Point Systems

I have questions about the resale DRI (Diamond Resort) points I am buying.

Jul 27, 2013

I have just begun the process of closing on 4 lots of Diamond Resorts Int (DRI) points on the resale market, Ebay.

These are US collection points, which is fine with me.

Does anyone know if I can combine them for purposes of use. In other words, add the 2500 point and 5000 point lots to make a reservation.

Also the purchase included "2013 usage points", can these be banked for use next year 2014?

I have NO interest in joining "the CLUB".

Any help would be appreciated.

David

David K.

Last edited by davidk337 on Jul 27, 2013 06:35 PM

Jul 27, 2013

davidk337 wrote:
I have just begun the process of closing on 4 lots of Diamond Resorts Int (DRI) points on the resale market, Ebay.

These are US collection points, which is fine with me.

Does anyone know if I can combine them for purposes of use. In other words, add the 2500 point and 5000 point lots to make a reservation.

Also the purchase included "2013 usage points", can these be banked for use next year 2014?

I have NO interest in joining "the CLUB".

Any help would be appreciated.

David

Hello David,

Yes. You would be able to combine your points. However, DRI has deadlines in which you must save your points. I don't know if the saving of points is reserved for Club members or not. However, that ability to save points may only be for Club members. You would have to DRI to find that out. However, if you want to save 100% of your allotment you would have had to do that by June 30th. If you want to save 50% of your allotment,, you must do so by August 31 and to save 25% of your points, you must save them by Oct. 31st.

Also, those resale points cannot be used for Interval International exchanges. Those are reserved for Club members only.

Charles S.
Aug 14, 2013

Has anyone been able to resell their Diamond Resorts points on RedWeek.com? If so, how many weeks/months did it take to do so? We own points in Sedona collection. Thanks

Amoy M.
Jan 03, 2014

Yes, we sold our US collection points via Redweek. We listed September 2013 and had three interested buyers within 45 days. The key is finding the right buyer. That is, the new buyer will only get your limited home resorts to use and not access to all DRI properties unless after buying your points resale, they turn around and buy half the amount of points bought from you at Diamonds then current price. So if you have to sell, this feature is costly for a buyer and limits the potential resale pool. Because of this, we had no choice but to list and sell ours for $0. This is DRIs way of getting a cut of your sale as they won't do buy backs- and a way to get more annual dues from the next buyer. Our buyer wanted one particular resort, so the limited resale worked for them.

DRI said it would take 3 weeks when I first inquired, but when I sent in paperwork, they said it could be up to 3 months. Because we sold for $0, we did not use escrow service as there was little risk to either party and we paid transfer fees. It took probably 5 weeks. Note, the sale closed and I didn't even know. I had to call and ask for paperwork confirming it.

R&m M.
May 14, 2014

This is a question about resale of points on ebay. Suppose I have 25000 points in the club and buy 5000 points on ebay for the club's US properties. Will Diamond add the 5000 points to my 25000 to give me 30 000 points in the club which would be gold status?

Fred M.
May 14, 2014

I need clarification on another member's posting (below). I seem to get the impression that if I buy 10000 points in DRI US collection, then I would have to also buy a further 5000 from diamond in order to use the 10 000 which I bought. Is this the case?

mm273 wrote:
Yes, we sold our US collection points via Redweek. We listed September 2013 and had three interested buyers within 45 days. The key is finding the right buyer. That is, the new buyer will only get your limited home resorts to use and not access to all DRI properties unless after buying your points resale, they turn around and buy half the amount of points bought from you at Diamonds then current price. So if you have to sell, this feature is costly for a buyer and limits the potential resale pool. Because of this, we had no choice but to list and sell ours for $0. This is DRIs way of getting a cut of your sale as they won't do buy backs- and a way to get more annual dues from the next buyer. Our buyer wanted one particular resort, so the limited resale worked for them.

DRI said it would take 3 weeks when I first inquired, but when I sent in paperwork, they said it could be up to 3 months. Because we sold for $0, we did not use escrow service as there was little risk to either party and we paid transfer fees. It took probably 5 weeks. Note, the sale closed and I didn't even know. I had to call and ask for paperwork confirming it.

Fred M.
May 14, 2014

fredm145 wrote:
I need clarification on another member's posting (below). I seem to get the impression that if I buy 10000 points in DRI US collection, then I would have to also buy a further 5000 from diamond in order to use the 10 000 which I bought. Is this the case?

mm273 wrote:

Points bought on ebay and anywhere else other than DRI will not be added to your Club account and will not bring you to gold status. Thus, resale points will not do what you are wanting to do as they do not count toward loyalty tiers.

DRI has been known to allow you to bring those resale points into the Club and let them count toward gold/loyalty tiers if you buy half the number of points from DRI that you wish to bring in resale. So if you want to bring in 10,000 resale points into the Club, then you would have to buy 5000 points directly from DRI.

There is plenty of information on this and owners who have done this on Diamond Resorts Members page on Facebook. This is a site run by members like myself and it's FREE. I am from the US but we have DRI owners from across the globe. We share all kinds of information and regarding Diamond Resorts. Feel free to join us.

Charles S.
May 14, 2014

Assuming that what is posted is true, i.e., that Diamond will not add the points purchased elsewhere to the diamond account, then it raises a further question. Suppose I purchase 5000 points and Diamond puts them in an account apart from my other 25000, could they be combined for a booking? Could I use the 5000 plus 1500 of my club points to book a 6500 booking? Also is the 50% ruke fixed? Would I have to purchse 2500 points in the club to go with nthe 5000 resale points if I want the 5000 brought into the Club? Or would Diamond deal and make me buy , for example, only 1500

Fred M.
May 15, 2014

A further question. If the points in the resale are for the properties in the U.S. collection, could the buyer use them in any of the US collection. Is there really any good reason to buy points on the resale market if you can't use them for what you want to do?

Fred M.
May 16, 2014

If you buy resale points, you can only use them in the collection that they come from. For example, if you buy the resale points from someone who owns in the US Collection, then you can only use those points in the US Collection and no others. If are using points in the US Collection to make a reservation, DRI will use your resale points first, and then your Club points second. So yes, you can combine points only if you are reserving with the collection from which the resale points come.

Anything is negotiable. So you can try and see where it goes.

fredm145 wrote:
Assuming that what is posted is true, i.e., that Diamond will not add the points purchased elsewhere to the diamond account, then it raises a further question. Suppose I purchase 5000 points and Diamond puts them in an account apart from my other 25000, could they be combined for a booking? Could I use the 5000 plus 1500 of my club points to book a 6500 booking? Also is the 50% ruke fixed? Would I have to purchse 2500 points in the club to go with nthe 5000 resale points if I want the 5000 brought into the Club? Or would Diamond deal and make me buy , for example, only 1500

Charles S.
May 16, 2014

fredm145 wrote:
A further question. If the points in the resale are for the properties in the U.S. collection, could the buyer use them in any of the US collection. Is there really any good reason to buy points on the resale market if you can't use them for what you want to do?

They can only be used in the US Collection. They cannot be used in the Hawaii Collection or the California Collection.

Because you can get the resale points for free or next to nothing, buying resale points is only good if you really want extra time and you know you would use that specific collection a great deal.

Charles S.
Jun 10, 2014

that is what make diamond resorts points mostly worthless to the average person especially someone not up to speed with all of diamonds little policies on points. By and large they are only good at the resort the points are related and the couple of other resort in that club.

Main reason i NEVER bought diamond resale or through developer.. that is another money pit.

Carl N.
Jun 30, 2014

Your 5000 points would be in a different system (only able to be used in the US collection), and not combined with your club points, which you can use everywhere. Therefore you would not get Gold status unless they are all put into one account.

The only way to combine them is to buy an additional amount of "retail" Diamond Resorts points to add to the 5000 points...and then they will convert all your points into one account in the club.

Dana V.
Apr 25, 2021

Is 5000 points for almost $10k (5yr deal) worth it? Super new to this and considering all the bad reviews I’ve read online about DR, I’m not sure if I continue with this timeshare or if I should rescind. Also, I’ve read I can buy extra points on eBay, is this legal? And if so can I buy as much as I want to vacation as much as I want per year? Someone please explain, in dummy terms please because I’m obviously stupid (for buying a timeshare, especially without the facts)🤦🏻‍♀️

Krystal B.
Apr 25, 2021

Krystal B.

I am going to be completely honest and up front with you. The short answer to your question is no, 5000 points is not worth it. If you are buying directly from Diamond, I will say the only good thing is that from what you have written it is only for good thing. It’s good that it is not a lifetime commitment.

First of all, for the amount you paid that equates to $2000 per year. You were probably shown a luxurious two bedroom unit, perhaps with an ocean view room depending on where you were staying. With 5,000 points you will never see those types of units. You would have to travel during off peak times like February in Santa Fe with a STUDIO unit with no kitchen. There are FEW but not many 1 bedrooms that you can use 5000 points with and even less 2 bedrooms for desirable places and units with those few points. You can use $2000 and get a very nice vacation on VRBO or ARBNB and not be obligated to the yearly maintenance fees which go up every year.

Secondly, any use of points for anything other than accommodations is a loss of value of your maintenance fees. So when they tell you that you can use your points for airfare, cruises, and other stuff, you are losing the value of your points because you can get the same things cheaper if you went and bought it directly.

I have been with Diamond Resorts since 2007. I will tell you this as I am a HAPPY Diamond owner. However, I have learned the system well. I have over 20,000 points and since I am a Marriott owner, I use the two of them in conjunction with one another. Diamond’s resorts are hit and miss. Some resorts are really nice and some are pretty bad. I usually use them in Hawaii during peak season. It saves me a lot of money for accommodations as summer is peak season and that’s when I usually go.

Diamond bought my old timeshare Sunterra. Diamond is currently being bought by Hilton. We don’t know what that means for us Diamond owners yet. Time will tell. Most are thinking it’s a good thing.

My recommendation is for you to rescind. It’s too expensive in my opinion even at 5 years. I will answer any question that you have honestly as I have great knowledge of the system. Since you stated you have little knowledge about timeshares, I would automatically tell anyone with limited knowledge to get more information prior to buying. You need to know if timesharing is for you. Can you plan a year in advance? What season do you travel? Do you need one, two or three bedroom units? Are the maintenance fees comfortable with you remembering they go up every year? l will let you know that if you go toTimeshare Users Group, a site for timeshare owners, you will get lots of answers and there are lots of owners like myself who can help you. The web address is tug2.net.

However, rescind today. Follow the directions in the contract you signed and follow its directions and send it in IMMEDIATELY. Believe me, whatever they offered will be there for you next week, next month, or even next year. Keep your money in your pocketbook. You will thank me later.

Charles S.
Jun 17, 2021

I am new to this system having signed for 7500 points a few months ago. Was originally told I would be a silver member but that will go away after the first year and if I want to double my points now to reach silver status it would be $9pp instead of $3/pp. I’m assuming they will try to play around and offer me more points down the line at a lower rate. I thought about resale points but now it seems I would still have to buy points through diamond to get any of the benefits. Not sure if I should just use what I have and sell later or invest for more benefits.

My first reservation would be at an all inclusive resort for 8000 points. Apparently you have to also pay a free for all inclusive unlike if you book directly through the website or travel agent. And availability through diamond seems lower than if you were to book directly.

charless345 wrote:
Krystal B.

I am going to be completely honest and up front with you. The short answer to your question is no, 5000 points is not worth it. If you are buying directly from Diamond, I will say the only good thing is that from what you have written it is only for good thing. It’s good that it is not a lifetime commitment.

First of all, for the amount you paid that equates to $2000 per year. You were probably shown a luxurious two bedroom unit, perhaps with an ocean view room depending on where you were staying. With 5,000 points you will never see those types of units. You would have to travel during off peak times like February in Santa Fe with a STUDIO unit with no kitchen. There are FEW but not many 1 bedrooms that you can use 5000 points with and even less 2 bedrooms for desirable places and units with those few points. You can use $2000 and get a very nice vacation on VRBO or ARBNB and not be obligated to the yearly maintenance fees which go up every year.

Secondly, any use of points for anything other than accommodations is a loss of value of your maintenance fees. So when they tell you that you can use your points for airfare, cruises, and other stuff, you are losing the value of your points because you can get the same things cheaper if you went and bought it directly.

I have been with Diamond Resorts since 2007. I will tell you this as I am a HAPPY Diamond owner. However, I have learned the system well. I have over 20,000 points and since I am a Marriott owner, I use the two of them in conjunction with one another. Diamond’s resorts are hit and miss. Some resorts are really nice and some are pretty bad. I usually use them in Hawaii during peak season. It saves me a lot of money for accommodations as summer is peak season and that’s when I usually go.

Diamond bought my old timeshare Sunterra. Diamond is currently being bought by Hilton. We don’t know what that means for us Diamond owners yet. Time will tell. Most are thinking it’s a good thing.

My recommendation is for you to rescind. It’s too expensive in my opinion even at 5 years. I will answer any question that you have honestly as I have great knowledge of the system. Since you stated you have little knowledge about timeshares, I would automatically tell anyone with limited knowledge to get more information prior to buying. You need to know if timesharing is for you. Can you plan a year in advance? What season do you travel? Do you need one, two or three bedroom units? Are the maintenance fees comfortable with you remembering they go up every year? l will let you know that if you go toTimeshare Users Group, a site for timeshare owners, you will get lots of answers and there are lots of owners like myself who can help you. The web address is tug2.net.

However, rescind today. Follow the directions in the contract you signed and follow its directions and send it in IMMEDIATELY. Believe me, whatever they offered will be there for you next week, next month, or even next year. Keep your money in your pocketbook. You will thank me later.

Terrance M.
Nov 01, 2021

Charles,

I am a DR owner also as a result of DR buying Sunterra, but not happy with DR's availability and the increasing annual costs. Do you have any updating knowledge about how the Hilton purchase of DR affects the value of DR points? I am interested in getting out of DR.

Sheila Etelamaki

charless345 wrote:
Krystal B.

Sheila E.
Nov 01, 2021

Sheila E.,

As of now there has not been any new information provided by Hilton about what possible changes there may be. There has been a lot of speculation but no communication with Diamond owners as of yet. There has been lots of talk that Diamond properties may be kept separate from the Hilton brand, but even that is uncertain. Time will tell us so.

Charles S.
Feb 06, 2022

Hello, I am considering selling my Diamond points but I was wondering how do you put a value on them in the resale market?? Joe B.

Joseph B.
Feb 06, 2022

They have no value on the resale market because they are now limited to only Diamond resorts in the collection in which you bought them. Thus, if you bought in the Hawaiian Collection, you only have access to the Diamond Resorts in the Hawaiian Collection if you buy resale. The buyer of your points will not have access to the U.S., Cabo Azul, or European Collections.

You will be lucky if you can give the points away. I’m sorry because I know this is not what you want to hear, but this is the reality of it. Diamond also has a Transitions program that you can return the points to them. They charge you per contract to take them off of your hands.

Charles S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.