Ask RedWeek

Renting Timeshare Exchange

Aug 13, 2018

I have two units confirmed for Loreto - Villa Del Palma Nov 3-10th, 2018. These are exchanges from my home property - Marriott Newport Coast. Can I rent these thru RedWeek? I have both certificates and a guest transfer fee is all that is needed - $69/unit. Please advise....

John B.
Aug 13, 2018

johnb2763 wrote:
I have two units confirmed for Loreto - Villa Del Palma Nov 3-10th, 2018. These are exchanges from my home property - Marriott Newport Coast. Can I rent these thru RedWeek? I have both certificates and a guest transfer fee is all that is needed - $69/unit. Please advise....

In their terms and conditions of membership, RCI and II both clearly and specifically prohibit the rental of exchanges obtained through them. Getting caught in violation can result in membership suspension or termination, with outright cancellation of the exchange. I have no knowledge of the policies or practices of other exchange companies.

Any tenant-to-be should always verify they are not getting themselves involved with rental of a week obtained via RCI or II exchange. It would be a shame to make plans, incur travel costs and later be denied occupancy upon arrival.

Do people often "get away with" overtly violating this RCI and II policy prohibiting the rental of weeks obtained by exchange? Yes. Do you want to risk paying the consequences if caught being a participant (on either end of the transaction) violating this clear and specific prohibition? I guess that's a personal decision...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 13, 2018 02:37 PM

Aug 13, 2018

Thanks - I gather the bet way to deal with this them is right thru II. Thanks again....

John B.
Aug 13, 2018

johnb2763 wrote:
Thanks - I gather the best way to deal with this then is right thru II. Thanks again....

I am not exactly sure what you mean....

If it was through II that you already obtained these "exchange" weeks (an assumption on my part), then there really isn't much of anything more that II can or will do for you. The exchanges are now yours to use and occupy, but not much else. I believe you can still get a "guest certificate" from II (for a fee, of course) in someone else's name, but it's been a few years since I've played the exchange game, so I'm a bit rusty on the procedure and / or cost involved.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 13, 2018 03:43 PM

Aug 14, 2018

You can cancel and get a replacement week but as you are within 60 days the replacement week in II would only be good for flex reservations (within 59 days from check in) and would be good for 1 year from when you cancel. You would also have to pay another exchange fee when you go to use the replacement week.

Tracey S.
Mar 20, 2023

Can I exchange my Shawnee timeshare with a timeshare elsewhere? Does Redweek offer an exchange service?

Vijay R.
Mar 20, 2023

vijayr15 wrote:
Can I exchange my Shawnee timeshare with a timeshare elsewhere? Does Redweek offer an exchange service?

RedWeek used to have an exchange service but then that was gobbled up by Dial-an-Exchange. There are a number of other exchange companies such as RCI, Interval International (both charge an annual membership fee), or Trading Places International, to name a few. Each company charges an exchange fee.

You can check out those various exchange companies. Also, Timeshare Users Group has a free exchange service for members who want to do direct exchanges with other members. The downside to that is that it is quite rare that you will have exactly what another member wants and that member has exactly what you want.

Lance C.
Mar 23, 2023

I've been renting my Marriott Newport Coast weeks through Redweek for the past 8 years. Sometimes we hold back one week for ourshelves, but this year we have limited time available for staying at the timeshare. Can we split our 7 days and rent 5 days and stay 2 days? How does Redweek handle the 7 day reservation where the tenant only gets 5 days, and how do we get the tenant to leave if we are using the last two days?

I see a lot of 5 day rentals listed so there must be a way of doing this. Any advice you can provide would be great.

K D.
Mar 24, 2023

k134 wrote:
I see a lot of 5 day rentals listed so there must be a way of doing this. Any advice you can provide would be great.

Many of the 5-day rentals (or any other length of time that's not seven days) are usually done with points. Do you have a points package or is it weeks?

Lance C.
Mar 25, 2023

lancec13 wrote:
Many of the 5-day rentals (or any other length of time that's not seven days) are usually done with points. Do you have a points package or is it weeks?

Good point (no pun intended). Even if it's a "weeks" ownership however, an owner could advertise and limit the rental to 5 days, but the owner would surely have to pay a hefty additional "housekeeping fee" if they wanted to have the unit cleaned and "turned over" in order for them to utilize the last (or first) two days of that week themselves. That additional cost is certainly NOT the responsibility of a tenant. As far as "getting the tenant to leave", any decent rental contract should very clearly and specifically identify the earliest date and time of check-in and the latest date and time of check-out.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 25, 2023 06:07 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.