Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Wyndham timeshare any way to stop the contract?

May 04, 2018

Hi.

I bought 200,000 points on Dec 2017 while we were on holidays in Orlando Florida, while we were on holidays.

When we came back and I started reading the contact and tried to book online I noticed that we have been lied at and so many things the sales person promised was just lies.

We were told that: we can cancel anytime. We don't pay anything if we book a wyndham resort and we can book anytime (turn out that we pay booking fees and only 60 days before traveling), they said we have unlimited number of weeks any place in the world for only 200 USD... so many more lies that I feel silly now just thinking that I fell for!

Now my question : - can I stop the contract? If yes how without paying a fortune. - Can I just paying (note that I am not an American citizen and credit history in the states is not important )

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Nad D.
May 04, 2018

nadd2 wrote:
Now my question : - can I stop the contract? If yes how without paying a fortune. - Can I just paying (note that I am not an American citizen and credit history in the states is not important )

From what you have described, yes this seems to be your best option right now. Just keep in mind that:

1) You will forfeit any money you have paid thus far, 2) You will probably face a barrage of collection calls and letters, 3) You might face some threatening calls saying that you face serious consequences. 4) No entity will be able to get you out of this so do not go seeking the "help" of some of these so-called rescue or exit timeshare companies.

Lance C.
May 07, 2018

nadd2 wrote:

It is clear that you were told an assortment of outrageous lies. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for Wyndham sales weasels to lie, exaggerate and deceive in order to close a sale. They know that anything they say means absolutely nothing and only what is stated in writing within the contract means anything at all.

You cannot "stop" the contract; it is a legal document which you voluntarily signed. If you executed the contract in December, 2017 you are long past the time period in which you could previously have cancelled the contract (10 days cancellation period after contract execution under Florida law).

However, you can now choose to simply not pay another penny. If you are outside the United States, there is really nothing Wyndham can or will do to you if you default on the loan. Wyndham handles its' own loan financing "in house", so there is no third party lender involved. You can make the decision to just walk away. As pointed out already, you will permanently forfeit any and all money you have paid so far, but at least you'll stop paying any more money going forward.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 08, 2018 03:31 AM

Aug 06, 2018

What did you end up doing? We are in the same situation. Bought our timeshare in new york january 2018. We are swedish citizens and thinking we might just stop paying them. I dont care about the momey we have already lost but just want to get out. Just worried we might get caught up in a legal issue..

Cecilia Ö.
Aug 07, 2018

There are several hundred posts in these forums about Wyndham's Ovation program, which has been in place since December, 2015 . A little search effort will provide all the information and details you need to contact Wyndham to inquire about eligibility. If you took out a loan to make the purchase and that loan is not yet paid off, you will not be eligible or considered for Ovation. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 10, 2018 03:45 AM

Aug 20, 2018

cecilia112 wrote:
What did you end up doing? We are in the same situation. Bought our timeshare in new york january 2018. We are swedish citizens and thinking we might just stop paying them. I dont care about the momey we have already lost but just want to get out. Just worried we might get caught up in a legal issue..

Hello Cecilia, I am in the same situation than you, have you cancel it already? Or do you have any information that can be useful? Thank you.

Trini B.
Aug 20, 2018

We ended up calling wyndham who said we couldnt break the contract however the person who we spoke to advised us to just stop paying:) He ended our automatic payment and told us we would hear from a collecting firm probably for a year or so but they couldn't do anything as we are overseas. .totally worth it!

Best of luck!

Cecilia Ö.
Sep 05, 2018

I am in the same situation as, it seems, everyone else. However, my timeshare is totally paid off. I bought it a little over two, years ago. I was lied to for sure about many things. The other thing is, I bought a luxurious four bedroom new construction beautiful timeshare but the few times I made a vacation either at my home base or elsewhere, it was never available, a comparable size was also not available, needed much maintenance, the location was too far, etc. I could go on an on. I visited my timeshare office last year and they told me that I could give it back with the Ovation program. They told me that I could still use it for three years and no maintenance fee. They did tell me that I would forfeit what was paid. That hurt but if that is the only way, I'm game. Does this work?

I have another timeshare that I plan on listing with Red Week. The process looks a little complicated. Is there anyone who I could speak to for help in getting started. I know that you have instructions but I really want to speak with someone first.

Beverly P.
Sep 05, 2018

beverlyp124 wrote:
I have another timeshare that I plan on listing with Red Week. The process looks a little complicated. Is there anyone who I could speak to for help in getting started. I know that you have instructions but I really want to speak with someone first.

Beverly - You can call 1-866-971-1737 between 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Pacific time, Monday through Friday for assistance from a Customer Service representative. If you have further questions, please visit our Resources page or go to the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Nov 05, 2018

I am in the same situation, with the exception of I do live in the U.S.. They secured a credit card account for the bulk of the contract (paid monthly) and a PayPal account for the down payment(paid monthly). I have NOT used any of the services and have been paying since May/June 2018. Any suggestions on how to terminate??

Carl R.
Nov 07, 2018

Carl R. wrote:
I am in the same situation, with the exception of I do live in the U.S.. They secured a credit card account for the bulk of the contract (paid monthly) and a PayPal account for the down payment(paid monthly). I have NOT used any of the services and have been paying since May/June 2018. Any suggestions on how to terminate??

You cannot unilaterally "terminate" a contract that you voluntarily chose to sign. Since you apparently financed the purchase, you really only have two choices --- either continue paying and use the product, or stop paying and default on the loan. There would likely be negative credit report consequences (lasting for 7 years) if you opt to default on the loan obligation.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 07, 2018 04:36 AM

Nov 21, 2018

Hi, I also live in the U.S and have been trying to figure what options I have of getting out of this contract. Did you get any info?

Patty M.
Nov 23, 2018

Hello, I made the mistake of buying a timeshare from Fairfield that became Wyndham, have had for YEARS, never ever use it, because they never have availability and their locations don't work for me. It's been paid off for a super long time, but I'm sick of paying the monthly maint fees etc, for something that is totally useless. I know it has no value, and don't expect $ for it, but-- I have super good credit, and that's important. I live in the US. If I just stop paying, would they seriously come after me? How can I end this besides faking my own death? (jk)

Sue S.
Nov 23, 2018

sues731 wrote:
It's been paid off for a super long time, but I'm sick of paying the monthly maint fees etc, for something that is totally useless. I know it has no value, and don't expect $ for it, but-- I have super good credit, and that's important. I live in the US. If I just stop paying, would they seriously come after me? How can I end this besides faking my own death? (jk)

Have you checked out Wyndham's Ovation program? There's a pinned thread in the Timeshare Companies forum with information about this. Wyndham is taking back a select, limited number of units that are paid off and have the maintenance fees up to date. That would probably work better than just stopping payments.

If Wyndham decides to not take it back, you can try listing your unit for sale or giveaway. Just do not go contacting any of these companies or law firms that claim they can get you out of your timeshare.

Lance C.
Mar 24, 2019

Hi, I am in the same boat. We bought last year (March 2018). I just went to Wyndham Bonnett Creek. I was alone. They said they couldn't ask me for anything because my husband was not with me...... but I went because they said they would help me get more out of my points. I went in and immediately they asked if I could make decisions without my husband. They told me we didn't have enough points to be up to standard and that I needed to get up to 400,000 points. They wanted me to spend $70,000.00 YES $70,000 to get to where I needed to be. WITHOUT my husband there. I don't know what planet they are on. I refused. We want to get rid of our points. Our loan to them is paid off. We are just paying maintenance fees. Did I mention that if you get to the standard 400,000 points and spend $100,000.00 for it that your monthly maintenance fees will be 219.00 a month on topof the loan. I will take any help I can get.

Jane H.
Mar 25, 2019

Jane, Onsite they only folks they will arrange you to meet with to "help" out is the sales staff. They aren't even particularly well versed on how points work. They are just as likely to make something up as to give you factual information. The reason they want both parts of a couple is that their only purpose is to upsell you and if you are not able to decide to make that deal without your spouse, then you are wasting their time.

If you want information, your best bet would be a combination of finding a Wyndham owner group on facebook or instagram and calling owners services when you have questions.

Tracey S.
Mar 31, 2019

How much did you pay? You may want to just walk away. Or call Wyndham or RCI 1800 338 7777. You can get a timeshare for 1$ on ebay. I only buy on the re sale.

Bev

nadd2 wrote:
Hi.

I bought 200,000 points on Dec 2017 while we were on holidays in Orlando Florida, while we were on holidays.

When we came back and I started reading the contact and tried to book online I noticed that we have been lied at and so many things the sales person promised was just lies.

We were told that: we can cancel anytime. We don't pay anything if we book a wyndham resort and we can book anytime (turn out that we pay booking fees and only 60 days before traveling), they said we have unlimited number of weeks any place in the world for only 200 USD... so many more lies that I feel silly now just thinking that I fell for!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bev R.
Apr 07, 2019

Ken1193, in our case, I feel that information was omitted, in particular that we would be paying fees forever even after we have paid the loan. I find your advice to just walk away and cut financial losses sound. I have accepted that we would lose money but I do not want to lose any more. I just want to know about the legal consequences if any. We do not live in the US, have no relatives in the US and US credit scores do not matter to us also.

Lilian S.
Apr 07, 2019

Wow, that gives me hope. So you basically just walked away? I contacted Wyndham and they told me to go to a reseller. So I did. But the reseller was quite honest to say it would be hard to sell. So I am now looking for other options to not lose any more money than we already had.

Lilian S.
Apr 07, 2019

lilians5 wrote:
...even after we have paid the loan. I find your advice to just walk away and cut financial losses sound. I have accepted that we would lose money but I do not want to lose any more. I just want to know about the legal consequences if any. We do not live in the US, have no relatives in the US and US credit scores do not matter to us also.

So is your loan/mortgage paid off? And are you up to date on your maintenance fees? If so, check out Wyndham's Ovation program where they are taking back a select, limited number of units from owners. It will cost you nothing and you won't have to worry about legal consequences.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.