Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Marriott Maui Vacation Club and Kauai Waiohai owners

Dec 27, 2015

I would like your honest opinion if buying a timeshare in Maui or Kauai every other year is a good investment? We love Hawaii and go every two years. We have been through a few presentations bt never bought. Now we are thinking of buying in the resale market. We look at a few here and with Marriott resale and it's going for $10-12k plus $2k maintence fees. I would like current owners honest opinions if you are happy with your Marriott Maui and Kauai Timeshare and if you would recommend buying versus just renting?

Kim O.
Jan 28, 2016

We own two weeks at the Kauai Waiohai and love it. We have been going every other year since it opened. This year, we will be renting it out for the first time as we made other Vaca plans.

Since we own two weeks, we have the ability to reserve 13 months out instead of 12 and therefore have always gotten our first choice of dates,

Since we don't intend to sell it, it is difficult to say if it was a good investment in the long run. It does give us hassle free access to a beautiful property. And if renting it out is something we decide to continue, it can also deliver a positive cash flow.

Regina M.
Feb 21, 2016

We've owned at the Maui Napili Villas for six years and love going there. However we've had to phone in at 6 am sharp (west coast time) 12 mos ahead to get our preferred week. Once when unable to do that, we had to go a month later. I'd say it's good if you are flexible as to travel time, but if you're constrained by school schedules you may not get what you need. School holidays and summers are in heavy demand. That said, except for that one time, we've gotten what we wanted, even when sometimes we are bringing school-age grandkids. You can't be sure though.

Janet W.
Jun 09, 2018

If you plan on buying a resale Marriott, get ready to pay to be included in the Marriott system. They want their money!!

Mike G.
Jun 20, 2018

I would like to buy at Waiohai, and have put up an offer that was not responded to. I hear that Marriott has first right of refusal on a transaction. Does anyone know the $ level that will not be considered by Marriott? there must be a threshold....

Marty W.
Jun 24, 2018

In my opinion Marriott, like any other buyer, won't pay more than "market price". I'm selling a Marriott unit now in another state at about market and Marriott waived their rights. By the way, they responded very quickly after I sent in the signed sale agreement document. Check the "for sale" ads here and at TUG and you'll figure it out.

Michael T.
Jul 03, 2018

We have owned at the Waiohai since it opened and really love the property. If you can get a week at a good price and if you think you'll vacation there every year or every other year (depending on what you purchase) it could be worthwhile. However, if I had it to do over again I would come to RedWeek and rent someone else's unit instead of buying. I'm about to list my Waiohai week for rent again because the budget isn't allowing for a Hawaii vacation (again!) and it breaks my heart to place the ad. Good luck with your decision.

Traci W.
Feb 13, 2019

Hi! I am new to redweek. I was wondering if you can help educate me. We want to rent a week in Kauai waioha. How do I go about on doing it? It will be for myself, my husband and our special needs son., one bed will work for us and we are thinking of March 2020. When should I start looking and what do I do to make sure the I donot get scam.

Thank you for your help.

Maria

Ed M.
Feb 13, 2019

Ed M.: Please visit this page to learn about rental options: Rental Process

If you still have any questions, please go to the Contact Us link at the bottom of any page.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Feb 13, 2019

Thank you

Ed M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.