General Discussion

Mexican Timeshare Solutions is a Scam

Jun 22, 2018

True.

You can simply walk away from any Mexican timeshare. There is nothing they are going to do because you DO NOT own anything, but air. It is merely a club membership with a right to use. This is how they can sell more memberships than they have inventory. They need the hotel space to bring in more tours for sales presentations.

One exception, while working in Mexico, I had a couple who attended a timeshare presentation with me at Playa Grande in Cabo San Lucas. They recently purchased at another resort and did not get the room they paid for. I instructed them to return to the resort and demand their money back, or they would go to Profecco. They did and got all their money back ($30,000). This is an exception. They were already there. They were given a studio when they paid for a one bedroom.

You must keep in mind that the timeshares are not fully timeshares, but hotels, with some timeshare rooms in them that are bought or leased by the developer. They are hotels that are used to market the timeshares. The exchange companies know how much inventory there really is, but will not tell the consumer. This is why availability is so difficult.

One resort that I worked at had only two rooms for timeshare owners, but yet listed on the exchange site.

I share this in my upcoming book, Everything About Timeshare, Before, During and After the Sale.

For more info, visit my website...redweektimesharebook.com Separate from the Redweek organization.

Best of luck!

Wayne C.
Nov 03, 2018

Yes write to PROFECO and tell them a brief message of your complaint, Be sure to have a Spanish Translation ready if you do though, because you will only have over 10 days to submit . Suggestion, write your whole story in English then translate in Spanish you will need to submit both copies , secure all evidences like Receipt of Deposits, Copy of your request for cancellation and return of Deposit to the Supplier/ Seller, (request for return of deposit included in your complaint does not hurt). I highly recommend that you e-mail if you are a not a Mexican and you live abroad like I do. e-mail address is : extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx Do not deal with Time Share Cancellation Company as they will only cancel , you might want your deposit returned if you believed you have been scammed . For more reference : check out profeco.gob.mx/juridico/pdf. Good luck and be positive Timeshare Scamming is a perennial problem in Mexico

Kristi M. wrote:
Is there a reliable company to get me out of my grand Mayan timeshare is just bought in May '18?

Jeannette V.
Nov 03, 2018

Kristi M. wrote:
What about filing a complaint with Profeco? If I stop paying will it get reported to the credit reports? I'm 16 days past and was never told by The Grand Mayan Vida Vacations there was a cancellation date.

You will have a better chance if you submit a complaint to Profeco and its free. write to Grand Mayan of your wish to cancel and why you wish to cancel. you will need a copy and date of your letter to cancel and return . Make sure that when you write them to cancel include that you wish a return of your deposit . PROFECO will require you a copy you sent to Grand Mayan. Write your Story and why you bought a timeshare. Where you tricked or coerced.? Have a spanish version of your complaint handy as this will be a requirement too. Be patient check out profeco.gob.mx/juridico/pdf. Do some research your complaint might fall under Art. 42 or Art. 15 of the FEDERAL CONSUMER LAW. know your rights and assert them insist . Dont let these Mexican scammers fool you . There is Consumer's Law.

Good Luck

Jeannette V.
Jan 18, 2019

So my story is regarding Krystal Vacation Club run out of Krystal Hotels in Cancun. I did not do any diligence, was stupidly headstrong and was duped into buying a timeshare in 2014. I also stupidly kept paying till end of 2017, even though warning flags kept appearing (their timeshare resale organization - Resorts Advantage / Latitude21Rentals were another couple of scam companies milking money from you to market your timeshare).

Finally, stopped paying from Jan 2018 - and have been receiving threatening calls and emails - pay up or else we will report you to Transunion, etc. I've decided not to pay - however many calls / emails I might get.

My question is - has anyone suffered a hit on their credit due to these scammers reporting to the credit bureau's ?

How can the credit bureau's accept delinquency notices from these scammers?

Thanks!

Asia E.
Mar 08, 2019

Hello I would like to share as I just went through that process with MTS. After we signed we did read our entire contract and there is a clause that says if you ask to cancel in the first 5 days of the contract then the cancellation should be effective and they return your money. We were in day 3 when we saw that we sent an e mail to the resort asking to cancel they replied ok we are looking into your case. Then what happens the sales people call you and try to convince you and tell you like all the timeshare contracts at the end you sign a paper thats says there is no cancellation and refunds and the only way to cancel is a fee which is very high in some cases. They keep telling you thats the only way. We continue to do some digging and there is a law in Mexico that protects you in the first 5 days of signing you can cancel and you should be reimbursed. We contacted MTS explained the situation. I talked to my representative of the case told us exactly what to do yo have to send a written letter to the resort.

After that they take the case and they send you the e mails they are sending the resort you have to CC profeco and other mexican agencies in your communications. In 2 weeks they got the cancellation of the contract and we got reimbursed what we paid to the hotel also a letter from the hotel that contract ## has been canceled.

The timeshare sales and tactics are all mostly the same but these guys know how to tackle them. Each case might be different each hotel contract has its clauses but if you are in the 5 day window period it is almost a guarantee you will get an effective cancellation with no penalization. It was a rough month for us we have learned our lesson and we will never ever fall again for these type of sales. When your in this mess you feel you can trust no one but in MTS they are real people they handle the cases and that what they do best. When you are more far along in your contract thats when things get more complicated to cancel without a fee. When you are in the 5 day window frame its an easily win case. If anybody wishes more questions or feedback I can gladly help.

Edd L.
Mar 08, 2019

Are you from Mexico or the US? Of course if you stop paying something they will send you to buro de credito. That might have not been the correct way to get out of a contract. Most resorts if you stop paying they cancel it but then add the fee to that cancellation as you as the consumer did not comply to the contract obligations then you have a big debt sitting in buro that will most likely will not go away until you hire someone to settle that debt. If you are from the US I dont think that will or should affect your credit maybe only in Mexico of course they can send over your debt to collection agencies after a while. No debt can sit forever in a company this will eventually be written off in somepoint but they can sell your debt to other companies that may be harsher and harassing and thats when dealing with them becomes difficult. I would check if you are in buro or see how much your debt it and there is attorneys that help negotiate the original debt.

Edd L.
Mar 30, 2019

Mexican Timeshare Solutions web page shows the Better Business Bureau (BBB) logo on the righthand side of their page. They are not affiliated with the BBB. If you try to find a review on them with the BBB, you will not find them as members.

Barbara-jean O.
Mar 30, 2019

They are a complete SCAM !!!!

Don P.
Mar 30, 2019

barbarajeano wrote:
Mexican Timeshare Solutions web page shows the Better Business Bureau (BBB) logo on the righthand side of their page. They are not affiliated with the BBB. If you try to find a review on them with the BBB, you will not find them as members.

That, right there, should tell you all you need to know about MTS' honesty. And even if they were legit, the recommendation is generally not to use any of these so-called "cancellation" companies because they will charge you a large, upfront fee to do what you can do yourself.

Lance C.
Apr 29, 2019

they had never asked me for money upfront, but what they try to tell you about how you cant travel to mexico if you don't pay your timeshare which I think is BS, and the only to do that is to cancel. They also stated that they got many people out of timeshare, but then for some reason, they can't get me out not without paying the resort any current dues and or without going to court, also telling me that my credit score will be ruined. I have seen some other posts where people who didn't pay did not have affect on their own personal credit scores. Let me just say that I have not once used my resort and paid a down payment of about $2000 to them. They will not be getting another penny out of me though.

Bout K.
Apr 29, 2019

Hi Edd,

What can you tell me about the PROFECO consumer rights to cancel a timeshare?

Thanks, Bout

Bout K.

Last edited by phyl21 on Nov 21, 2020 07:02 PM

Jun 05, 2019

Hi Kristi I'm wondering if you were able to get out of your vida timeshare. we bought the same thing over a year ago and finally just stopped paying the monthly memberships and they stopped hounding us but MTS is hounding us and they seem illegitimate to me. It's hard to sort out the real facts with all the internet propaganda so I find it far more helpful to talk to others who've experienced similar... Thanks

Debbie D.

Last edited by debbied433 on Jun 05, 2019 11:44 PM

Jun 08, 2019

I really appreciate your detailed information on the Mexican Timeshare Solutions scam.I almost became one of their victims in my desperation to get out From a Vidante time share we were suckered into buying under a litany of false promises and gross blatant lies from this highly fraudulent resort company. Once I realized how bad we were being taken advantage of I stopped paying on the timeshare membership altogether and they eventually stopped hounding me. In the meantime I signed an agreement with MTS assuming they were a legitimate law firm and that I would likely need professional help to get out from under the contract. I was never able to reach them by phone however because all of the phone numbers lead to the same recording and once they’ve signed you up they never call you back. The only time they contacted us was when they wanted money claiming they had done their job but nothing verifying closure was ever mailed to us. All I received was a copy pasted email from one of the representatives I had already spoken to many times Who claimed she couldn’t cancel our contract. We actually tried to send payments o MTS but since they have no real address because the company is likely bogus our check became lost in the mail someplace Compromising our financial security and forcing us to close the account to protect ourselves. MTS is now demanding we wire them the money and threatening to charge interest but I honestly don’t think they are legitimate or that they actually did anything. They might be in cahoots with these timeshare scammers working together to get as much money out of us as possible. please let me know your thoughts as you are clearly more knowledgeable than I. Does a signed agreement with a fraudulent bogus unlicensed company hold any water? I’m determined not to get ripped off anymore of my hard-earned money!

Debbie D.
Jun 08, 2019

For those who need more proof, here is an article from a timeshare newsletter website, who have run into MTS more than once. Nothing good to say. Don P.'s original post is spot on. Buyer beware.

https://www.insidethegate.com/gatehouse/2013/12/mexico-timeshare-news-december-7-2013/

John I.

Last edited by johni116 on Jun 09, 2019 06:15 AM

Nov 02, 2019

I had to get the FBI involved and put a report thru them and I also investigated and got a lawyer in Mexico and still nothing the lawyer in Mexico was a scam and he was working w someone from the US.

Rosemarie V.
Nov 21, 2020

Hello eddl.... please substantiate your case. Fo u have evidence, pics , documents u can show so as to refute the doubt that MTS is also a scam company !

Michael S.
Nov 25, 2020

Edd L. post referenced above is over 8 months old. It is highly unlikely that you will receive a response to something posted 8 months ago.

No matter --- there is really no doubt or question that "Mexican Timeshare Solutions" is just a useless and fraudulent scam.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 06, 2020 08:07 AM

Nov 06, 2021

Yes, it is possible to terminate a timeshare contract, but it is necessary to find an invalid clause in the contract or the breach by the pretender of services, in addition to this, it is necessary to file a lawsuit and it takes one to two years. Cheers

Mexican Lawyer
Nov 06, 2021

Yes, it is possible to terminate a timeshare contract in Mexico, but it is necessary to find an invalid clause in the contract or the breach by the pretender of services, in addition to this, it is necessary to file a lawsuit and it takes one to two years. Cheers

Mexican Lawyer

Last edited by ricardon24 on Nov 10, 2021 01:10 PM

Nov 07, 2021

ricardon24 wrote:
Yes, it is possible to terminate a timeshare contract...

That depends. Is it deeded property like most units in the U.S.A. or is it a Right-to-use (RTU)? If it's an RTU or even a vacation membership, you can terminate it by stopping paying maintenance fees or membership dues. The club or resort will just terminate the membership.

If it's deeded property, then that becomes a little more difficult. Different ways to "terminate" it are to sell it, give it away, get the resort to take it back, or let it go into foreclosure. It is not necessary to file a lawsuit. Besides, by your own admission, a lawsuit can take at least one to two years.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.