Ask RedWeek

Time Shares by Owner reseller...fraud or legit?

Mar 12, 2011

This company called me and while I hear everyone saying never pay an upfront fee, they are claiming that they re sell via 10 different physical locations where they showcase their resale inventory to actual vacationers vs advertising on web sites. They want $1797 to sell my 3 time shares that I don't want (Mayan Puerto Penasco 20,000 RCI point value week, Velas Vallarta 12 weeks in 1 bed villa and Attitash Mountain village 26,000 point week and to rent my Exotic weeks. They sent me a big e mail package complete with contracts and information links such as this http://www.timesharesbyowner.com/contact-us/timeshares-by-owner-locations.aspx Can anyone tell me anything about this company?

Cynthia F.
Mar 12, 2011

cindyr192 wrote:
This company called me and while I hear everyone saying never pay an upfront fee, .... They want $1797 to sell my 3 time shares that I don't want

Again, never ever pay anyone a large upfront fee to sell, rent out, or market your timeshare.

All this company will do is advertise your timeshare on some little-known website. It will not showcase your property to vacationers.

If they want that money to sell your timeshare, tell them that they will receive that money AFTER the sale and the check has cleared your bank account.

Lance C.
Mar 12, 2011

Does anyone have specific info on this company?

Cynthia F.

Last edited by cindyr192 on Mar 12, 2011 06:19 PM

Mar 13, 2011

cindyr192 wrote:
Does anyone have specific info on this company?

As Lance said above, if they ask for a large upfront fee, then they're a scam, period .... all they want is that fee, but if you don't believe us then take the plunge.

R P.
Mar 13, 2011

Copy and paste the URL below for more proof:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/timeshare-by-owner-c82393.html

R P.
Mar 13, 2011

never put money up front for someone to sell your timeshare. You can try to sell it yourself by posting on this site Redweek or through TUG even RCI has a classified section. Good luck.

Nancy S.
Mar 14, 2011

Thank you ...glad I checked here.

Cynthia F.
Mar 14, 2011

Deal with a real estate agent that has a real estate license. At least they have something to lose if the take advantage of you or put it on Redweek. www.ltrba.com 60 licensed real estate agents to choose from.

Judi Kozlowski - Re/Max P.
Mar 14, 2011

Misnomer about timeshare resales. You do not need a real estate license. The person that you speak to does need to have a telemarketing license. These come in 4 different varieties, including realestate sales. The key to look for here is if they claim to have interested buyers. Just ask yourself this: Where did you buy your timeshare? You are 1 of several thousand timeshare owners that want to sell their timeshare. Nobody wants to buy your timeshare. The best you can hope for is to find a company that does timeshare bailouts. This can only be done if your timeshare is paid off, it isn't cheap, but it gets you and your family out of the insidious contract you signed. Also, because of the pitch used by timeshare sales agents, referring to it as an investment, you can claim the price you are charged, as well as fees and initial cost of the timeshare as a loss on your taxes. Look into it. Never believe ANYONE who says they can sell your timeshare.

Stillinthe B.
May 02, 2014

WE get at least one call every week from companies that want to sell our Wyndham time share points. Time Shares by Owner is the most persistent. Unfortunately we did give them some upfront money back in 2009. Nothing happened until 2013 when they called to get us to upgrade (sound familiar?) to their TARGET list. I think you could change "target" to "sucker". They always had someone ready to buy our points, but the deal always fell through. Now they have a buyer again but need a $670 fee for transfer of the deed. It looks like just another scam.

Chuck
May 03, 2014

"Fool me once it's your fault .... fool me twice it's my fault". The deal will fall through again .... there's no buyer. And yes, since you gave them an upfront fee in 2009 you are on their 'sucker list'. (copy and paste url below for complaints against this company):

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/Timeshares+By+Owner

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on May 03, 2014 08:50 AM

Dec 05, 2017

Is there no way I can get out of my Wyndham timeshare if it’s not paid off and over $10,000 owing on it?

Vera S.

Last edited by veras36 on Dec 05, 2017 10:22 PM

Dec 05, 2017

I’ve had calls from several different companies asking me to talk to their ‘agent’ to see if I would qualify to get help to get out of my time share. When I ask them to send me a brochure on their company, I am told they do not have anything but they have a good review with their BBC and I can check out their website. I don’t trust them; should I be so paranoid?

Vera S.
Dec 05, 2017

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your timeshare . They are all SCAM companies .

Don P.
Dec 06, 2017

veras36 wrote:
I’ve had calls from several different companies asking me to talk to their ‘agent’ to see if I would qualify to get help to get out of my time share. When I ask them to send me a brochure on their company, I am told they do not have anything but they have a good review with their BBC and I can check out their website. I don’t trust them; should I be so paranoid?

You previously mentioned still owing $10,000 on a timeshare loan. Please understand very clearly that NO ONE ON PLANET EARTH can do ANYTHING about the fact that you once freely and voluntarily CHOSE to enter into that legally binding contractual obligation. I sympathize with your plight and I know that you would like for there to be some easy, magical escape, but please understand very clearly that NO such magical escape exists. Paying money to some parasite operation ready to take advantage of your desperation is not going to change those indisputable facts and will ultimately yield ZERO results.

I am not offering you legal advice and I am not providing input which is intended as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a licensed attorney in your own geographic area. Nonetheless, I will point out that since your Wyndham product is not now (and was never previously) worth $10,000, you can make the personal decision to simply default on the loan and not pay Wyndham another penny --- ever.

If you make that decision, there will be negative credit report consequences for about seven years, but you would also STOP paying money into something whose remaining loan balance far exceeds its' actual past, current or future value. I'm betting that $10,000 could be put to much better use in your life than throwing it at a greedy corporation, when the "product" you are making payments on is worth only a very few hundred dollars at most, and may actually be worth absolutely nothing at all. Even if it was paid off in full (which it is not), you would be hard pressed to find a willing new recipient in the resale market today.

Consider too the ongoing annual maintenance fee costs that you will continue to incur. You are in a difficult spot and you are faced with a difficult choice. You should really think long and hard about whether you want to place another $10,000 into Wyndham's pockets (Wyndham issues its' own loans "in house"). Whatever you have paid so far is gone forever no matter what you do, but you can still choose to stop any and all FUTURE financial drain.

Good luck. DO NOT waste a moment of your time (or a penny of your money) on ANY of those expensive and useless "exit / relief / escape / rescue" parasites. You have a loan obligation and NONE of them can help you in ANY way regarding that unpaid loan balance. The sole intent and purpose of such hungry parasites is simply to take money from desperate, vulnerable or gullible people. Please do not become one of those people.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 08, 2017 04:05 AM

Dec 06, 2017

I fell for for the pitch from Time Shares by Owner years ago. Paid them $1200 up front. They put my time share on a website with thousands of other hopeful sellers. It is still there. Never had an offer or a request for information. However, they do call back every 3 months or so to "upgrade" my listing so it will stand out. And we get plenty of calls from other time share resellers who have seen the listing. They all have similar pitches with different twists. Do not believe any of them.

Chuck
Dec 07, 2017

chucks93 wrote:
And we get plenty of calls from other time share resellers who have seen the listing. They all have similar pitches with different twists.

It's quite possible that these "other" resellers are the same people with just a different name. They saw that you fell for the scam once so they figure you will fall for it again out of desperation to sell.

Lance C.
Dec 08, 2017

lancec13 wrote:
chucks93 wrote:
And we get plenty of calls from other time share resellers who have seen the listing. They all have similar pitches with different twists.

It's quite possible that these "other" resellers are the same people with just a different name. They saw that you fell for the scam once so they figure you will fall for it again out of desperation to sell.

Good and valid points. Among these types of parasites, there are (with no personal offense intended toward anyone) "sucker lists" that get created, sold and otherwise circulated.

The callers could be some of the same people encountered previously, or they could be entirely new players who have simply acquired the "sucker list", but it doesn't really matter. They are ALL completely useless and obscenely expensive and, in the final analysis, NONE of them will do ANYTHING for you (except to take your "upfront" money, of course).

Forewarned is forearmed.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 08, 2017 04:18 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.