General Discussion

Im thinking of getting timeshare! But where to start?

Jan 28, 2018

Ok,

So I'm going to one off these time shares at the Welk Resort next week in Escondido. For going to the TS pitch im for free: 2 tickets to Honolulu for 2 night getaway tuesday - thursday, 2 tickets for a 2 hr cruise in San Diego and 2 tickets to a wine tastings. I get those just for coming to see the time share which is cool. I read that someone once was given a voucher that they had too mail in to receive the tickets but age he threatening to sit outside and tell all the next timeshare potential custo.ers there scam they decided to give this guy his earned and promised tickets... Lol (I will do the same if that happens to me).

Honestly, I don't know much about TS's or how they work but im curious of them and I have the money to spend should I chose to buy one if it's around or uber 3k. I also have no problem at just saying NO and unless I know exactly how it with and have researched it. I will not buy. Thus is why I am here on this site.

I've heard of people having really cool deals and good vacations because they have a timeshare. Now I'm thinking I wouldn't mind getting a timeshare but I would like to get a good share. Anyone have any recommendations on what I should ask for or where I should go to buy a good TS? Should i get this one from Welk and is there a good counter offer i should propose when the time comes to them wanting me to give them my wallet? Is Welk a good share or is there another you'd recommend? lol

I will read and thoroughly consider all your thoughts ave replies. Anything you have to offer would be helpful.

A little bit about me: im im an mechanical engineer and make 80k a year so I have a few grand I can spend if it looks like a good option. I'm single and 31 yrs old and currently living in Los Angeles.

Sincerely,

Pete

Nerd H.

Last edited by nerd2 on Jan 28, 2018 08:57 AM

Jan 28, 2018

Don't and if you go listen and when they are done stand up from the table and demand your tickets. They will double team you then triple so just stand up. lots of people are done with their time share and can save you a lot of money and will tell you their experinces

Monroe C.
Jan 28, 2018

Nerd H.

Last edited by nerd2 on Jan 28, 2018 09:26 AM

Jan 28, 2018

Don't what? Don't go or don't buy. I was my the tickets to Hawaii.

Nerd H.
Jan 28, 2018

I answered your post in the other thread in the forum . Since you have already committed yourself to the presentation just go and eat the food and drink the free beverages until your required time is up and then demand your gifts . Don't let them pressure you into buying something that has no value on the resale market the minute you walk out the door .

Don P.
Jan 28, 2018

Thanks Don. I read your reply on the other thread.

Nerd H.
Jan 29, 2018

I respectfully suggest first spending many hours (if not weeks or months) reading through the discussion forums on the Timeshare Users Group web site before jumping into these shark infested waters. There is more timeshare knowledge and experience openly shared on that one web site than exists or is available from every other timeshare information source on the planet COMBINED. It's a FREE education, but you still have to exert the effort to absorb the information to BECOME educated.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy directly from ANY developer. Never mind the free rubber chicken lunches, airfare or lodging discounts, free tablet, passes, coupons or gift cards --- you would still grossly overpay for something which, as already noted above, literally has little (or no) resale value immediately after you buy it.

The bottom line is that ANYTHING offered by ANY timeshare developer (at ridiculous, truly obscene prices) can be purchased in the secondary (resale) market for pennies on the dollar. There is NO difference in the product in the final analysis. A timeshare is a timeshare, regardless of purchase source. Enough said.

P.S. One thing you must never conveniently overlook about timeshares is that after the initial purchase, regardless of purchase source, there are annual maintenance fee obligations to which you are legally committed for as long as you remain the owner of record. It is reasonable to expect that annual maintenance fees will increase by an average of 4-6% per year, each and every year, regardless of what or where you purchase. Please make the effort to fully educate yourself before buying ANYTHING, or you will surely regret a hasty decision later --- possibly for many years.

Personally, I would NEVER attend any such "presentation" AT ALL, but it seems that you are bound and determined to do so. Just be prepared to discover that those alleged "free tickets to Hawaii" will still have some attached fees, as well as a laundry list of very difficult usage restrictions. Ultimately, there is no "free lunch". Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 13, 2018 06:04 AM

Feb 09, 2018

This website, good you are already here. Buyatimeshare and sellmytimesharenow and ebay are great places to get a low cost timeshare. I just bought another one from a seller that was posted on buyatimeshare. Research the company that owns the resort, buy with low maintenance fees. The fees like HOA dues only go up. Make sure you buy one with a deed that list a specific unit. I suspect the cheapest they will offer you is a studio for ~$10 - $8k with every other year use. but have fun with them they will waste your time so enjoy wasting their time. When the manager comes over the 'closer' you are at the end.

Bob B.
Feb 09, 2018

bobb722 wrote:
Buyatimeshare and sellmytimesharenow and ebay are great places to get a low cost timeshare.

I wouldn't say Sell My Timeshare Now is a great place to get a low-cost timeshare. That website is notorious for having unrealistically high listing prices. Have you looked on that web site for what people are listing their units?

On top of that, many who have perused that web site say that a lot of the listings are out of date.

Lance C.
Feb 12, 2018

lancec13 wrote:
I wouldn't say Sell My Timeshare Now is a great place to get a low-cost timeshare. That website is notorious for having unrealistically high listing prices. Have you looked on that web site for what people are listing their units? On top of that, many who have perused that web site say that a lot of the listings are out of date.

I agree. In addition to very high prices, the closing costs charged by SMTN are also very high --- and you have no option to use a different closing entity of your own choice. A bad deal all around.

There are precious few real "bargains" EVER found on SMTN, in my opinion. I'd look instead at listings on RedWeek, Timeshare Users Group, MyResortNetwork and (a distant last choice) eBay.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 13, 2018 06:42 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.