General Discussion

Does the location matter?

Apr 03, 2019

I'm interested in renting/owning a timeshare but thought I would get the basics out of the way. How do timeshares work? I know someone who has a timeshare in Arizona, but they travel to the Bahama's all the time. Does the location matter? Can you own a timeshare in one place, but use it at every location? If that's the case, why not buy a cheaper location and just go to the nicer resort? Other considerations?

Lamborg H.
Apr 04, 2019

Lamborg H.: If you are new to timeshares, then this article may help you with some of the basics: Timeshare Pros and Cons (https://www.redweek.com/resources/articles/timeshare-pros-and-cons)

When exchanging, you are very unlikely to be able to exchange for a nice resort if you purchase at a "cheap" resort. Before purchasing any timeshare, be sure to do your research so you understand the commitment and the costs/benefits.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Apr 05, 2019

Also, there is a cost to exchange. And if you join RCI or Interval International, there is an annual fee.

The general piece of advice when buying a timeshare is to not buy it for the purpose of trading. If you rarely or never intend to vacation at your home resort, then try renting units at places where you do want to go.

Lance C.
Jun 05, 2019

So, what is the main fact of the timeshare buy? To fulfill the interest of the vacation.

angalfaria

Last edited by angalf on Jun 05, 2019 07:00 AM

Jun 18, 2019

Yes, I think the location is a big fact.

angalfaria
Jul 10, 2019

Hello everyone, just plan to go to Dubai not now next month. I'm looking for some real estate agencies who give apartments or villas in rent in Dubai. I search on google location wise but see that one site provides their service in a different zone and the renting price is different from each other. I also search on RedWeek, but only two reviews are here about it. So guys if anyone has any recommendations kindly share with me.

angalfaria

Last edited by phyl21 on Jul 10, 2019 12:10 PM

Jul 17, 2019

Don’t buy a timeshare period there is absolutely no benefit to it at all

Henry G.
Jul 17, 2019

henryg96 wrote:
Don’t buy a timeshare period there is absolutely no benefit to it at all

There might not be any benefit to you personally but there are many happy timeshare owners who love their timeshares and vacations that come along with them. True, owning timeshares is not for everybody, many happy owners are there to be found.

Lance C.
Jul 17, 2019

Lance is correct . I have a timeshare in Las Vegas that I won't give up for anything . I only use it to go there and not to exchange . I just went there in May for a great vacation . I have never had a problem booking my week and if I'm not using it it rents out everytime .

I also had two that I used for exchanging . I got rid of them in 2011 because of corporate greed . The maintenance fees jumped every year and exchanging became very difficult because the resorts were renting out the prime weeks on the open market denying owners those weeks .

In my opinion the timeshare industry has become a pariah using maintenance fees for profit . The original principle for time sharing was to collect enough fees to support the timeshare and some for reserve . The board of managers served for no pay and there was no profit .

Along came corporate greed and the point system . Now maintenance fees go to profits rather than just maintenance .

There are a few rare gems out there like the one I own in Las Vegas . It can't be sold to a corporation because parts of it are privately owned . My advice is to only buy weeks not points and only to use the resort where you own .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jul 17, 2019 06:37 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.