Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying Marriott Destination points

Feb 19, 2017

We are being told by Marriott sales that our current two weeks will become harder to trade unless we join the Trust, which means buying points. Because we agreed to a hold-over presentation we can get 1500 points at last year's price. Still over $17,000.00. Lots of money for few points. We are not even sure if the "warning" of trades becoming harder is even true.

What do you experts think? And secondly, could we still buy resale points and join the trust? How? And how much in 2017 dollars?

Thanks in advance.

Jane P.
Feb 19, 2017

Are your weeks already enrolled? Adding additional points will only give you 1500 points to use, it won't help with exchanges. If your weeks are not already enrolled. and you bought them before 2010 you can get them enrolled for a lot less than $17,000. Buying resale points won't enroll your current weeks. By the time you pay the required fees to Marriott it would probably cost around $9 per point if you buy at least 2000 points.

Tracey S.
Feb 20, 2017

Our two weeks were already enrolled in the Destinations program but we were not Trust members because we did not own points. Two "selling" points were: 1. That Marriott will be dealing less with Interval and therefore making trades harder through them and 2. That access to popular resorts within Marriott will become easier because joining the Trust opens up much more availability. Hawaii being of definite interest. Obviously the points have value of their own but at quite a cost. Trying to figure out whether it will be worth it or if we should ditch.

Jane P.
Feb 20, 2017

Technically you would only be entitled to book directly with the trust with trust points. Your legacy points don't become "supercharged" as some sales folk have suggested by buying trust points. You can rent points- either legacy or trust from other owners if you want to see for yourself.

Here are 2 sites for renting points: VacationPointExchange.com developed by TUGgers GregT and StevenTing shortly after the DC introduction Ownertrades.com developed by TUGger Clark in 2001, expanded to include DC Points resales/rentals following the DC establishment

Tracey S.
Mar 05, 2017

We got the same sales pitch about giving up our deed to join the trust. We chose not to do it. Our strategy has been to use the unit every other year and take the points the off years. I have successfully purchased Marriott getaways for about 20 years from Interval International. Marriott started tell us that getaways will become scarce at least 15 years ago, if not more. So far it has not come true. If it does we can always approach Marriott at that time. We have been happy to use our unit rather than trade it for other locations, which is why we did not really want to pay money to join the destinations/trust.

Maribeth K.
May 21, 2018

Please do not buy them......they are a rip off.

Ted B.
Jun 09, 2018

We kept saying "NO" to the sales rps for the longest time. We use our Newport Coast timeshare every other year bt it is starting to get very difficult to get peak season. We did transfer our 2 weeks, Newport Coast and Maui into points...not at the same time...and were able to get 10 days at the Ko Olina resort. We did end up buying 500 points just to have the option to use the new Marriott resorts.

Mike G.
Jul 09, 2018

How much did you pay for 500 points? Thanks.

Thiyag T.
Jul 11, 2018

How much did you pay and did you buy them from Marriott.?

Lalla G.
Jul 15, 2018

As a 15 year sales and marketing rep in timeshare, NEVER convert to points. You lose total control of what you own. Your deeded week is always the best. If they push you, then do not go to their "updates." or sales presentations.

Points are a waste of consumers hard earned cash.

Wayne C.
Aug 06, 2018

Own a Feb. week at St. Kitt sinc 2002 and Marriott wants to give me 4300 points for it. Don't understand how the "maintenance" will work. Will my annual fee stay the same? Any advise?

Phyllis C.
Aug 06, 2018

phyllisc125 wrote:
Own a Feb. week at St. Kitt sinc 2002 and Marriott wants to give me 4300 points for it. Don't understand how the "maintenance" will work. Will my annual fee stay the same? Any advise?

I'm a little confused. Does this mean that Marriott will give you 4300 points to purchase it from you? That's what it looks like to me from your post. A timeshare company giving an owner points to buy a unit from him seems highly irregular. Could you please clarify what you mean when you say, "Marriott wants to give me 4300 points for it"?

Lance C.
Aug 06, 2018

Yes, I am being offered the points to turn over my ownership week. So, in exchange for joining the points program, I am relinquishing my week.

Phyllis C.
Aug 06, 2018

You are being offered enrollment in the Destination club. You would still own your deed and pay MF on the week. Each year you will have the choice to use the week like you always have or to deposit your week in the destination club and receive the points for the year to do internal exchanges in the DC program.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.