Ask RedWeek

Divorce mess

Sep 04, 2018

Hello. So my ex got awarded timeshare in divorce. I foolishly never checked on that. He died and had never taken my name off deed. Ughhhhh. They won’t take it back. (Although I haven’t contact HOA I only asked owners services. Any advice? It’s paid off and up to date on maintenance fees. I just can’t afforf the maintenance fees and won’t ever use it. It’s a beautiful place. Sheraton in Myrtle. Thanks in advance!

Cheryl P.
Sep 05, 2018

cherylp346 wrote:
...my ex got awarded timeshare in divorce. I foolishly never checked on that. He died and had never taken my name off deed. Ughhhhh. They won’t take it back. (Although I haven’t contact HOA I only asked owners services. Any advice? It’s paid off and up to date on maintenance fees. I just can’t afford the maintenance fees and won’t ever use it. It’s a beautiful place. Sheraton in Myrtle. Thanks in advance!

A new deed with you (as grantor) relinquishing your interest to the ex (as sole grantee) should have been prepared and recorded when you got divorced, but that ship has obviously sailed.

Your best bet now is to plead your case directly to the HOA President, explaining your circumstances and making it crystal clear that you have no intentions of paying even one penny in maintenance fees at any time. Make it equally clear that if they do not voluntarily accept a "deedback", then they can just go right ahead and undertake the unnecessary time and expense of foreclosure instead. Give them two very clear, non-negotiable choices and let them pick one. If they have any sense, they will accept a "deedback". If not, let them foreclose.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 05, 2018 03:03 AM

Oct 10, 2018

I can help you with that Cheryl

cherylp346 wrote:
Hello. So my ex got awarded timeshare in divorce. I foolishly never checked on that. He died and had never taken my name off deed. Ughhhhh. They won’t take it back. (Although I haven’t contact HOA I only asked owners services. Any advice? It’s paid off and up to date on maintenance fees. I just can’t afforf the maintenance fees and won’t ever use it. It’s a beautiful place. Sheraton in Myrtle. Thanks in advance!

Vanessa R.

Last edited by phyl21 on Oct 10, 2018 09:45 PM

Oct 10, 2018

Vanessar121 sounds like a SCAMMER trolling for victims in the forums . She has been posting in several threads claiming to be able to help people out of their contracts . NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract .

Don P.
Oct 10, 2018

donp196 wrote:
Vanessar121 sounds like a SCAMMER trolling for victims in the forums . She has been posting in several threads claiming to be able to help people out of their contracts . NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract .

Sorry, to sound like a SCAMMER but non but so ever, I currently got off of my former escrow and a lawyer friend, help me out, so I want to recomend him, his very professional during the process and even he negociated to return some money I had alredy invest. I’m not asking any money as you can read before, I just want to help out cuz I know how hard is to get rid off this type of mess and trust someone to do that for you when you don’t know anything of law and real estate procedures.

Vanessa R.

Last edited by vanessar121 on Oct 10, 2018 10:14 PM

Oct 12, 2018

Unfortunately the points won't transfer to the new owner. Sheraton Broadway Plantation even high season has no resale value. I suggest you pay 2019 MF reserve the best week you can for next year and then list it for free in the bargain section of TUG with the new owner paying the transfer recording costs which would be around $250 with LT transfers. It might be a little more complicated with the dead ex-spouse but not too bad if you have access to the death certificate. If you own some thing that does not include summer reservations you will probably have to offer additional incentives.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.