Ask RedWeek

How do u know if a purchase of a resale thru redweek allows you to trade your weeks

Aug 01, 2017

How do u know if a purchase of a resale thru redweek allows you to trade your weeks. Want to buy asap a Sheraton dessert oasis timeshare and it does say "gold". Also, it is for a deeded property. Weeks 22-27 and 36-46 which I assume is the weeks in a year. Is

Troy S.
Aug 02, 2017

troys122 wrote:
How do u know if a purchase of a resale thru redweek allows you to trade your weeks. Want to buy asap a Sheraton dessert oasis timeshare and it does say "gold". Also, it is for a deeded property. Weeks 22-27 and 36-46 which I assume is the weeks in a year. Is

Whether (and with whom) a week can be exchanged ("traded") has NOTHING to do with where or how a week was purchased, whether through RedWeek or anywhere else.

Most timeshare resorts are affiliated with either RCI or II --- or both, in many cases. The deposit / exchange process is conducted directly with the individual exchange company in which you purchase a membership and with which the resort where you own is affiliated. The "trade value" of any given week also has nothing at all to do with where / how / from whom the week was purchased. Trade value is determined by unit size, location, season, predictable demand (e.g., school vacations); the exchange companies make their own determinations of "trade value" . The word "Gold" means nothing to the exchange companies in their determination of trade value. Some resorts probably call ALL of their weeks "Gold" or "Premium" or "Premiere" (or some other flattering adjective), but those labels mean NOTHING to the exchange companies in their determining trade value.

I hope this answers your question.

P.S. It certainly sounds like what you are looking at is a deeded "floating" week ownership, in which you can ONLY reserve a week within those very specific week number ranges. I do not know this resort, nor do I claim to know the demand or trade value of those weeks. Exchange / trade value also depends in part upon unit size, which you have not identified. Needless to say, there are very different "trade values" for a studio, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR, etc. --- at ANY timeshare resort.

P.P.S. The timeshare calendar is different from the "real" calendar. In general, "week 1" in the timeshare world begins on the first Saturday of each calendar year. Therefore, the dates of "week numbers" will obviously differ from one year to the next. In fact, in some years there are actually 53 weeks in a "timeshare year"! Somewhere on this RedWeek site, you can find a "timeshare calendar", in which you can manually select any given year (as well as the check in day used --- most weeks , but not all, are "Saturday to Saturday") to see the exact dates of that particular week number for that particular year. It's very easy to use and very helpful for advance planning.

Understand fully what you're potentially buying before making that purchase commitment.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 02, 2017 11:14 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.