General Discussion

Internet Timeshare Forums

Nov 13, 2018

It seems like the several Internet timeshare forums I have been part of the past 20 years miss the mark. There is a lot of discussion about glossy, unimportant things, while the really important things don't get much attention.

One legacy resort I am familiar with is being dissolved, while another one is successfully dealing with the same problems of timesharing.

It has a method to take back non-performing weeks, turning those lemons into lemonade. It auctions them off, and has turned 1/2 of them into productive weeks that way. It rents out the balance of them, both to the public and to owners at a discount.

It has a rental program, so gets a maintenance fee from owners, then a commission on rentals, while the owners get more than their maintenance fee back.

It is not fancy, so doesn't get strong reviews from those who don't consider the things that are really important. But, it is functional, and everything its owners want.

It has real market value, resales are realistic, and the association has money in the bank.

So, it is possible, but in 30 years it is the only one I've ever seen that is managed the way it is, successfully.

Of course, in order for a resort to be successful like this, it has to have some real vacation value, so, some real rental and market value, so most resorts probably could not do what it does.

NoOneYouKnow

Last edited by nooneyouknow on Nov 15, 2018 02:24 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.