Harborside Resort at Atlantis

New to Red Week..just a little skeptical..

Apr 29, 2012

Hey there...just a quick question..

We are new to Red Week..and I'm wondering if anyone has ever rented a week here and had a bad experience? Is there any chance that we'll get out there and the condo doesn't even exist?

Beth C.
May 01, 2012

I had the same concerns before using redweek the first time. It is worth the little bit of money to pay for a membership so that you can see all of the descriptions, reviews etc. They really help. I contacted the owner I wanted to rent from. I asked to see documentation showing that they own that timeshare. They did email it to me. Then I called the resort directly and verified that the paperwork I had is correct...they do indeed own the week and unit that is being advertised. The resorts are not willing to give out personal information, but they are willing to verify what you already know. Everything worked out fine for me. I have only rented off redweek twice, but would definitely do so again.

Brenda S.
May 08, 2012

We have owned a two bedroom lockoff at Harborside since 2001 - 2 weeks (week 5 & week 25) . We purchased pre-construction and have never missed a week in all those years. More than 20 visits and only one week where the weather was bad. Harborside is still the best dstination in the Carribean... and we have been to most over the past 35 years. We own a fixed unit (4th floor corner overlooking the marina) and fixed weeks. We have rented out half of the 2 bedroom unit several times quite successfully... always rented throught RedWeek. Like buying or renting real estate anywhere... do your research - but most importantly, rent from an OWNER, not a BROKER and ONLY RENT A FIXED UNIT AND WEEK.... or else you might be disappointed to find no unit available or a unit with a view if the Paradise Island Bridge (not a nice view). Join RedWeek and use their resources, they are the best. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions... I almost feel like a native and can give you good restaurant and activity suggestions if you go. P.S. we seldom eat at any Atlantis restaurants... way too expensive!!! But there are some really great affordable restaurants on Nassau and only a short taxi ride away.

Donna H.

Last edited by edwardh8 on May 08, 2012 07:37 AM

May 19, 2012

edwardh8,

I agree with you 110% about renting a fixed week. I'm doing my research on Harborside@Atlantis and Leaning toward purchasing a fixed week, as this is written in stone, therefore making it easier to rent if necessary. Considering have been an owner there since 2001 my questions to you are:

1.What are the best week #'s to buy a fixed week in?

2.After reading the forums, it seems that there has been a extremely large increase in the MF's over the past few years, do you believe they will continue to rise this rapidly, or was this for a certain project/special assessment?

3. How can I determine from a resale listing, if the unit is in a good section and, "Not facing the Paradise Island Bridge" as you say..lol.

thanks!!!!!

Todd H.
May 19, 2012

HI Todd, 1. The best week to buy is whatever week you really want to go to Harborside. Late July-Nov are hurricane season and the weather might not be so nice. The prices on the resale market are all over the place so watch for a deal on a fixed week in a desirable time slot. We own week #5 and week #25. One is in winter, but after the bad weather and when things start to warm up a bit. And a week in mid-summer, when it is usually quite warm, but usually with an air blowing to keep you comfortable. Also, make sure the unit you are considering buying is paid off and has no encumbrances or mortgages on it and all the MF are paid to date. 2. MFs at ALL timeshares are going up... it's just a fact of life in the timeshare market. Labor costs are increasing in the islands as the standard of living improves. The weather (hurricanes & storms) sometimes can do a lot of damage and the owners ultimately pay for the repairs in increased MF's. Harborside does an excellant job of keeping the place looking like new. Out fixed unit was completely renovated last year with all new TVs, furniture and appliances. 3. Ask the owner for a resort plan indicating where the unit is located... and on what floor. Avoid the first floor for possible security and view issues. The higher, the better... The corner units sometimes have balconies in both sides of a two bedroom lock off. The non-corner lock offs do not have balconies in the smaller unit. Most of the phase #1 buildings have either a pool, harbor or marina view. Some of the phase #2 buildings can have less desirable views. Our weeks are both in the same unit which is a 4th floor corner lock off overlooking both the Atlantis Marina and the Nassau harbor. By being one of the first buyers we were able to pick what we considered to be the best unit and in two time periods that worked for us.

NOTE: Timeshare ownership is not for everyone. It can be expensive and most facilities depreciate rapidly.... Harborside has probably been the best facility that we own in from a retained value point of view. Consider renting for a few times to get to know the facility and see how you like it. Regards, Ed

Donna H.
May 21, 2012

Thankyou for the detailed response!! The only thing holding me back from purchasing a week is the maintenance fee for a 1/1 which is currently around $1,600- I'm sure this would crawl up to 2k in no time...it's still cheaper than paying to stay there though. The other concern is non-existent all inclusive packages at this location, could be an extremely pricey week with everything out of pocket, never mind alcoholic beverages. I'm going to take your advice and visit first!!

Thanks again, Todd

Todd H.
Jun 04, 2012

Hello, We just booked a room through fun at harbor side Atlantis website. I didn't realize to look at timesharevrentals until we already paid for our room. Have you ever heard or dealt with this company all they do is the Atlantis only?

I would love info on local places to dine. We are traveling with 3kids ages 4,12,and 15. All the reviews I am reading all say how expensive food is. We are thinking og purchasing the meal plan but are still not certain that's the way to go since it only cover breakfast and dinner no lunch.

I look forward to hearing from you on some tips.

With regards, Stella

Stella. J.
Jan 17, 2013

Hello, I myself am thinking abouting this as well, I have 9 year old Triplets, and am wondering if I rent a timeshare from Redweek are all the same amenities included as if I were reserving directly from Atlantis website? IE; the waterpark and such? I called Atlantis this morning and they want me to pay for 2 rooms because of the 3rd child!! Thanks for any input, Lisa

edwardh8 wrote:
We have owned a two bedroom lockoff at Harborside since 2001 - 2 weeks (week 5 & week 25) . We purchased pre-construction and have never missed a week in all those years. More than 20 visits and only one week where the weather was bad. Harborside is still the best dstination in the Carribean... and we have been to most over the past 35 years. We own a fixed unit (4th floor corner overlooking the marina) and fixed weeks. We have rented out half of the 2 bedroom unit several times quite successfully... always rented throught RedWeek. Like buying or renting real estate anywhere... do your research - but most importantly, rent from an OWNER, not a BROKER and ONLY RENT A FIXED UNIT AND WEEK.... or else you might be disappointed to find no unit available or a unit with a view if the Paradise Island Bridge (not a nice view). Join RedWeek and use their resources, they are the best. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions... I almost feel like a native and can give you good restaurant and activity suggestions if you go. P.S. we seldom eat at any Atlantis restaurants... way too expensive!!! But there are some really great affordable restaurants on Nassau and only a short taxi ride away.

Lisa P.
Jun 05, 2013

I just joined redweek & am thinking about renting a 2 bedroom unit. I am very skepitcal because I was he asked for half down & the balance once the papers are signed & approved by the resort. Is it customary to do this? What protection do I have & do I have a certain amount of time to cancel? Would I get my money back if I cancel w/in a certain amount of time? Is there insurance for people in this kind of situation? I certainly don't want to loose $4000 just because I didn't do the right thing. Please help me any way you can. Thanks Mary

edwardh8 wrote:

Mary T.

Last edited by phyl21 on Jun 05, 2013 02:03 PM

Jun 05, 2013

I'm sorry .........I meant to ask all those questions to an owner at Harbourside & sent it to you by mistake.

Mary

Mary T.
Jun 16, 2013

Excellent reply and info. Thanks thinking of using Red Week

Spencer S.
Jul 07, 2013

I own several floating gold units and could not be happier. I like the flexibility of going weeks 18-34, 47-49 (May 1-Aug. 31 and Nov 18-Dec 14 dates are approximate) the gold float includes holidays; July 4th and Thanksgiving. I don't always want to go the same week. I have never not received the week I wanted when calling exactly one year out at 9:00 AM.Even with Marriott timeshares you must call one year out as there are no fixed weeks at all, only seasons.

Paula F.
May 12, 2014

Hi,

I have been an owner since 2005, and have been every year since then. I have a floating 1/1 unit that varies, but I never have a problem getting the unit I request (a corner facing the water). I'm not picky about whether it faces the marina or the bridge as long as it faces the water. That is all about preference, and quite frankly you really won't be spending much time in the villa to really notice the difference.

You are correct, the MF are slowly creeping, but it will take a few years for them to reach 2K. I started out paying ~$1200 in 2005, so it's not a huge jump (unless something serious happens to cause a spike). It is most definitely cheaper than you will ever pay to stay at the Beach Towers for a whole week...with no full kitchen, washing machine, etc.

I have learned a few tips and tricks to save money on the meals and beverages. I pack a separate carry-on suitcase with dry goods such as oatmeal, cereal, spaghetti noodles, snacks, seasonings, etc. The last couple years I did a grocery run to get stuff you can't carry-on like liquid, perishable items, lunch meat, etc. I cooked enough food to last at least 2.5 days for lunch and dinner for 2 people. There is also a Chinese restaurant called Double Dragon that does family-style delivery. You can do about $35 worth of take-out to last several meals as well. Any of the restaurants you visit at the Fish Fry gives you enough food for 3 people - doggie bag!! As for the alcohol, there are duty-free liquor stores everywhere. Buy a couple of bottles of what you want along with your juice/mixers and some SOLO cups and you're feeling nice all week. You should never have to eat at the hotel for anything unless you absolutely want to splurge on something specific.

Being an owner affords me the opportunity to take a trip to the Bahamas like I'm headed to Vegas for the weekend...and I live in Cali. You will definitely see the rewards once you familiarize yourself with the process. Happy sunning!!

toddh181 wrote:
Thankyou for the detailed response!! The only thing holding me back from purchasing a week is the maintenance fee for a 1/1 which is currently around $1,600- I'm sure this would crawl up to 2k in no time...it's still cheaper than paying to stay there though. The other concern is non-existent all inclusive packages at this location, could be an extremely pricey week with everything out of pocket, never mind alcoholic beverages. I'm going to take your advice and visit first!!

Thanks again, Todd

RaShae W.
Sep 09, 2014

You were asking about the mealplan with 3 kids. I would say you are better off without it. Each unit has a kitchen (not all with ovens). Order your groceries on line before you get there and make as many meals as you can. We saw the foodstore2go truck 2 years ago at Harborside and now use them every year. It saves us a ton of money and also time waiting in line and at restaurants. I have 2 boys and they are always hungry on vacation. Get your beer from them in cans and you can take them to the pool too. Enjoy. Harborside is our family tradition.

stellaj4 wrote:
Hello, We just booked a room through fun at harbor side Atlantis website. I didn't realize to look at timesharevrentals until we already paid for our room. Have you ever heard or dealt with this company all they do is the Atlantis only?

I would love info on local places to dine. We are traveling with 3kids ages 4,12,and 15. All the reviews I am reading all say how expensive food is. We are thinking og purchasing the meal plan but are still not certain that's the way to go since it only cover breakfast and dinner no lunch.

I look forward to hearing from you on some tips.

With regards, Stella

Jason S.
Dec 01, 2014

I'm eager to know how you are getting to book the week you want. We love Harborside but for the last 2 years it's been very difficult to book the weeks we want, even though we are platinum owners and attempting to book a year out in our own period. It seems you now have to book online at midnightET rather than 9am???

Neil H.
May 15, 2015

Hi, I am brand new to Redweek. MY family of 5 has been wanting to go to Atlantis for years, but it is just so expensive and I thought maybe doing it this way would be affordable for us. We are looking to go in August, which I know is risky because of hurricaine season, but…. My specific questions, if you are willing to answer, are: Can we buy insurance so that we can get our money back in the event of a hurricane or otherwise cancelled trip? Any other general advice or comments?

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy M.

Last edited by phyl21 on May 15, 2015 02:07 PM

May 18, 2016

If you stay/rent a week at harborside, do you still have access to all the resorts amenities as a normal hotel guest would in the towers, etc?

Ben T.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.