Ask RedWeek

Star Options question

May 16, 2016

I own a Vistana mandatory property (WKORV) and have an account that allows me to use my star options in the various resorts in the collection.

I want to purchase another Vistana property, but it is a voluntary resort, and it would be a resale (Westin Princeville). I was reading that you cannot get star options on a resale voluntary resort unless you are already an owner.

Does this mean I'll get the star options for use if I buy a resale at a voluntary resort?

Thanks in advance.

Peter K.
May 17, 2016

You will not get Star Options for the voluntary resort. The only time voluntary resorts get star options if you purchase them direct from the developer or you purchase an additional property and part of that purchase includes negotiating bringing in (re-qualifing) your voluntary property into SVN. It usually requires a minimum of $10,000-$20,000 in a new developer purchase.

If you purchase a voluntary property (and don't requalify it) you would reserve your float week and use it or exchange it through II. You would have to purchase a separate II membership for non SVN weeks. I own 1 Harborside (mandatory) and a coupld Sheraton Broadway Plantations (voluntary) all bought resale. I have 2 II accounts.

Tracey S.
May 17, 2016

Thank you for the quick answer. This is very helpful.

Keeping all these rules straight is a skill unto itself. Very much appreciated.

Peter K.
Jun 01, 2016

Ask your resort - email customer service and find out.

Helen S.
Mar 04, 2021

I own Sheraton Flex 67,100 points. I purchased at Vistana resort. Is there any type of resale for Star Options that would allow me to book a mandatory result 8 months out, as I currently am able to do? For example I saw one for sale that states it was at Villages in the Bella section which is a mandatory resort. The ad stated 67100 star options. Thank you.

Joanne B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.