Timeshare Companies

Vida Vacations & Grand Mayan lies

Mar 08, 2020

I just got back last week from Cancun. I did a tour at the Vidanta. They have a program called Limitless vacations which I purchased for 1950.00 Has anyone purchased this? It allows me to purchase weeks for 299.00 or less anywhere in the world. They also gave me a week at Vidanta for free.

I just want to know if anyone has tried to book any trips or maybe I should try to dispute with my credit card company.

Thanks, Becky

Rebecca A.
Mar 08, 2020

rebeccaa99 wrote:
I just want to know if anyone has tried to book any trips or maybe I should try to dispute with my credit card company.

If you purchased within the last five days, you can rescind. If it's beyond five days, you can try disputing with your CC company but there is very little chance the CC will side with you but it's worth a shot.

Lance C.
Mar 08, 2020

Never heard of it, but rest assured it's a scam. This company is a hoax, so I would read your contract VERY carefully, find the hitch, and dispute the charge with your credit card company/bank ASAP. You'll live to regret it, if you don't!!

Linde H.
Apr 02, 2020

Can you please give me the contact info for PROFECO - I will search this site to see if I can locate it in the meantime - Thanks much :)

Carol M.
Apr 02, 2020

OK I found it - contact info of PROFECO

Av. José Vasconcelos 208, Col. Condesa, Del. Cuauhtémoc, Mexico City. CP 06140

Telephone: (55) 5625 6700 Attention to citizens: 800 468 8722 Federal Consumer Attorney

What is your request about? Send your questions or comments to: doubtsportal@profeco.gob.mx

Carol M.
Apr 03, 2020

I had a positive experience with PROFECO. Their email address is extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx, and they got back to me, scheduled a hearing, and contacted the resort on my behalf. On Pages 29-30 you can read about what happened with me.

Linde H.
Apr 08, 2020

Hi all ! I have been reading this thread as my husband and I have bought a timeshare and had issues with it ever since !!! A friend of ours suggested we contact PFCM (Protection for foreign consumer in Mexico) for some legal advice. And we are glad we did !! The truth of our real contract came out. Turned out we didn't bought what we thought we had.

Cathy A.
Apr 08, 2020

Cathy ~ We are now in contact with Profeco - please advise on what you found out about your contract, and if Profeco is helping you get out of it / cancel it? Any advice much appreciated ~ thanks! Carol

Carol M.
May 16, 2020

Someone who reached out to me filed a complaint with Profeco. Profeco was amazing. We have a Spanish speaking volunteer to translate complaints. Profeco assigns a mediator. The first offer was to take back the timeshare after paying off the loan. The member through the mediator proposed forfeiting the down payment and cancelling the loan. That offer was accepted. The company was Vidanta/Grand Myan. We submitted an article about what happened to the Yucatan Times. Part of the settlement the member had to agree not to publish articles which is why we did not name Vidanta in the article about Profeco to be published next Wednesday. We also edited Vidanta's name out of the article we published two months ago about what happened. Our goal is not to smear the company. Our goal is to bring fairness to the consumer. The other pending complaint is against Krystal. From the article:

If Profeco accepts your case, you will be assigned a case number and a mediator. The person filing the complaint will not be speaking on their behalf in conference calls. The mediator is the go-between. The mediator does not decide who is right or wrong. There will be three attempts to mediate. If mediation fails, the only option is to pursue your dispute with Méxican law. Good luck with that!

In the case of our timeshare buyer who was able to resolve her dispute, resolution came in the form of her counter offer to the timeshare company’s initial offer. Most resolutions come about through compromise.

Throughout the dispute process, keep in contact with the timeshare company and keep copies of all correspondence, including emails and financial records. It’s best to send documents by certified mail, return receipt requested. Dispute any bills received and respond to all requests for collection. Monitor your credit report and dispute any downgrade. If collection calls become harassing, an individual can send a “cease and desist” letter to stop harassing calls.

Irene P.
Jul 14, 2020

Hello

Martin M.

Last edited by martinm214 on Jul 16, 2020 01:48 PM

Jul 14, 2020

I would contact PROFECO. Their email address is extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx, and they got back to me, scheduled a hearing, and contacted the resort on my behalf. On Pages 29-30 you can read about what happened with me.

Linde H.
Jul 15, 2020

Hi Again Linde, I emailed PROFECO several times & got no response. Did you translate your emails into Spanish? Thanks so much!

Laura B.

Last edited by laurab848 on Jul 15, 2020 07:14 AM

Jul 15, 2020

Yes, I did. You can find a translation service online -- Babylon, for instance -- which is free. It took them a few days to get back to me, but once they did, they got right on the case! Best of luck to you!!

Linde H.
Jul 15, 2020

Yes I actually was able to dispute past the 5 days with my CC. I did get a full refund.

Thanks!

Rebecca A.
Jul 15, 2020

I tried to rescind a contract in January 2018. Vida Vacations would not let me. As a last resort "that's the best we can do" I signed a contract instead for the nearly worthless Celebrate Park contract. I tried PROFECO and had several hearings. Although the English of the lawyers (or whoever) of Vida was horrid, PROFECO did nothing to try to get us to come to an agreement. I know that PROFECO cannot litigate, but they did NOTHING to clarify what Vida was trying to say and asked me no questions about my "side" of it. As far as my experience, they are WORTHLESS!!

Barbara H.
Jul 15, 2020

I also disputed it with my credit card company and got a refund. I also had a loan with Vida. Did you? They want me to pay off the loan, but I am ignoring them. This company is a lovely place to stay as long as you do not attend a presentation and buy. They just lie, lie, lie!

rebeccaa99 wrote:
Yes I actually was able to dispute past the 5 days with my CC. I did get a full refund.

Thanks!

Kathy H.
Sep 15, 2020

I was successful with my credit card dispute. Vida (Vidanta) terminated all my accounts and I am not out any money. It took a long, long time. The sales person contacted me by email and phone, which I ignored, just prior to them canceling. I guess it was his last ditch effort to have me agree to something foolish over the phone, never in writing.

Beware, do not attend a presentation.

Kathy H.
Jan 09, 2021

Same thing happened just last October to us. Any update on your situation?

Kenneth T.
Jan 09, 2021

My wife and I spent the week of Oct. 18-25, 2020 at Grand Luxxe Rivera Maya for my 70th Birthday. During checkin we agreed to a "Member Update". They assured us that this was not a sales pitch. This was the first of many lies. After breakfast, we were taken to a cubicle for our "update" person. We spent 5 hours enduring this ordeal, and reluctantly agreed to purchase an Imperial Gardens package at Nuevo vallarta that he promised would be paired with our current Grand Luxxe contract, increasing the value of both contracts, and easier for him to sell for us once Vidanta goes public, "in about 18 months".

We are both in our 70s with no grandchildren and no use for this property and we will never use it. To make a long story short, we bought this package under false pretenses on many levels. We have contacted Vidanta Member Services requesting our money back to no avail. We know now that we should have walked away, but based on the lies told to us by the agent, we did not. Any information on how to proceed with battling Vidanta will e greatly appeciated.

Kenneth T.
Jan 09, 2021

Unfortunately, they won't let you out of your contract. You can either hire one of those companies to get you out of the deal --you can just go after them via social media (i.e. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn) with negative posts on a constant basis (and I mean CONSTANT). Go to the hotel review sites, also, and give them negative reviews with photos of how dirty the property was, how bad the service was, how terrible the sales pitch was, etc. Nail them to the wall at least three times per day on all the sites I mentioned. They'll try to block you, but get creative and don't back down. Eventually they'll cave, as they did with me after about two months. It's a lot of time and effort, but it depends on how badly you want your money back.

Good luck!

Linde H.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jan 09, 2021 02:09 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.