Timeshare Companies

Interval International vs. RCI

Feb 28, 2012

We have been with Interval International since 2005. We have had good luck getting the resorts we want for the times we want. The company that runs our home resort recently began working with RCI. We now have the option of staying with Interval or switching to RCI.

With Interval, we exchange a week for a week without any points to consider. I understand RCI works on a points system, which scares me a little since I know nothing about it.

Does anyone have a preferance between the two companies? Any advice or opinions? Thanks!

Natalie E.
Feb 28, 2012

I wouldn't use RCI if the membership was free. They used to be a good company but have taken a nose dive since taken over by Cendant. We used to get exchanges we wanted but now they sell the prime properties on the open market depriving members of quality exchanges. My personal advice is to stay with Interval.

Don P.
Feb 29, 2012

Thanks for the info. I've seen a lot of complaints about Interval on other message boards, but I have never had any problems.

Natalie E.
Sep 23, 2012

I had ii and switched to rci. It has the most resorts than any other company and never had any problems. I never stay at my home resort and travel anywhere with a 199 exchange fee. I take 2weekend get a ways every 2 months for 49.00 u really have to understand and learn how to use your timeshare. Some of the resorts I wanted to stay at was rci so I switch.

Kelly R.
Jan 27, 2013

Hi, We JUST bought a timeshare with RCI and can not help but be skeptical of the whole thing. We have up to 7 days to cancel. What is your experience with RCI? I've seen others post they have had difficulty finding an available exchange. I am also concerned that they charged us $ up front as I have read that may be a scam. Help!

Melissa B.
Jan 27, 2013

RCI has always increased their fees. They are strictly a money hungry company in my opinion. They should be the poster boys for corporate greed. It's your choice. You can always rent a timeshare through this site or others rather than be stuck paying their never ending rising maintenace fees. If you decide to recind your contract make sure you send it certified receipt return so they can't deny you cancelled. Make sure you dot all the I's and cross all the T's so they can't say you did something wrong. I found that it was like pulling teeth to try to get a decent exchange. They promise you everything to get you to sign on the dotted line and then you have to fight to get the exchange you want.

Don P.
Jan 27, 2013

melissab507 wrote:
Hi, We JUST bought a timeshare with RCI and can not help but be skeptical of the whole thing. We have up to 7 days to cancel. What is your experience with RCI? I've seen others post they have had difficulty finding an available exchange. I am also concerned that they charged us $ up front as I have read that may be a scam. Help!

Your post is a little unclear. You can't buy a timeshare with RCI. RCI is an exchange company. It does not sell timeshares. Do you perhaps mean that you bought a timeshare at a resort that's affiliated with RCI?

If you've just bought a timeshare, are unsure about your purchase, and still have time to rescind, then I strongly recommend you follow the instructions for rescinding exactly as shown in your contract.

Those instructions may be cleverly hidden or in very small print. But by law, they must be there in your contract. Look very carefully and thoroughly for them. Then, follow the instructions exactly as outlined including how and where to send your rescission letter.

Lance C.
Jan 28, 2013

Somehow this sounds a little like the PRL scam. They use RCI's name to sell a wothless timeshares and then disappear after making all kinds of promises. I agree with Lance. cancel immediately. Better to err on the side of caution. If it is a ligitimate company they will always let you buy back in if you change your mind. If it's a scam you just saved thousands of dollars.

Don P.
Jan 28, 2013

melissab507 wrote:

I think she meant that RCI is the exchange company affiliated with the resort where she bought.

One rule of thumb is to never buy from the developer as you can get the exact same deal for pennies on the dollar via resale.

You need to cancel ASAP .... follow the directions for rescission in your contract and send it USPS with return receipt = they have to sign that they got it. It doesn't have to be anything other than a note stating " I changed my mind, please cancel my contract". It's the post mark that counts not when they received it.

You need to research timesharing backwards and forwards before committing yourself to buying.

R P.
May 13, 2013

RCI has a points system but they also have a weeks system. I belong to RCI Weeks and I love it. My only complaint is that they don't have enough resorts in cities and too many "country" resorts but other than that I have had very positive experiences.

Agnes R.
Jun 04, 2019

I have been with rci for years, now have the opportunity to switch to interval. I prefer staying in cities and love European and US travel. What do you recommend I do?

Diana I.
Jun 04, 2019

dianai17 wrote:
I have been with rci for years, now have the opportunity to switch to interval. I prefer staying in cities and love European and US travel. What do you recommend I do?

I recommend you check each exchange company's website for its respective inventory and resort affiliations and then decide which of the two has resorts more to your liking.

Lance C.
Jul 13, 2019

Whatever you do don’t give up a deed for a points system. These companies lie to you about anything to get your deed away from you. You have trouble booking anything and they stay overbooked. You can’t use your points where and when you want to. They sell weeks on open markets like Expedia, etc and you can call and book a week at the resort you want and pay cash but can’t use points thru DRI or RCI , etc because nothing is available. Lol. They think we are idiots. You can buy a timeshare on the open exchange oceanfront in a nice place for $5,000 or less. Go online and look. Educate yourself don’t waste money with these people.

Ann A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.