Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina Tower

New Marriott Vacation Club Points scheme?

Feb 27, 2011

We went to our owners meeting here at the Marriott Ocean Club this week to hear about the new points program. At first, it sounded kind of cool - it seems easy to trade the points from your home resort for other locations. But now I'm not so sure. There are different points required depending on what season you're booking in (it's even different between January and February). Also, I think availability and inventory is going to be diminished, now that this system allows owners to check in during the middle of the week and stay for only a few nights. Finally, the sales person said that anyone now buying Marriott vacation properties through Marriott can only buy via this point system -- and that they are prohibited from selling their units on the open market and that they have to be sold back to Marriott. That means you could only sell your Marriott timeshare for what Marriott was willing to buy it for. Anyway... there are some good things with this system (flexibility) but I'm very wary of it. I didn't "upgrade." Thoughts from others?

Barbara K.
Aug 05, 2011

Dear Friends,

CAUTION:

I am an owner at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club for 7 years.

I also, was resently approached to enter the New Marriott points program.

To my suprise, my Ocean View, 1 bedroom, 8th Floor unit, (Very Nice) was only worth 2,775 Club Points?

To trade into Maui for a 1 bedroom, I would need 3,500 points for the the same. Today, I would just trade through Interval or RCI. ($89 enrollment fee). With Points, I would have to buy the difference at $7-9 per point?

Then they said we could get 110,000 points to stay at various Marriott hotels anytime we wanted, in liue of the club points?

Of course, each night was a high point count and we had only about 4 nights, depending on the Hotel, instead of the 6 nights we have now.

I purchased my Marriott unit on the Resale Market and I own the deed. The points system does not offer this and I fear the points will become more diluted as the years go on.

Meaning, this is another way for Marriott to create revenue through making owners constantly have to buy more points to go to another resort.

Further, we all know the maintanance fees rise every year.

For potential time share buyers, look closely at the resale market. There are some Great Buys right now.

Understand timeshares are NOT A STRONG money investment, but very good for taking a yearly vacation. Over time, you do save money, but you have to calculate your payback. Mine starts after about 8-9 years.

Happy Hunting!

David B.
Jan 12, 2012

We own in Aruba and were also presented with the points system. We declined....I don't understand the rationale that offers you less points for trading in your timeshare than it takes to reserve it. Why wouldn't an owner receive the equivalent points...you trade in 6 nights but only receive enough points back for 4 nights for the very same property...doesn't look like much of an advantage to me. If no one signs up for the points, it limits inventory for bookings...I see problems.

Debra D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.