Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone ever been scammed using redweek?

Jun 22, 2012

Just trying to be careful before I spend a lot of $$$$$!!

Beth C.
Jun 22, 2012

Great idea. Ask any questions you want. It's much better to research before you give anyone money. That's the idea of the forums to avoid being ripped off. There are thousands of scammers out there coming up with new ideas everyday to part you from your money. I wish more people would ask questions first instead of coming in here telling us how they got scammed.

Don P.
Jun 23, 2012

bethc210 wrote:
Just trying to be careful before I spend a lot of $$$$$!!

I don't know if you're buying, selling or renting but make sure a contract is in place stipulating the terms and signed by all parties

R P.
Jul 06, 2012

I have used Redweek twice to sell my timeshare week (two different years). I have never been scammed or scammed anyone. The people on here are very helpful. Good luck.

Tracey F.
Jul 08, 2012

I have rented a week off owners for Marriott villas in myrtle beach and Hilton head for the past 6 years off of Redweek. . I have never had any trouble until this year. After finding the week I want I contact the owner and make arrangements to sign the contract and make the payment. I always call Marriott and confirm the person I'm renting from is an owner before sending the money. And I have a contract faxed to me, I sign it then the owner signs it and faxes me a copy. This method has worked for me for the first 5 years and I have dealt with wonderful and helpful owners. Last February I made arrangements to secure our week for this summer just like I have in years past. We were looking to rent a week during the 4th of July at Marriott Oceanwatch villas in Myrtle Beach, SC. For those of you unfamiliar with that property there are 4 main views that correspond to the views. There are 6 buildings 3 in the front, up close to the ocean, in a "U" shape, then 3 buildings behind the front three and back from the ocean a little ways. The front 3 buildings, the Scallop, the conch and the Starfish (middle one) all have oceanfront views. Then the two on the sides of the U which are the scallop and the conch have "oceanside" views as well. They are the sides of those 2 buildings either poolside or Oceanside, both with excellent up close views of the ocean. There are no ocean views on the starfish building as that building is oceanfront views only. Then the three buildings behind the front 3 were built later on and they are called the Maple Magnolia and Pine. These buildings DO NOT have oceanfront or Oceanside views as the front three do, they only have oceanside which is from the 7th floors and up and have a limited view of the ocean, then garden view which are lower floors and have no views of the ocean. We always get an "oceanfront" view guaranteeing one of the front 3 buildings and facing the ocean. This year I contacted an owner who listed his week June 30th thru July 7th and OCEANFRONT. When I asked for a contract he said he would send me one after he got the confirmation from Marriott. I had never done things this way but had confirmed he was an owner through Marriott and went ahead with the tranaction. He cashed my check and never sent me a contrat like he said he would. I contacted Marriott and they confirmed he had made the reservation in my name so they (Marriott) sent me my confirmation number. I just assumed I was dealing with a very unorganized person who doesn't return emails in a timely manner. I felt comfortable with the transaction because I had a confirmation no from Marriott. Around June 1st I called Marriott to put in a room request, just like I always do and that's when I got the news. Marriott told me my room was OCEANSIDE AND NOT OCEANFRONT, which is what I paid for. I immediately called the owner and he told me I was getting the corner room on one of the front two building with a deck facing the pool and a deck facing the ocean and that's why Marriott terms it "Oceanside." this was a flat out lie! First of all, those rooms are OCEANFRONT, not Oceanside, and Marriott confirmed with me that this owner owned several weeks there but none were oceanfront, they were all Oceanside. Secondly, an owner CANNOT PROMISE YOU WHERE your room will be. You only get a certain view based on what they purchased. I called him back again. I asked for a full refund so I could rent a week from another owner that was oceanfront. He waited a whole week to reply to my email and told me that I had 24 hrs to tell him if I wanted a full refund or to keep the room. Well by this time we were a week away from leaving and all other oceanfront weeks for that date were now rented. He waited to refund me after he saw all the other roms rented for our week gone on Redweek. I then told him I would love a refund but there are no other weeks available for our dates, but then again, he already knew that. That was the only reason he was offering me a full refund....he knew i wouldnt take it. I told him to refund me $800 to compensate for the downgrade in views I'm getting when he advertised for a prime oceanfront room during the most busiest week of the year. I could have saved $800 if I rented an Oceanside room that week clear back in February. He wouldn't answer emails nor my phone calls. I was scammed! So Beware when renting these views you get what your paying for. I had always had a good experience before and trusted this person based on previous years experiences. Always get a contract prior to sending payment. If they won't do it, rent from someone who will. This was the whole reason this owner was not sending me a contract. He was afraid I'd read it! Redweek was no help. They said because it was a contract between an owner and myself, they could not do anything. Redweek apparently only allows 3 choices in views when owners list their weeks: Oceanfront, ocean view and garden, there is no option for Oceanside, so some owners will list their Oceanside week as oceanfront and then tell you in the description that it is considered an Oceanside view by Marriott but is a great view of the ocean and up close. Some won't tell you at all. They let you believe your getting oceanfront. Only someone like me who is familiar with the property would catch this, I only wish I caught it before I rented my week. I recommended to Redweek that they cancell all rentals by this particular owner and never allow him to rent on the site again, but they didn't agree. This man is still renting and is still misleading renters so BEWARE! I hope this story helps one owner. If it does it will be worth it.

Robin H.
Jul 09, 2012

This is why, if it is possible, to rent from the same owners every year that's given you what you asked for in the past .... and book that week very early in the year (I'd say at least 6 months earlier than your check-in date, especially for a prime holiday week).

I'm surprised Redweek would allow someone to post an ad with wrong information (or unclear information). They should, at least, make him correct the ad.

R P.
Jul 09, 2012

Also, to be fair, Redweek should add 'oceanside' as a view for this particular resort.

R P.
Jul 16, 2012

I would like to Verify an owner prior to renting. It's at a Marriott Vacation Club in Aruba. Is there a general number for all the Vacation Clubs or do I contact the Vacation club in Aruba.

Vivian H.
Jul 17, 2012

I would call the reservation department at the resort where they are owners. In your case, in Aruba. It is very helpful if you have their name address and especially phone number. Good luck.

Robin H.
Jul 17, 2012

@JayJay Yes, this would prevent a lot of problems. I agree.

Robin H.

Last edited by robinh130 on Jul 17, 2012 02:17 AM

Jul 17, 2012

Hi Robin,

In mid June, we put notes on the owner's account to document the issues that you have had as per the email string where you contacted us. Since owners add their own postings, RedWeek isn't responsible for the errors on the postings. The view should have been posted as 'ocean view' rather then ocean front. Without the use of a vacation rental escrow company there isn't much that can be done. If an escrow company had been used you could have disputed the rental fee.

We sincerely hope that you continue to have great experiences using RedWeek and not let this one bad rental ruin your previous satisfaction with us.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F

Last edited by kyliec on Mar 19, 2013 10:04 AM

Mar 03, 2013

I am one of owners, so I am on offering side of the transaction. I never had any problems (I am using Redweeks for the last 5 yr). I always asking renters to sign the Renter's Agreement Contract which is leagal document in case of any disputes, it is protection on both side of the transaction . Highly remmending. I have guests coming back to me the following year and I am getting referrals business.

Irene A.

Last edited by irenea26 on Mar 03, 2013 03:47 PM

Mar 03, 2013

I have 2 different ones to sell, would you say that the experience was easy to complete?

Christine M.
Mar 04, 2013

Irenea was talking about renting her unit. If you want to sell you can use redweek also. They are reputable and only list the sale. You have to find a closing comapny yourself. the number 1 rule for selling a timeshare is NEVER pay anyone upfront money to sell your timeshare. You will probably receive offers from companies claiming they have buyers waiting. That's a scam. If they say there are no upfront fees they are lying. They will lead you along until they set the hook and then claim there is a " fee " that has to be paid before they can complete the sale. That's the scam.

Use a site like redweek or TUG to list your timeshare and a reputable closing company to complete the paperwork. Do your homework and don't fall prey to the scammers. They respond to ads posted on all sites. Good luck.

Don P.
Mar 17, 2013

hi was wonder about your renters application agreement . I have a couple unit i was going to rent out this coming summer and have not been able to put one together that seemed to do the trick..

I would appreciate a copy of what you are using to serve as a good point of reference.

thanks carl carl2591 at yahoo dot com email if you want to send it me that way.

if you go on tug2 dot net you can search me there.

Carl N.
Mar 18, 2013

SAMPLE RENTAL AGREEMENT (however you can word it anyway you wish)

RESERVATIONS - Upon mutual agreement of unit rental, a ____% deposit must be made to confirm your reservation. Balance is due upon written confirmation or no later than _________, 2013. Payment is to be made with a bankcheck/draft (or a personal check if you accept that mode).

CANCELLATIONS - No cancellation allowed once a reservation has been made.

CHECK-IN/OUT - Check-in time is _____ P.M. on arrival date of __________, 2013. Check-out time is _____A.M. on date of departure of_________, 2013. Any exceptions must have prior approval from the owner and/or resort. The agreed upon rental price for the above stated timeframe or week of ______, 2013 is ________$ for unit number ____ at _________ (resort).

RULES AND REGULATIONS - Upon check-in, you must present a credit card to the front desk personnel, just like when you rent a hotel room. YOU are responsible for any damage, loss or theft incurred while renting this property. Any damage, which is not considered normal wear and tear, loss or theft caused by you, the renter, may be charged to your credit card. In order to reserve the integrity of the unit, we ask that it be occupied in a quiet and dignified manner. As guests of ______________(resort), you are expected to respect the premises and its contents and guard against damage, loss or theft. You are expected to adhere to all of _______________(resort) rules and regulations. The _____________ (resort), its employees and property owners will not be held libel for any claims, suits, damages, costs, losses and/or expenses arising from injury to any person or property occurring on the premises resulting from/relating to rental of this property. The renter must be at least 21 years of age and agrees not to sub-rent this unit. The rental rights acquired from this rental agreement are non-transferable.

TELEPHONE - All telephone calls, toll calls etc. will be billed to your credit card. NO PETS ALLOWED AT______________ (RESORT) AND NO SMOKING ALLOWED IN THE UNITS. A copy of this rental agreement is hereby acknowledged by both parties.

___________________ ___________________ Signature of renter Signature of owner

Name, address, phone Name, address, phone __________________ __________________

R P.
Mar 18, 2013

I also posted this in the general discussions. I am a newbie to redweek and I am looking to rent an all inclusive. However I have found several places with a very low nightly rate. I am talking in the $20 to $40 or so range a night. How can this be? Is this too good to be true?

I see the advise to call the resort to see if the owners are listed. Any other suggestions for a newbie to rent a place.

Thanks,

Janet

Janet Z.
Mar 18, 2013

thanks, that will be a good starting point for us. c

Carl N.
Mar 19, 2013

janetz16 wrote:
I also posted this in the general discussions. I am a newbie to redweek and I am looking to rent an all inclusive. However I have found several places with a very low nightly rate. I am talking in the $20 to $40 or so range a night. How can this be? Is this too good to be true?

I see the advise to call the resort to see if the owners are listed. Any other suggestions for a newbie to rent a place.

Thanks,

Janet

I would be suspicious of a $20-$40 nightly rental rate ..... I would look for something more realistic.

R P.
Mar 19, 2013

Redweeks has a sample of rental agreement which very professional, just modify it for your preference: payment termed, refund policy an so on... Irene

Irene A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.