Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Trying to get rid of the Grandview Las Vegas

Dec 05, 2017

I have tried selling, no luck. I have never used my week there, only traded points through RCI. Fees are just getting too expensive, especially since I lost my job. Want to just donate it.

I contacted the property and got the "we do not take back units" response. They are part of Vacation Village? Fees paid to Daily Management.

Any suggestions? Has anyone ever used http://timesharedonations.us/?

Michelle A.
Dec 05, 2017

michellea449 wrote:
I have tried selling, no luck. I have never used my week there, only traded points through RCI. Fees are just getting too expensive, especially since I lost my job. Want to just donate it.

I contacted the property and got the "we do not take back units" response. They are part of Vacation Village? Fees paid to Daily Management.

No legitimate entity on Planet Earth accepts timeshares as a "donation". Why would they? After all, It would be a unwanted and unwelcome financial burden and liability for them --- just exactly as it is now for you. It's an attempt to unload a financial liability; it's not a "gift".

I would suggest attempting to give it away for free in the Bargain Deals section of Timeshare Users Group. You might have to offer to pay the closing costs and any transfer fee yourself. I don't personally know the property at all, but many people seem to believe that the maintenance fees to points ratio at Grandview Las Vegas is actually among the most favorable to be found anywhere. I don't claim to know if that' belief is true, but I've certainly seen that claim repeated many times. Check it out on TUG. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 05, 2017 03:15 PM

Dec 05, 2017

michellea449 wrote:
I contacted the property and got the "we do not take back units" response.

One thing you can try is to contact the resort's Homeowners' Association and mention that you really want to give it back. Make sure you contact the right people in charge which would not be someone answering the phone at the resort. Mention that they have two options. One, take it back without a fuss while you pay the closing costs. Or, two, they do nothing, you do nothing, and then they have to go through the rigors and expense of foreclosure.

As for the web site you mentioned, chances are they are going to charge you thousands of dollars to take your unit off your hands (not donate). As Ken mentioned above, try advertising it on Timeshare Users Group's Bargain Deals or RedWeek's Bargain Basement. Grandview Las Vegas seems to be popular due to its high points to maintenance fees ratio.

Lance C.
Dec 06, 2017

Thank you both for your responses! I have advertised it on TUG and have several folks interested. Does anyone know if it is more difficult/costly to transfer (deed) to someone who does not live in the US?

Thanks!

Michelle A.
Dec 06, 2017

michellea449 wrote:
Thank you both for your responses! I have advertised it on TUG and have several folks interested. Does anyone know if it is more difficult/costly to transfer (deed) to someone who does not live in the US?

Thanks!

Good question, slightly complicated answer. The new deed, once prepared, will only require notarized signature of the "grantor" (that's you); that part is straightforward enough. You can find a legitimate low cost closing entity to handle deed details (it would cost about $200 using LT Transfers of Georgia, for example). The resort may also charge their own additional "transfer fee" (a separate cost from the "closer's" fees), so you and your prospective "grantee" need to work out who will be paying those various mandatory costs.

If the new grantee is Canadian, that's fine. However, if new grantee is on another continent, the resort will likely have serious concerns regarding whether that grantee is legitimate or just a fictitious name. It's not "profiling", it's simply a resort concern for receiving future maintenance fees. Fictitious persons obviously do not pay maintenance fees.

In brief summary, it will be a lot easier and cleaner for all involved if your new "grantee to be" is located in the U.S.A. or Canada.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 06, 2017 10:38 AM

Dec 06, 2017

Thank you! I appreciate the detailed response.

Michelle A.
Dec 06, 2017

One last question. Here we are near the end of the year. I am going to give my timeshare away and use LT Transfers to complete the paperwork. I have not yet paid the 2018 maintenance fees. Do I need to?

Thanks!

Michelle A.
Dec 06, 2017

michellea449 wrote:
Here we are near the end of the year. I am going to give my timeshare away and use LT Transfers to complete the paperwork. I have not yet paid the 2018 maintenance fees. Do I need to?

Well, SOMEONE needs to pay the 2018 maintenance fee bill --- and pay it before too long from now. Whether you pay it or whether your new "grantee" pays it is strictly a matter between the two of you to decide and agree upon.

That being said, it will take some time (figure on about 6 weeks) for closing, deed recording and resort transfer acknowledgement to all be fully completed. The 2018 maintenance bills are already out and generally due by 01 January --- and will be regarded as delinquent if not paid by (typically) 01 February. Late charge (typically $25 and interest (often 18% per annum) will almost certainly apply after February 01. It would behoove you to make sure the 2018 fees get paid before becoming delinquent, one way or another, by whomever you and your future "grantee" agree upon. If you are giving the ownership away for free and the new grantee is going to have the 2018 usage, it seems reasonable that the new grantee should perhaps be the one to pay the 2018 maintenance fees. However, I don't know just how much interest or demand there might be for your particular week (even when offered for free), so I don't really know much "leverage" you have on that point. It's entirely a matter for discussion, negotiation and resolution directly between you and the recipient-to-be.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 06, 2017 02:19 PM

Feb 21, 2019

Own a Timeshare trying to give it back to the Grandview. We bought it after i returned from Iraq. We have never used it, and now we own it. There are a lot of scams regarding timeshares and i cannot continue to pay maintenance fees year after year. I have never heard of Time Share Users Group and want to know if they are the real deal when it come to getting rid of Timeshares. I have called other agencies and they all want thousands of dollars and we simply do not trust them at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

Manuel A.
Feb 21, 2019

What did Grandview say when you contacted them ?

Don P.
Feb 21, 2019

Manuel A.: You will find information on the RedWeek resale options on this page: RedWeek Resale Options (https://www.redweek.com/sell-my-timeshare)

If you have questions, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
May 30, 2019

Hi Michelle

I to have a unit here with a few years now building up and they keep charging fees did you manage to get rid of your unit of so can you share how

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie H.
Jan 27, 2020

TUG is just a great information sharing site. They don’t get rid of timeshares there but you’ll learn a ton on how to do it

C.P.
Jan 27, 2020

Have you gotten rid of the Grandview? I have one and was wondering how many RCI points you get with your unit? I’d like to start exchanging in RCI

C.P.
Jan 28, 2020

cpierro wrote:
TUG is just a great information sharing site. They don’t get rid of timeshares there but you’ll learn a ton on how to do it

Fwiw, TUG also has a "Bargain Deals" forum on which people can try to give away unwanted timeshares. Although I'm not certain, I think you may first need to be a registered TUG member in order to post any such listing there (no other cost to the poster however).

Obviously, no one on Earth is likely to have any interest whatsoever in any timeshare with a outstanding loan balance or any unpaid maintenance fees, regardless of where offered or advertised.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 28, 2020 05:24 AM

Aug 09, 2020

How much do you owe

Vontae D.
Apr 22, 2021

I bought my Grandview from Red Week some years ago. Fees are paid and nothing owed Let me know if you have any suggestion. Have reduced price and few bites

Jackie K.

Last edited by phyl21 on Apr 22, 2021 06:16 PM

Jun 07, 2021

I too own a timeshare at Grandview Las Vegas. Great place but we have only stayed there a couple times. Our unit has been paid off for about 5 yrs. now. We had points through RCI but ended with them for medical reasons. The Grandview has great trading power as the Grandview is a nice resort. The yearly fees are very reasonable. But because of medical reasons we can’t travel as we did in the past. We’d trade to Cabo San Lucas sometimes 3 times a year. So because of our situation there is no need for the timeshare anymore and wish to have it taken off our hands. Any info would be appreciated!

Larry S.
Jul 22, 2021

We have a timeshare that we signed up for back in 2019. We have not been able to use it due to the pandemic and our jobs. We realized it was a bad choice when we got home. We talked to a timeshare termination place that we recently found out went out of business and now we received a letter saying it is going to be foreclosed on. I am not sure what we should do because we don't want the timeshare since we can't afford it. I tried calling Grand view and got the response that they don't take the deeds back. Just looking for some guidance.

Stefanie B.
Jul 22, 2021

Until you find anyone to buy it you should consider renting it out to mitigate your losses . Vegas is a very popular destination right now .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jul 22, 2021 10:31 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.