Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

how long it takes to actually sell a timeshare?

Feb 27, 2019

I just wanted to know how many people have had sold timeshares on redweek and how successful this site is? I have heard nothing but good things about this site and just wondering what is an average on how long it takes to actually sell a timeshare?

Redw E.
Feb 28, 2019

redwe wrote:
I just wanted to know how many people have had sold timeshares on redweek and how successful this site is? I have heard nothing but good things about this site and just wondering what is an average on how long it takes to actually sell a timeshare?

There is no accurate "one size fits all" answer to your question, nor is there any "average time". Every individual situation is different. Among the many factors involved in selling a timeshare (...on RedWeek or anywhere else) are the desirability, demand and location of the resort, the week (or season), unit size, maintenance fees, annual or biennial use, reservation policies, fixed or flex week (or points), next available usage and, of course, the asking price.

That being said, I personally sold seven timeshare weeks (all were advertised only on RedWeek) since around 2010 when we decided to pare down our timeshare ownerships to just a few weeks. None took more than a month or so to successfully find a buyer on RedWeek. Closings took another 4-6 weeks beyond that. However, as previously stated, every individual situation is different. All of the weeks I sold were winter weeks in Florida at independent (not "chain") facilities, all were in coastal locations (all except one were on SW FL Gulf Coast; the other one was on the East Coast of FL), all at resorts with good management and reasonable maintenance fees. In other words, they were all relatively high demand weeks at locations with limited supply, in a desirable season at decent resorts and all were very competitively and realistically priced.

If your price is too high, you may never find a buyer. Although it may be difficult to accept, no one cares what you paid previously. The only thing that matters is the actual resale value of your timeshare in the open market today. If you bought (and overpaid) directly from a developer, you are going to take a very serious beating in the resale market --- regardless of where you advertise.

If what you seek to sell is in Orlando, FL or Branson, MO, where timeshares are literally "a dime a dozen", you may have a long and very difficult road ahead (except for Disney, which has value). If what you seek to sell is DRI, Wyndham or Westgate, you may have difficulty even giving it away for free (likewise with most Mexican timeshares).

I hope that some of my RedWeek experiences and /or other observations above are of some help to you. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 01, 2019 11:24 AM

Mar 01, 2019

Hello. I am one of those who purchase a timeshare in Orlando. Your message is frustrating for me regarding the sell mine. However, do you know the rage of prices of the timeshares in Orlando? Tku

Roberto C.

Last edited by robertoc54 on Mar 01, 2019 08:10 AM

Mar 01, 2019

Do you own weeks or points? For points- Rci points could be worth up to $800 but most are worth $0. Diamond $0. Hilton $0-3500. Wyndham $0-$10,000 (to get to the top end it would have to be Bonnet Creek and more than 500,000 points. DVC $6000-$15,000 based on the resort and number of points.

For Weeks $0-$3500. The top range would be for a 3 br platinum Marriott (Grand Vista or Lakeshore Reserve only). Many weeks have $0 resale value and you would likely have to pay transfer fees, closing fees and in some cases 1-3 years of prepaid MF and even then you still might not find anyone who wants it.

Tracey S.
Mar 01, 2019

robertoc54 wrote:
Hello. I am one of those who purchase a timeshare in Orlando. Your message is frustrating for me regarding the sell mine. However, do you know the rage of prices of the timeshares in Orlando? Tku

The easy way to find the RANGE of prices on any particular timeshare is to look at what the ASKING prices are for it on eBay.com, Redweek.com, tstoday.com, myresortnetwork.com, and tug2.net. You'll have to do your own research on your own particular timeshare. You might also check with licensed real estate timeshare resellers.

Stu M.
Mar 01, 2019

Roberto C.: You can also find the RedWeek resale history for your resort on this page: Whats My Timeshare Worth (https://www.redweek.com/whats-my-timeshare-worth)

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 01, 2019

redwe wrote:

Ken C. gave you an excellent, very thorough answer to your inquiry. I'd only add that if you are going to try to sell your timeshare(s) yourself you should consider many online sites. I have used the following to buy and sell: eBay.com, Redweek.com, tstoday.com, myresortnetwork.com, and tug2.net. I've also had contact with licensed real estate brokers who deal in timeshares, and one of those (in Southern California) found a buyer and got me, net of her commission, exactly what I was asking. How long does it take to sell a timeshare? "The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind...."

Stu M.
Mar 04, 2019

I own weeks.

Roberto C.
Mar 04, 2019

Oh my!... I will post my timeshare in all of those sites. With this scenario, I think I will lost my initial inversion and will be so difficult to exit. Wish me luck...8-(

Roberto C.
Mar 11, 2019

I have tried selling my Park City Westgate timeshare on here two years in a row and had zero success. I used the Redweek realtor and priced it under 1000 dollars and still no luck. I tried to get advice from Redweek's realtor but they gave me general info that wasn't hepful. I'm not sure how to dump my week now. Surely not putting any more money into Redweek's system.

Stacey P.
Mar 11, 2019

staceyp38 wrote:
I have tried selling my Park City Westgate timeshare on here two years in a row and had zero success. I used the Redweek realtor and priced it under 1000 dollars and still no luck. I tried to get advice from Redweek's realtor but they gave me general info that wasn't hepful. I'm not sure how to dump my week now.

Unfortunately, Westgate has a very sullied reputation in the timeshare industry mainly due to the benefits it strips from resale owners. Most Westgate properties have a zero (or even negative) resale value. If you are serious about dumping your week here are a couple of pointers but you probably won't like the suggestions.

First, Westgate has a deed back program where it is taking back a limited number of units. Believe it or not, westgate is actually charging owners about $900 to do this. As well, your mortgage and maintenance fees have to be paid up.

Second, continue to put your unit up for give away and offer to pay the closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee for the new taker. You can continue to advertise this on RedWeek. You can also do so for free on Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG; tugbbs.com) in the Bargain Deals section.

The other possibility is to call the resort's Homeowners' Association and demand that they take your unit back stating, in no uncertain terms, that you are not paying another penny in maintenance fees and that it would be in everyone's best interests for the HOA to take the unit back amicably.

Just do not contact any of these companies or law firms that claim they can exit you from or cancel your timeshare.

Lance C.
Mar 11, 2019

Thanks, this was very helpful.

Stacey P.
Mar 12, 2019

Stacey, I'm in the same boat. Will try to contact the homeowner adm to try to take it back.

Roberto C.
Mar 12, 2019

robertoc54 wrote:
I'm in the same boat. Will try to contact the homeowner adm to try to take it back.

Just remember, they might ask you to pay closing costs along with the next maintenance fee. That, however, will still be less than paying some shady, upfront fee company.

Also, be persistent. Make it clear that you are not going to pay any more in maintenance fees (unless that's what they will charge you to take it back) and that this will be a better option than the resort going through foreclosure procedures.

Lance C.
May 14, 2019

Stu M, I live in Southern California and I want to dump my week at the Grand Pacific Palisades. Would you be willing to share the information on the realtor who helped you sell yours? I'm torn on signing up on Red Week. I'd prefer a more personal service.

Thank You

Jason W.
May 15, 2019

I just sold our MarBrisa timeshare through RedWeek. It was up a week before I got an offer. And I took it since we do not want to pay MF next year.

Nicole M.
May 18, 2019

Hi I am interested in selling my Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk Timeshare. It is a points system resort, with 168,000 points every two years. I researched “what’s my timeshare worth” at Redweek. Unfortunately there are no current listings and the historical has only 1 sale for $21,000 . Any suggestions on what current market value may be? Also prospects for selling the unit in the near future? Thanks

Roger K.
May 18, 2019

rogerk138 wrote:
Hi I am interested in selling my Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk Timeshare. It is a points system resort, with 168,000 points every two years. I researched “what’s my timeshare worth” at Redweek. Unfortunately there are no current listings and the historical has only 1 sale for $21,000 . Any suggestions on what current market value may be? Also prospects for selling the unit in the near future? Thanks

The easy way to find the RANGE of prices on any particular timeshare is to look at what the ASKING prices are for it on eBay.com, Redweek.com, tstoday.com, myresortnetwork.com, and tug2.net. You'll have to do your own research on your own particular timeshare. You might also check with licensed real estate timeshare resellers.

But your timeshare may be worthless -- sorry to say -- in which case you should consider using Wyndham's Ovation program. There is a long, long Forum about Wyndham's Ovation here on Redweek which you should consult. Long and short of it is that Wyndham might have interest in taking your timeshare back at no cost to you. That means you get nothing for it, but you're done with it. I urge you to read the Ovation forum here on Redweek. This link should take you there:

https://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=20770&message_id=83245&query=Wyndham%20Ovation%20Program#fm83245

Stu M.

Last edited by markl18 on May 18, 2019 04:55 AM

May 25, 2019

I have a week at San Clemente Inn that I exchange with RCI for 45000 points annually. Can anyone tell me what a realistic price would be for it?

tracey75 wrote:
Do you own weeks or points? For points- Rci points could be worth up to $800 but most are worth $0. Diamond $0. Hilton $0-3500. Wyndham $0-$10,000 (to get to the top end it would have to be Bonnet Creek and more than 500,000 points. DVC $6000-$15,000 based on the resort and number of points.

For Weeks $0-$3500. The top range would be for a 3 br platinum Marriott (Grand Vista or Lakeshore Reserve only). Many weeks have $0 resale value and you would likely have to pay transfer fees, closing fees and in some cases 1-3 years of prepaid MF and even then you still might not find anyone who wants it.

Darlene O.
May 25, 2019

Darlene O.: The best way to see what you might be able to ask for your week is to view what other owners are asking for similar units/weeks on your resort page: San Clemente Inn

You can also visit this page to view the resale history for your resort: What's My Timeshare Worth

If you need further assistance, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of any page. Thanks!

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.