the TS has not been reporting on-time MF payments to the credit bureaus, they cannot now start reporting non-payment of MF.

Josephine C.
Jan 14, 2013

josephinec40 wrote:
That's the situation I'm in--our TS has been paid off for years and we stopped paying the maintenance fees. It appears that based on the Fair Credit Reporting Act, if the TS has not been reporting on-time MF payments to the credit bureaus, they cannot now start reporting non-payment of MF.

It depends on the HOA or management of a resort whether or not they ding credit scores for non-payment of maintenance fees, however I would think the majority would report such non payments since maintenance fees are the bread and butter that holds a resort together and it's part and parcel of buying any timeshare. If everyone merely decided to stop paying maintenance fees then the resort would dissolve from within.

If I were thinking of stopping paying maintenance fees I would contact the resort for any repercussions that might occur, especially if you value your credit score.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.