Point Systems

Transferring Orange Lake ownership to points

May 12, 2017

I recently purchased a two bedroom Timeshare at orange Lake Country Club River Island Resort time share and discovered that I am only a home owner with weeks not points. What is the cheapest and easiest way to convert to points?

Yvonne W.
May 12, 2017

yvonnew90 wrote:
I recently purchased a two bedroom Timeshare at orange Lake Country Club River Island Resort time share and discovered that I am only a home owner with weeks not points. What is the cheapest and easiest way to convert to points?

I can tell you what is not the cheapest way: Buying at one of those sales presentations.

Have you tried selling or giving away your unit then buying another one for peanuts on E-Bay (or elsewhere) that is already converted to points?

Lance C.
May 13, 2017

For me weeks are much better than points.

Don P.
May 13, 2017

I did buy this on EBay cheap but thought it was a regular holiday in vacation club. Want to have the option of staying at other holiday Inn Vacation Club resorts and different weeks.

Yvonne W.
May 14, 2017

yvonnew90 wrote:
I did buy this on EBay cheap but thought it was a regular holiday in vacation club. Want to have the option of staying at other holiday Inn Vacation Club resorts and different weeks.

I don't know what internal exchange programs HIVC offers but you could inquire.

Another options would be to join an exchange company like RCI, II, Dial-an-Exhcange, etc. Keep in mind that there will be exchange fees involved and RCI & II have annual membership fees.

Lance C.
May 14, 2017

If you were the original owner they required $2500 to convert to points. If you bought resale they have always required an additional points package which the least expensive qualifying one in the last few years has been a small package from Lake Geneva Wisconsin at about $8000 or a larger one at any one of the other resorts. This would also be a second unit with its own maintenance fee plus the club fee of $159 or so per year. Recently they have been saying that you need to purchase at least a $20,000 retail points package in order to convert a deed fixed or float week in the system.

Tracey S.
May 14, 2017

$ 20,000 to convert to points and no guarantee that you will be able to book a vacation . That's enough money to buy a nice mid sized car and at least you have something that has a resale value . Points on the other hand are only worth what you can get from someone who has no idea what they are buying . Read through the threads in the forums and make an educated decision before spending thousands of your hard earned money on something that someone else decides if you can use or not .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on May 14, 2017 03:02 PM

May 15, 2017

You could sell it or give it away and buy a points only resort on eBay.

Bill J.

Last edited by phyl21 on May 15, 2017 08:42 PM

May 15, 2017

I did get it for peanuts on Ebay not from the developer. I just didn't realize it was not points transfer within the holiday in vacation club. I do have holiday Inn priority points. I don't know if I can tie that in,

Yvonne W.
May 15, 2017

You can not without that addition purchase. The only HICV resorts that do not revert to deed fixed or float week (remain in points) are Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach and Wisconsin. Only those three remain in HICV upon transfer.

Tracey S.
Mar 30, 2018

We own a on a specific week, we have an RCI membership and have had no issues changing our weeks at Orange Lake and even upgrading. Orange Lake is always offering us incentives to convert to points but we have more power and value as owners at Orange Lake. If you really want to convert just wait Orange Lake will offer you incentives to sell and exchange to points.

Jeff L.
May 15, 2018

I already own a timeshare odd years I saw an add for points only with a maintenance fee each year. it said it’s yours “from now until forever” no unit just points does anyone know anything about point sales, I would so appreciate any info you can give me thanks, Bella

Cynthia B.
May 15, 2018

Points can be confusing . It depends on what , where and how many points you have . It also depends on if you own a specific resort or the ability to use your points for other places . A week at a resort means you own an actual week at that resort . All timeshare owners use are subject to availability and that seems to be the biggest complaint in the forums . Read through different threads in the forums points subject and maybe it will give you better insight .

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.