Point Systems

Marriott Vacation Club point system

Mar 31, 2013

Can anyone tell me if you buy a resale can you convert that to DC points? Also along the same line, if you buy a resale can you turn it in for Marriott Reward points if you are not able to use the unit during any specific year?

Jay M.
Mar 31, 2013

Only resales bought before June 20, 2010 can be turned into Destination points. Once in the DC points the option of being able to tranfer the unit into Marriott Rewards Points is possible.

However, if you did not have resale by June 20, 2010 then you cannot exercise any of these options of Destination points or Marrriott Rewards.

jaym51 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if you buy a resale can you convert that to DC points? Also along the same line, if you buy a resale can you turn it in for Marriott Reward points if you are not able to use the unit during any specific year?

Charles S.
Apr 02, 2013

You can purchase a resale from Marriott together with points...they have termed this a hybrid. With your week you can use it, convert it to points, or convert it to Marriott points.

Buy purchasing this way, you can lower your per point cost. There is a table out there that gives you the point conversion for the various resorts. Some are more point efficient than others.

Anthony R.
Apr 14, 2013

Cant belive all the negatives. We are legacy owners at Ocean Pointe. Two weeks two bedrooms ocean front. We joined DC right away and bought 2250 pts. Our weeks are worth 3750 pts each. We can trade for 90000 Marriott pts. Flexibility is amazing. We lock off sometimes and get back 4 weeks from Interval- often trading a studio and getting back a 2BR. Short stay exchange gets us two 6 night trips back for one locked off 1BR. We end up with no less than 6 wks of vacation every year- and it is always at premiere resorts. The value cant be beat- approx. 3600 in maintenance fees for 6 wks vacation in one and two BR villas. How can u beat that? If you r complaining- you must not understand how to use your timeshare to max benefit. We do and we are cheerleaders for the DC system. Im planning on buying 1000 more points next week- but I will hold our until I get at least 200000 Marriott Points!

Mark S.
Apr 14, 2013

Your reward points are different than your destination points.

Lori G.
Apr 14, 2013

marks1322 wrote:
Cant belive all the negatives. We are legacy owners at Ocean Pointe. Two weeks two bedrooms ocean front. We joined DC right away and bought 2250 pts. Our weeks are worth 3750 pts each. We can trade for 90000 Marriott pts. Flexibility is amazing. We lock off sometimes and get back 4 weeks from Interval- often trading a studio and getting back a 2BR. Short stay exchange gets us two 6 night trips back for one locked off 1BR. We end up with no less than 6 wks of vacation every year- and it is always at premiere resorts. The value cant be beat- approx. 3600 in maintenance fees for 6 wks vacation in one and two BR villas. How can u beat that? If you r complaining- you must not understand how to use your timeshare to max benefit. We do and we are cheerleaders for the DC system. Im planning on buying 1000 more points next week- but I will hold our until I get at least 200000 Marriott Points!

Marks1332, I agree that there are many positives. If you're not a Marriott salesman, you sure do sound like one. I like the DC program as well, but you have to admit that those points are very expensive. Yes, it may be $3600 for maintenance fees, but to get 2250 points, you had to pay over $20,000 when it first became available in 2010. The 1000 more you want to buy will be in excess of $10,000 and your maintenance fees will increase.

Like I said, I like the DC program, but buying the points are expensive. The best way to decrease the price per point is with the purchase of a resale and purchase of points from Marriott, or just buy resale. However, if I wanted to save some money and I were you, I would just rent the points for when I need them and then I could save on annual maintenance fees and the overhead.

I believe there are many more knowledgeable people of the DC program on tiimeshare users group than on this site. You can go there and find many more positvie people who are aware of the nuances of the DC program than here.

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Apr 16, 2013 07:30 AM

Apr 15, 2013

I was told by the Marriott Resales Dept the truth about the percentage of owners who have joined the points system. It is only about a third of the owners and I can see why. The points are convenient, but way too costly. We were pressured to buy more on our last owners presentation. We had never been treated in such a pushy way before. The sales people must really be getting pressured as well.

Sherri C.
Apr 17, 2013

Hello there. I am trying to understand the point system a little better. My wife's parents are legacy owners of 4 properties. Initially, they did not want to buy into the new points system, but recently they caved and bought the minimum amount. I would like to know more about what you suggested in your post below about how to decrease the price per point by purchasing a resale and a purchase of points. I am not quite sure I understand what you are suggesting. can you email me directly? (if so, I will send my email to you) I am tasked with helping my wife's parents and the 4 daughters and spouses to come up with a strategic plan going forward in how to equitably share the properties and points where the most value can be extracted. My mother in law checked with Marriott and it seems that you cannot fold a resale purchase(like from here) into the vacation club and count it toward your marriott owned properties for possible point exchange-- If you can, I would love to know about how to do this. Also, when you refer to renting points--how is this done? This would be great in the example where you only have 2250 points and the property you want to visit is 2500, and you can't only buy 250 points from Marriott. Renting the other 250 points would be ideal.

The best way to decrease the price per point is with the purchase of a resale and purchase of points from Marriott, or just buy resale. However, if I wanted to save some money and I were you, I would just rent the points for when I need them and then I could save on annual maintenance fees and the overhead.

I believe there are many more knowledgeable people of the DC program on tiimeshare users group than on this site. You can go there and find many more positvie people who are aware of the nuances of the DC program than here.

John H.
Jun 03, 2013

Your right and owners should consider a class lawsuit.

Peter D.
Mar 18, 2014

We bought an Ocean Pointe platinum week on the resale market. Being a single week owner, it is difficult to obtain our week for the following year, even though we try to book the first moment of availability as required,12 months in advance. We are now looking at purchasing a second week in order to be able to schedule 13 months in advance as a multiple week owner. The question is do we purchase our second week on the resale market or buy a minimal number of points to be able to schedule through the points system? If we purchase points does that provide us the ability to also book our resale week through the points system?

Dianna B.
Mar 18, 2014

If you have any question I can go over it with you I used to work at oceana for 2 months before I moved back to Orlando and now I am working for Hilton. I try to help anyone I see with a question about the program that doean't want to do a presentation. Chris- oneputtgaeta@gmail.com

Chris G.
Mar 18, 2014

the answer is no. if you bought it before 06/2010 you could and would of gotten all the benefits. now you can't do anything. any questions chris-oneputtgaeta@gmail.com

Chris G.
Mar 18, 2014

I worked for the company and was the sales trainer. I don't work there anymore but will go over the product with you. oneputtgaeta@gmail.com- chris

Chris G.
Mar 18, 2014

only if you bought the week before 6/2010. if you bought it later it won't help you at all. oneputtgaeta@gmail.com-chris

Chris G.
Mar 19, 2014

diannab28 wrote:
We bought an Ocean Pointe platinum week on the resale market. Being a single week owner, it is difficult to obtain our week for the following year, even though we try to book the first moment of availability as required,12 months in advance. We are now looking at purchasing a second week in order to be able to schedule 13 months in advance as a multiple week owner. The question is do we purchase our second week on the resale market or buy a minimal number of points to be able to schedule through the points system? If we purchase points does that provide us the ability to also book our resale week through the points system?

As stated buying points won't help with your current week. If you bought resale before 2010 you can enroll without buying points. If you bought resale from anyone other than Marriott resale office than you can't enroll even if you buy points if you bought your week after the cut off in 2010.

At 13 months 50% of inventory becomes available but if someone is using more than 2 weeks than certain weeks may have less than 50% available at exactly 13 months. When you call and/or log on at exactly 9am 12 months prior is it just the check in day you want that is gone by the time you can book or all check in days for that week? Are you possibly trying to book an event week that is not available for you to book? Which week are you trying to book and do you check to make sure you are trying to book on the correct day.

You can book exactly 12 months at 9am from the first check in day of the week- so even if you want a Saturday check in, your resort has Thursday check ins available so all check in days for that week become available 12 months prior to the Thursday of that week.

Tracey S.
Mar 19, 2014

Thank you so much for your response. We were trying to book days that were available at that time, but since we always come in March for spring training, all availability is taken very quickly. We are always willing to check in Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday, but by 9:05 all dates are gone. Therefore if our call is placed on hold for 5 minutes, we are unable to reserve. We also try, at the same time, to reserve online, but often the system is locked up by everyone trying to reserve. Since we are ready to buy more time at Ocean Pointe, we were trying to determine the most beneficial way to do it.

Dianna B.
Mar 20, 2014

Well you are definitely doing all you can do to secure the week by calling and trying to reserve at 9am. Buying another to try for the 13 months probably won't help because you can only call and less than 50% of the weeks would probably be available at any given time due to owners with more than 2 weeks booking multiple weeks during peak season.

Tracey S.
Mar 21, 2014

Does this make sense? Isn't this the way it is now?

Under the old weeks owned plan, only owners of weeks at specific resorts would call either 12 or 13 months in advance to make reservations for their specific season of ownership at their resort. A person who did not own at that resort for that season could not request a reservation.

Under the new points system plan, any point owner can join the fight for any resort at any season at the 12 or 13 month in advance mark.

Conclusion - It seems the new VCP plan increases the number of contenders for the better seasons at the more in-demand locations. Further, the owners of specific resorts may have lost a reservation advantage for their owned location.

Please think about the above and refute it if you care to. I hope I am wrong for the sake of those of us who own specific weeks.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Mar 22, 2014 07:34 AM

Mar 22, 2014

That sure seems to be what we are experiencing.

Dianna B.
Mar 22, 2014

Dennish, At 12 and 13 months points owners and legacy owners in the DC (Destination Club) can only book weeks that are either in the trust or from owners who have relinquished their week in order to get points for that year. So using very small numbers if the trust has 50 platinum weeks and 10 platinum owners have decided to elect points for the year from resort XYZ then once 60 weeks have been booked by DC points users than no more weeks would be available for them to book. Marriott also owns weeks that it has not put in the trust and also has control of weeks for which owners have traded for Marriott reward points (hotel points). In the past Marriott has left these weeks in the availability pull until later. It may be they are pulling them out at 12 months as well but it is their weeks to use.

There has been speculation that Marriott decides which weeks they think will be more popular and pulls the number of weeks out of the general pool at exactly 9am at the 12 month mark before weeks callers can book. It is also speculated that they pull II deposits and then substitutes other "equivalent" weeks from the trust to deposit but they can't pull unlimited weeks from the general availability for points users only their allotted number.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.