General Discussion

Groupwise inc, anyone here heard of them ?

Dec 16, 2010

They are supposed to help get rid of your unwanted timeshare.They say they will buy it from you. Is this just another scam ? no upfront fee...... so they say. we are going to meet with them tomorrow and will report back here.

Paul G.
Dec 17, 2010

paulgrzesik wrote:
They are supposed to help get rid of your unwanted timeshare.They say they will buy it from you. Is this just another scam ? no upfront fee...... so they say. we are going to meet with them tomorrow and will report back here.

If you do meet with them tomorrow, please do report back here. I am curious as to their sales pitch. Whatever you do though, do not let them fast-talk you into hastily paying them some outrageous amount.

They say they will buy it from you. They will probably go on a sales pitch about how bad and burdensome it is to own a timeshare and how difficult it is to sell it. Then, likely they will offer to buy it from you for $1 or so on the condition that you buy into some worthless travel membership or program that will cost about $3000.

Anyway, if you do go, be forewarned! Their sales pitches are very persuasive (but unconvincing).

Lance C.
Dec 18, 2010

lancec13 wrote:
If you do meet with them tomorrow, please do report back here. I am curious as to their sales pitch. Whatever you do though, do not let them fast-talk you into hastily paying them some outrageous amount.

They say they will buy it from you. They will probably go on a sales pitch about how bad and burdensome it is to own a timeshare and how difficult it is to sell it. Then, likely they will offer to buy it from you for $1 or so on the condition that you buy into some worthless travel membership or program that will cost about $3000.

Anyway, if you do go, be forewarned! Their sales pitches are very persuasive (but unconvincing).

I concur with much of the above statement, but I would point out that it still does NOT in any way address the biggest danger of all...

Some of these entities (after taking your several thousand dollars) do NOT actually transfer the ownership into their name at all. Instead, they have you sign a "Power of Attorney" which authorizes them to TRY to sell the week on your behalf. However, in this power of attorney arrangement, YOU STILL REMAIN the legal owner of record until a later recorded deed transfer occurs (IF one ever occurs at all). If the entity can't sell the week, even though they might pay the maintenance fees for a year (or maybe even for several years), when all is said and done you STILL own the week (and ALL of the associated legal responsibilities associated therewith). By then, these folks will likely be long gone...

Accordingly, make VERY sure that you clearly understand the difference between transfer of ownership by recorded valid deed in a new name (by which you will no longer be the owner) and a mere power of attorney (in which you REMAIN the owner until actual deed transfer --- something which may never actually happen AT ALL).

You don't want to part with $3k only to find out several years from now that YOU STILL OWN the timeshare. Be smart. Fully understand the critically important distinctions outlined above BEFORE you sign (...or pay) ANYTHING!

There is an old saying that "a fool and his money are soon parted". Don't be a fool...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 18, 2010 09:44 AM

Jun 19, 2011

I went to a meeting last night. They want 2800.00 to get rid of my timeshare. Said that maintenance fees continue on forever; your kids inherit this, they will be obligated to pay these fees or lien will be taken against the estate when you die if you don't get rid of it. There are so many scams out there you don't know if you can believe anyone.

Donna M.
Jun 19, 2011

donnam724 wrote:
I went to a meeting last night. They want 2800.00 to get rid of my timeshare. Said that maintenance fees continue on forever; your kids inherit this, they will be obligated to pay these fees or lien will be taken against the estate when you die if you don't get rid of it. There are so many scams out there you don't know if you can believe anyone.

Your kids do not technically inherit it. Nobody is forced to accept a decedent's timeshare if he does not want to.

The estate is indeed responsible for the maintenance fees. It's up to the person designated by the deceased person beforehand to get rid of the timeshare.

Now, back to the $2800 fee. Have you tried advertising it for free for someone to take? Offer to pay the closing costs (about $300). That is a lot cheaper than $2800.

Besides, as was pointed out before, these companies usually don't take your timeshare. They only get you to sign a Power of Attorney which will merely give them the authority to try to sell it or give it away.

Until, someone actually willingly accepts ownership of that timeshare, you are still responsible for the maintenance fees.

Lance C.
Oct 25, 2011

We are supposed to meet with these folks at GroupWise, Inc. Thinking, after reading all comments, I will save my time for better things. Also, want to say Windham Vacation Resorts is nothing but a scam. They sell you a deed, but you do not own the place, just use of points. Tried selling it back to them and they wound up trying to sell us more. How crazy is that. What planet are they from. They told us that even after you die, the family has to continue to pay these maintenance fees and if they own anything, they are subject to be sued. My best advise is never to get involved with WINDHAM VACATION RESORTS or any other TIMESHARE.

Snickerdoole S.
Oct 26, 2011

Please read my article " getting rid of your timeshare " in the general forum. I too tried to sell, donate or give away my trimeshare. Then I read an article in Timesharing Today. It said to contact your home resort and see if they will take it back. Sometimes they ask you to pay a year or two maintenance fees before they take it back. I called two timeshares that I owned near Daytona Beach. They both agreed to take them back with just a quit claim deed. They only required me to be current in all fees and assessments. They just charged me for the current years taxes and a minimal fee to process the paperwork. I am now completely free of any obligation to them. I have the recorded deeds locked away in a safe place and I will not have to pay any maintence fees or taxes for the rest of my life.

Don P.
Aug 23, 2012

NO scam. We are dealing with them now to have a Bermuda Timeshare transferred to the. Depending on what your annual assessment / HOA feees are, they have a scaled price that you pay them ( flat fee, up front). They do all the transfer paperwork and assume title and liability for all future assessments. Not cheap, but when yu look at what all future ees to you might be if you don't get out of your ownership, it makes sense in some cases. The company is located in Pennsylvania and has an A rating from the Better Business Bureau

Roy V.
Aug 23, 2012

royvb wrote:
NO scam. We are dealing with them now to have a Bermuda Timeshare transferred to the. Depending on what your annual assessment / HOA feees are, they have a scaled price that you pay them ( flat fee, up front). They do all the transfer paperwork and assume title and liability for all future assessments. Not cheap, but when yu look at what all future ees to you might be if you don't get out of your ownership, it makes sense in some cases. The company is located in Pennsylvania and has an A rating from the Better Business Bureau

Are you sure they are actually signing a deed transfer and not a Power of Attorney. Many groups like this usually just get you to sign a Power of Attorney which gives them the authority to try to find a taker for your timeshare.

Even if they do sign a deed transfer, another questionable thing they do is transfer the timeshare into a shell corporation and let the corporation go bankrupt leaving the timeshare in limbo. Unfortunately, the other owners at the resort have to pick up the costs of the mess.

Besides, have you tried advertising that you simply want to give your timeshare away? That will work out a lot cheaper for you than hiring one of these questionable outfits for thousands of dollars.

And of course, the other option is to call the resort's HOA, explain your situation and ask if it will take the timeshare back (again, cheaper than hiring these questionable outfits).

Lance C.
Aug 23, 2012

In reverse order, the Club has disclaimed interest in taking back and actively pursues non-payers; I have advertised on Redweek, including using a negative sales price ( i.e., "I will pay you"; 4 months no takers); they will provide a statement of Release from the Developer; I'm a CPA and read what I sign. This business pass the smell test for me. They explain that the assemble blocks from a resort and then negotiate with the owner for a reduced HOA fees in exchange for their travel club directing vacationers (who become sales targets). Sounds logical and a reasonable business risk for them. Have been in business for 17 years.

Roy V.
Aug 24, 2012

royvb wrote:
they will provide a statement of Release from the Developer; I'm a CPA and read what I sign.

There's no developer on earth that would simply sign a release form unless it was during the designated rescission period after purchase .... if you believe this scam then I have some oceanfront property in AZ that I'll sell you real cheap as you seem to be a 'scam' artist's target.

R P.
Aug 24, 2012

You're a cynic, and if you send me your address, I will mail you a copy when I get it. The CLub will care less who I transfer title to, as long as they have a billable party.

Roy V.
Aug 25, 2012

royvb wrote:
You're a cynic, and if you send me your address, I will mail you a copy when I get it. The CLub will care less who I transfer title to, as long as they have a billable party.

You're not kidding that I'm a cynic with all the scams related to timeshares out there. Also, many of these type scams never bother to transfer ownership leaving you still be responsible for all future fees.

R P.
Aug 25, 2012

royvb wrote:

You'll mail me a copy of what? You haven't even finalized this socalled agreement yet you're singing their praises ..... it's evident that you are a shill.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 25, 2012 09:47 AM

Aug 25, 2012

...and what side of the bed did you get up on today? Why so defensive and abrasive? Explain to me how a company can be 17 years in business and have an A rating from the Better Business Bureau if they're the abject fraud that you are considering them to be? Sounds to me like you got burned on another company!? And I'd worry about the slander laws if I were you and GroupWise ever reads this. I am a satisfied customer. That's all any readers need to know. The offer was to mail you a copy of the release when the Developer signs it after transfer. If people have trouble with thinking it's a fraud, then just pay them with your American Express card and you can collect beck from them if it is not as advertised. Cheeeeee!

Roy V.
Aug 25, 2012

royvb wrote:
The offer was to mail you a copy of the release when the Developer signs it after transfer.

That's where you're confusing. I'm assuming you bought your timeshare from the developer. Once the developer sells all the timeshares, it has nothing to do with the resort. All the developer cares about is selling out the original units.

If any party is giving you a "copy of the release", it would likely be the resort or the resort's HOA.

And what would this release form release you from? You own a piece of property. The only way to "release" you from it would be for someone else willingly buying it (or at least taking it for free).

Is Groupwise buying this unit from you?

Lance C.
Aug 26, 2012

royvb wrote:
Sounds to me like you got burned on another company!?

I never even considered using a scam company to sell my timeshares or one to allegedly take my timeshares off my hands .... I sold all of my timeshares myself via Redweek and other reputable timeshare ad sites so I've never been "burned" as you call it by ANY company.

BTW, resorts are catching on to the scam companies that claim they'll take your timeshare .... resorts are refusing to honor the transfer of such fraudulant ownerships.

R P.
Aug 26, 2012

Concerning Groupwise Inc:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=+groupwise+inc+scam&oq=+groupwise+inc+scam&gs_l=serp.3..0i30i19.20652.30840.1.32018.52.28.3.4.5.9.178.3204.4j23.28.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.oaInxGERAJc&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=e5b62c1737d9666f&biw=1440&bih=787

R P.
Aug 26, 2012

This is a right to use, not a deeded ownership. Cannot buy deeded property in Bermuda

Roy V.
Aug 26, 2012

It's a mixed bag about them out there. See:

Quote: Originally Posted by FreeIn2010 Their phone number is 724-347-1061... email addresses for the reps i dealt with are Becky@timesharetitle.com and Brenda@timesharetitle.com. Physical address from the letter sent with the closing documents is 30 East State Street, Sharon, PA 16146. I mailed signed documents to the PO box address.

Website is www.timesharetitle.com after you are assigned a file # you can track the status online.

A legit company from my experience. ============= I very much appreciate your making the effort to provide these additional facts and details. Since I'd never before even heard of this outfit, I didn't want my less experienced (and less cautious) younger brother to be led down the proverbial primrose path if he proceeds with his transaction.

Thanks again for your kind and considerate efforts. Much appreciated.

Roy V.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.