Point Systems

Conversion to RCI Points

Nov 26, 2011

Hi, The Park Plaza just went to RCI Points and I sat thru a presentation today. I liked the flexibility of the program, but was really disappointed when they told it would cost $4500 to "convert" to RCI points.

I'm not currently a member of RCI because I've always used my floating ski week at my home resort and have seen no need. I was wondering if this exorborant fee was typically or is there a way around it. I was wondering if I bought another Timeshare that was already enrolled in RCI Points could I just add this property to my account.

Any help would be appreciated!! I'm really struggling with shelling out thousands of dollars just to be granted some additional flexibility.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael T.
Nov 26, 2011

mtremose wrote:
Hi, The Park Plaza just went to RCI Points and I sat thru a presentation today. I liked the flexibility of the program, but was really disappointed when they told it would cost $4500 to "convert" to RCI points.

I'm not currently a member of RCI because I've always used my floating ski week at my home resort and have seen no need. I was wondering if this exorborant fee was typically or is there a way around it. I was wondering if I bought another Timeshare that was already enrolled in RCI Points could I just add this property to my account.

Any help would be appreciated!! I'm really struggling with shelling out thousands of dollars just to be granted some additional flexibility.

Thanks in advance, Mike

There's no need to shell out thousands of dollars for this. It's just another way resorts are trying to raise cash and empty your wallet. If you feel the desperate need and urge to own an RCI points property, I'm sure there are plenty available on E-bay and elsewhere for peanuts.

Like almost all things being offered by the resorts or their developers, they are not worth the price. Besides, if you usually use a floating week at your home resort, why pay for this conversion?

Lance C.
Nov 27, 2011

I understand that getting points based property is pretty easy in the resale market. My kids are getting older and I'm not sure we will keep going to our home resort when they don't want to go with us anymore. That's why I was wanting to convert to a points system.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a way around paying the resort a huge fee. I've heard that RCI only charges the resort a small fee. That's why I asked if you could just add a property if you already had a Points based property and account with RCI

Michael T.
Dec 16, 2011

I agree with lancec13 - try and buy RCI points somewhere else instead of shelling out the thousands of dollars. If your children are getting older and you don't know if you will be using this resort anymore, you might want to look into a few others. Some resorts charge when they switch over to RCI while others don't. It's just a a way for resorts to take even MORE of your money than they already do for your one week. Just a thought!

Emily A.
Dec 17, 2011

Why buy points when you already have weeks. Like everyone said it's just a way for them to bleed more money out of you. As soon as everyone buys points they will change the rules so you have to give them more money. I got rid of two timeshares this year because they keep trying to bilk me out of more money. I hated dealing with RCI. They just want your weeks and more money and you rarely get an exchange that you want. The best way is to go to this site or another one and rent a timeshare for probably less than the owner is paying in maintenance fees without the obligation to pay maintenace fees and assessments for the rest of your life.

Don P.
Dec 26, 2011

How did you get rid of your timeshares? Were you able to find someone to buy them? Could you tell me where they were located? Thanks,

Linda G.
Dec 27, 2011

I have timeshares in St Maarten.

Jane L.
Mar 06, 2012

How did you get rid of your timeshare? We supposedly have a deeded timeshare, which was a week, but Wyndham has changed us to points. We would like to get rid of it, but really have no idea how to go about it.

Nancy H.
Mar 06, 2012

I got rid of two timeshares by simply calling them and arranging to give them back using quit claim deeds. I had deeded weeks. Points are another thing. To me points are just air. The big players can just increase the number of points needed for exhanges at their will. It's just like the treasury printing more money. I still own one property in Las Vegas that I won't part with. If I want to use another timeshare I can just go to this site or another one and rent one for probably less than the owner is paying in maintenance fees. My personal opinion is that the timeshare industry has shot itself in the foot by over building and inflating their fees.

Don P.
Mar 13, 2012

If you own one points property, you can book ALL you own into the points system. For several years they were brokering inexpensive points properties under the guise that they were changing to a more valuable points based system that would guarrantee your exchange 10 months out. We did buy one, and it worked the first 2 years ($5000 + another "@#" maintenance fee), does not work any longer. They (RCI) were just here asking us to pay a $5000 fee for entry into their new system which would make it extremely easy to use their exchange. We did not participate. This is definitely RCI represetatives, we called RCI to confirm. They have bought thousands of time share properties to sell to make this work.

Bobbi M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.