Timeshare Exchanges

Do I have to belong to an exchange program?

Jan 30, 2015

This is my first post here. I have searched the forum and I've been unable to find the answer to my question. I hope it doesn't come off as a silly question. I co-own a deeded week for week 34 in Shipyard Plantation, 3BR, 3BA in Southwind Villas with my Dad in Hilton Head and we have an RCI membership. I inherited my stepmother's share when she passed away. I adore Hilton Head and my stepmom knew it so she left me her share. I have a daughter who will graduate high school in 2017 and once she heads off to college, I plan to spend week 34 of every year in Hilton Head. I've done an exchange for earlier in the summer a few times as week 34 is usually the week my daughter starts school. My dad doesn't have much interest in the timeshare anymore so it is basically mine.

This year the online RCI exchange fee when up from $209 to $252. I plan to exchange for this year and next but after that I'll spend my week in Hilton Head as I will be no longer bound to the school calendar. So do I have to keep RCI or any exchange program at all if I plan to use my own timeshare each and every year? Can I just stop cancel being a member? Do timeshare resorts require exchange memberships? I figure if I want to travel somewhere else I can find a place on my own.

Thanks in advance. :)

Erika H.
Feb 01, 2015

You do not have to belong to an exchange company. The exchange fee for RCI in Canada is $252 but it is still $209 (for the last 2 years or so) for US members.

There are also free independent exchange companies like DAE (daelive.com) and sfx-resorts.com, Trading Places International (tradingplaces.com) that are free to join. They still have an exchange fee if you use but also have benefits like rentals.

So if you won't be using RCI no need to keep paying the annual membership fee. If you decide to join again later you can. If you let your membership lapse they may send you a discounted offer to join again.

Tracey S.
Feb 01, 2015

Thanks so much for your response. Maybe I looked at the wrong price list. I thought the US exchange fee went up. I hope it didn't! I am pretty sure I will just cancel after 2017 and join again it I ever feel the need. I don't like the way everything you do such as combining deposits incurs a charge. I had 1 TPU left after I did last years exchange and it didn't seem worth $109 to combine that 1 unit with my current TPUs.

Erika H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.