Ask RedWeek

I Don't Think I Own a Timeshare???

Oct 26, 2016

Periodically I receive phone calls or mail referring to me as a timeshare owner. I have never been a timeshare owner. I don't think I've ever stayed in one. Somehow my correct name, address and phone number are on a list of timeshare owners.

I always ignore these phone calls and throw the mail away, but today I'm wondering,has this ever happened to anyone? Is there some sort of known scam where the scammer tries to make the target think that they do own a timeshare?

Leigh K.
Jan 04, 2017

leighk22 wrote:
Periodically I receive phone calls or mail referring to me as a timeshare owner. I have never been a timeshare owner. I don't think I've ever stayed in one. Somehow my correct name, address and phone number are on a list of timeshare owners.

I always ignore these phone calls and throw the mail away, but today I'm wondering,has this ever happened to anyone? Is there some sort of known scam where the scammer tries to make the target think that they do own a timeshare?

People get these types of scammer calls all the time --- yes, even non-timeshare owners. You need not be concerned. Your name and phone number was likely on some list which was purchased and circulated from some "contest" or "sweepstakes" entry or something else that you signed up for somewhere, sometime. These people would likely shift into "You don't own a timeshare? Would you like to?" if you listened to them long enough (..and why would you bother?). Just keep ignoring the phone calls and throwing the mail into the recycling bin where it belongs. They will stop bothering you --- eventually.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 10, 2017 04:13 AM

Jul 13, 2019

Response to Leighk22 ...I get at least five to eight calls per week and several times in one day if I don't answer about a timeshare...I also have never owned one and never will, but the calls keep coming in...drives me nuts...I just block the numbers.

Trish W.
Aug 30, 2019

I have been receiving the same kind of mail and they ask if I want to reduce my dues or something like that, I can’t find the letters right now but I have received 4 or 5 letters in the last 2 or 3 yrs. Some of them are saying they will be in my area on a certain date & want to meet with me. I just ignore them but can’t help wondering what the heck do they know that I don’t. I wish I knew how to find out if there really is a timeshare that is being used in my name. If anyone knows how to find that information please let me know! Thank you!

leighk22 wrote:

Catherine P.
Aug 31, 2019

catherinep189 wrote:
...they ask if I want to reduce my dues or something like that...Some of them are saying they will be in my area on a certain date & want to meet with me....can’t help wondering what the heck do they know that I don’t. I wish I knew how to find out if there really is a timeshare that is being used in my name.

It's doubtful that someone is using a timeshare in your name. As mentioned above, it's possible that you signed up for some sort of sweepstakes or prize involving travel or timeshare and gave your personal info on the entry.

As for "wondering what the heck do they know that [you] don’t", the answer is Probably not much. Many of these think that since you allegedly own a timeshare, you are not very knowledgeable, are probably desperate, and want to quickly relieve yourself of maintenance fees.

As for them being in your area and wanting to meet with you, they send these messages out to many timeshare owners in your area because they are setting up some sort of meeting or seminar where they will give a lecture about the evils of owning a timeshare and how it will be darned near impossible to get rid of it. But they will provide you with a "solution" that will cost you "only" $4500, or so.

Lance C.
Oct 28, 2019

I need to know if i have a time share my name is eric montgomery scott.i live in boston massachusetts.

Eric S.
Dec 24, 2019

I get the same thing ....and just like you I don't know why I receive the same info ?

leighk22 wrote:

Robin V.
Nov 11, 2021

My name is Judith A. Carlson, my ex-husband (now also deceased) was David L. Carlson Jr. I don't know if he ever bought a Timeshare or, if he did, was my name also on it. If so I want to get rid of it and, if not, thank you for your help either way.

Judith A C.
Nov 11, 2021

judithac wrote:
My name is Judith A. Carlson, my ex-husband (now also deceased) was David L. Carlson Jr. I don't know if he ever bought a Timeshare or, if he did, was my name also on it. If so I want to get rid of it and, if not, thank you for your help either way.

If you have never seen or received any timeshare maintenance fee bills, usually issued annually (around this very time of year), why would you have any reason to believe that your deceased ex-husband ever bought a timeshare?

If he owned a timeshare and those annual fees were not paid, a foreclosure would ultimately take place. If / when a foreclosure takes place, there is nothing for you to "get rid of", since foreclosure essentially involves the resort HOA or developer lawfully taking back legal ownership of that timeshare.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 16, 2022 06:40 AM

Feb 15, 2022

Way back in the 90’s I did attend a timeshare day where I went to culpepper va and went through their seminar, then I got in the money machine and grabbed some cash(fake cash of course) but I ended up putting half the cash towards purchasing a timeshare. But never went back or paid the remainder and moved several times after that, now within the last 3 yrs I’ve been getting letters and emails talking about if I want to sell my timeshare they can help, baffles me since it’s been so long since I did it.

Michael B.
Feb 16, 2022

michaelb2692 wrote:
Way back in the 90’s I ..<snip>.. ended up putting half the cash towards purchasing a timeshare. But never went back or paid the remainder and moved several times after that, now within the last 3 yrs I’ve been getting letters and emails talking about if I want to sell my timeshare they can help..<snip>..

Your name and contact info apparently made its' way onto a "sucker" list that someone created and provided to others. Needless to say, it's a scam of some sort; it's obvious that no one can "help you sell" something that you never actually owned in the first place. The best course of action is to simply ignore this kind of junk, without ever responding at all.

Unfortunately, timeshare-related "sucker lists" tend to get re-sold and distributed to other scammers and spammers, so you may very well get even more such contacts in the future. Ignore that future junk too, without ever responding at all.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 16, 2022 07:39 AM

Mar 17, 2022

Yeah I get them all the time too and they offer me free dinners and all kinds of stuff and tell me how to save money on my timeshare that I've never even had one and as far as keep ignoring them they'll go away eventually no not true I've been getting these things for years and we just keep throwing them away so good luck I hope you can keep your sanity if you figure out how to get them to stop sending it to you get with me thank you bye-bye

Chris S.
Nov 08, 2022

I KNOW for a Fact no one in my family owns a time share yet this telemarketer guy has been calling here for over 30 years! What the heck?! I told him he could have the timeshare because there is none! Why does this person continue to call and how can I make it STOP?!

Theresa M.
Nov 08, 2022

michaelb2692 wrote:
Way back in the 90’s I did attend a timeshare day where I went to culpepper va and went through their seminar, then I got in the money machine and grabbed some cash(fake cash of course) but I ended up putting half the cash towards purchasing a timeshare. But never went back or paid the remainder and moved several times after that, now within the last 3 yrs I’ve been getting letters and emails talking about if I want to sell my timeshare they can help, baffles me since it’s been so long since I did it.

Same for me but I was in Florida and went to seminar,so,where’s my timeshare?! Person has been calling for over 30 years! Insisting that I have timeshare! Gimme my timeshare or buy it,everything has a price! LOL

Theresa M.
Jan 21, 2023

I get mail all the time every year they keep saying I have a timeshare they tell me decrgard the mail but I told them to take my name off the list they still sending me mail smh how do I get my name and address off this timeshare list .

Kenyetta B.
Jan 21, 2023

Crazy I dont even own a timeshare period smh.

Kenyetta B.
Feb 11, 2023

I don't think I have a time share

Billy T.
Feb 11, 2023

billyt41 wrote:
I don't think I have a time share

That’s certainly good to know, Billy — and truly fascinating. Thanks for sharing! :)

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 12, 2023 05:00 AM

Apr 29, 2023

At one time my husband and I had a timeshare we divorced and he bought my Part out and later he did away with it. It was at a resort in Conroe, Texas. Now it is being said that he owns property in Saltillo, Mississippi. And there is a man there with the same name but he is39 years old. My husband is 68. How can they get these messed up. If I'm texting the wrong people I'm sorry I want my husband home.

Sandra H.
May 05, 2023

They are scammers, criminals, they have found that this works.

Do not respond, block the number. When they call from another number, do the same thing. Over time you'll get fewer calls but it generally doesn't stop.

There are apps that have lists and other methods to catch many of these calls, they redirect them to your voicemail in case it's somehow a legitimate call. If there's a message, block the number and delete the message.

K Richert B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.