Ask RedWeek

Rent from someone who obtained a week on Interval

Jun 08, 2017

I'm new to renting timeshare but did do my research. I've read it's not a good idea to rent someone's week that they obtained on II since it's against their T&Cs and I could potentially lose the week.

The week I am renting isn't advertised anywhere online and the person I am dealing with said they'd get a guest certificate and put the reservation in my name via that certificate. He wants $100 deposit and the balance once he gives me the confirmation in my name.

He said he's done it multiple times and it's worked out fine. I'm new to this, so unsure how to proceed. Any advice? Should I go through with this or no?

Jonathan H.
Jun 08, 2017

jonathanh134 wrote:
I'm new to renting timeshare but did do my research. I've read it's not a good idea to rent someone's week that they obtained on II since it's against their T&Cs and I could potentially lose the week.

The week I am renting isn't advertised anywhere online and the person I am dealing with said they'd get a guest certificate and put the reservation in my name via that certificate. He wants $100 deposit and the balance once he gives me the confirmation in my name.

He said he's done it multiple times and it's worked out fine. I'm new to this, so unsure how to proceed. Any advice? Should I go through with this or no?

It's your decision to make, but you seem to already know that renting out exchanges is VERY clearly prohibited by the terms and conditions of membership of **BOTH** RCI and II.

People do it anyhow and yes, they often manage to get away with it without consequences. However, sometimes they DO get caught. Frankly, in your shoes, I'd be a bit concerned about someone openly claiming to have "done it multiple times". If that's true, RCI / II might well already be watching his account, curious why his exchanges so often end up getting guest certificates in OTHER names --- a strong indication that he might be renting out exchanges he obtains. People DO get caught and have their membership suspended or terminated --- with the would-be tenant simply left in the lurch, denied occupancy. It's a roll of the dice.

I've never been involved with renting an exchange and I never will be (on EITHER side of the transaction), but I am admittedly risk averse when it involves the potential to be denied occupancy and / or risking forfeiture of all of the rental money I already ponied up. Maybe you're more willing to "gamble"; it's ultimately your own personal choice and decision.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 15, 2017 03:55 AM

Jun 09, 2017

I agree whole heartily with Ken's last paragraph. To much at stake, to take a chance on something that is wrong to begin with.

William P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.