Timeshare Exchanges

RCI, II, GPX etc will be replaced by a free or low-cost APP

Jan 13, 2016

Here's predicting that, given Moore's Law (if you don't know what it is, just do a quick search on it -- it has to do with the exponential growth of computing power), there soon will be an App that will displace if not replace RCI, II, GPX and all the other exchange companies with their WAY-TOO-HIGH exchange fees. An outfit like Redweek, or TimeSharing Today, or TUG, could be the backer and make money on related advertising plus very modest membership fees. There's just no reason at all, today, and going forward, to have to pay RCI $209 ($219 if you talk to a live person) to make an exchange.

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Jan 13, 2016 03:49 PM

Jan 14, 2016

Def agree with this; I dropped out of RCI for that very reason, every thing you did there was a fee for.

Kay H.
Jan 14, 2016

How can I drop out of RCI? I didn't know that was possible.

Diane M.
Jan 14, 2016

dianem644 wrote:
How can I drop out of RCI?

Stop paying the membership fees.

Lance C.
Jan 14, 2016

markl18 wrote:
There's just no reason at all, today, and going forward, to have to pay RCI $209 ($219 if you talk to a live person) to make an exchange.

There are other smaller independent exchange companies such as Dial-an-Exchange, San Francisco Exchange, Platinum Interchange, and Hawaii Timeshare Exchange to name a few. They charge a lot less than RCI. II charges slightly less than RCI.

You also mentioned TUG. It has a free direct exchange board for members. The challenge there of course is to find another member who has what you want and you have what he or she wants. That brings us to the other aforementioned independent exchange companies. I know it's an ongoing argument among many veteran timeshare owners and users but some feel that the extra cost for the "Big Two" (RCI & II) are worth it considering they have much more inventory and are more likely to find a match for you than the smaller, independent ones.

That being said, even though there might be low-cost app in the works, I highly doubt it's going to replace the "Big Two". The Big Two aren't going anywhere.

Lance C.
Jan 15, 2016

You must work for them, their inventory looks big, but when you want something you need to get it in advance, way advance, like two years, unless of course you want a mediocre place.

Kay H.
Jan 15, 2016

Part of my point is the simple fact that the cost of computer power has dropped off the cliff in recent years. That suggests to me that RCI, II, GPX and the rest have realized a huge cost saving in that part of their business. However, they have not reduced their prices; rather, they have increased them. SOMEbody out there is going to come up with a digital product that will be so easy to use -- to deposit into the book out of -- that timeshare users will at last get their exchanges for a much, much more reasonable price.

lancec13 wrote:
markl18 wrote:
There's just no reason at all, today, and going forward, to have to pay RCI $209 ($219 if you talk to a live person) to make an exchange.

That being said, even though there might be low-cost app in the works, I highly doubt it's going to replace the "Big Two". The Big Two aren't going anywhere.

Stu M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.