General Discussion

Marriott owns Interval international: Time for a breakup?

Oct 18, 2018

Way back when, many decades ago, major movie studios owned their stars (via contracts), owned their studios, owned their own movie distribution systems, and owned theaters. For better or worse, the heavy hand of Federal regulation eventually came down on MGM, Paramount, 20th Century Fox and all the rest. The studios had to sell their theaters because they had too much control over both product and distribution. / Today, Marriott is consolidating its acquisitions of timeshare and hotel companies to become the world's biggest in BOTH businesses. But Marriott already owns Interval International, which zillions of timeshare owners rely on to make exchanges. Will Marriott -- if it's not doing so already -- make it increasingly difficult for those of us who do not own points in their humongous timeshare property trust to get what we want via Interval International exchanges? Is it time for a regulatory investigation? Is it time for a breakup?

Stu M.
Oct 24, 2018

I am aware that Interval Intl. (and VRI too, if I recall correctly) was acquired a few years ago by bohemoth Interval Leisure Group (ILG).

How does Marriott fit into that picture? Does Marriott now own (or control) ILG? I am not arguing with you, just very confused...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 24, 2018 10:34 AM

Oct 24, 2018

ken1193 wrote:
I am aware that Interval Intl. (and VRI too, if I recall correctly) was acquired a few years ago by bohemoth Interval Leisure Group (ILG). How does Marriott fit into that picture? Does Marriott now own (or control) ILG? I am not arguing with you, just very confused...

Marriott Vacations Worldwide agreed to buy ILG for about $4.7 billion in a stock and cash deal, creating the largest luxury brand for timeshare vacation resorts. read story here:

http://fortune.com/2018/04/30/marriott-vacations-ilg-merger-luxury-timeshare-resorts/

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Oct 24, 2018 12:04 PM

Oct 25, 2018

Actually they were all gobbled up by the same consortium who owns vistana, and now Hyatt also and also believe the same owns Starwood. To the point of your question...……..at my age and haven already reduced some of my holdings...……..YEP it would seem it's time break them up or in my case get out. Since I am a deeded owner with Hyatt, and not wanting to play the points game or have rights to occupancy SOME time in the yr. they can buy me out any time they want for the right price(LOL). Until then I'll just use my deeded weeks.

William P.
Oct 25, 2018

williamp511 wrote:
Actually they were all gobbled up by the same consortium who owns vistana, and now Hyatt also and also believe the same owns Starwood.... YEP it would seem it's time break them up or in my case get out.

I probably should have worded my question differently. I'm just thinking it's time for Marriott to DIVEST itself of Interval International. Why? Because since they control that major exchange firm, they can easily jigger Interval International's match-up software so that those who do not own Marriott and Marriott-owned points/properties might well have little or no luck with exchanges.

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on Oct 25, 2018 01:59 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.