Ask RedWeek

Rentals

Mar 23, 2021

If we decide to rent and don’t want a full week. What do we do ? Jen

Jennifer M.
Mar 24, 2021

Bear in mind that most timeshare ownerships, with the exception of "Points"-based products, are full week ownerships. Owners of such weeks (among whom I number) pay an annual maintenance fee for their week. That annual maintenance fee is the same whether that week sits empty for the week or whether it is used for 1 day, 7 days, or any number of days in between. When "weeks" owners rent out their week, they take into account those annual maintenance fee costs --- which are certainly not reduced if their owned week happens to get used for less than 7 days.

Anyway, I'd suggest first finding a advertised rental of interest to you --- and then inquiring if there is any flexibility with either number of days of occupancy or rental cost. Maybe yes, maybe no. My own position as a full fixed week owner, although I only occasionally rent out any of my weeks, is "this is the rental cost for my week; the price is not negotiable whether you stay for the full week or for less than the full week". Points owners in some systems (like Wyndham) may have much more flexibility than a "week" owner, since they can sometimes make reservations for less than a full week and not have to use a full weeks' worth of their allocated points. Hope this helps you at least a little. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 24, 2021 07:22 AM

Jan 27, 2022

My timeshare co, rented my unused week(I approved) and sent a percentage of the fee to me, by check. They are requesting my social security for their tax purposes(1099)…is this right? Thank you in advance.

Shell J.
Jan 30, 2022

South Carolina - Myrtle Beach - local rental and sales taxes - unfair difference in rental listings

I note that "verified and protected" listings add the resort and sales taxes and collect this to remit to the tax authority. Non verified and protected listings do not seem to disclose this liability in their listings and/or collect this. Is this tax then paid by the renter separately or does the lessor pay this tax?

This is an approximate $500 difference in the total weekly rental cost and causes some listings to be uncompetitive. Shouldn't this be disclosed to the renter???

Den
Jan 31, 2022

Dennis: We have started charging tax (based on the county) for online bookable units in South Carolina. Since this is a state law, we cannot waive it.

The South Carolina Department of Revenue website states: "The rental of transient accommodations is subject to a 2% accommodations tax in addition to the 5% sales tax, and any applicable local tax...If you rent transient accommodations for no more than one week each calendar quarter, you are not required to obtain a retail license, but you still must report and pay the tax annually." So if the owner is not charging the renter this tax, it appears they would be responsible for paying it.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Jan 31, 2022

I agree with your findings. However, wouldn't it be appropriate to disclose the potential tax liability on the listings where Redweek is not processing the payment? Potential renters are now asking me why my Myrtle Beach listing includes these taxes and other listings do not. I understand this is because the rents are collected through Redweek.

This is destined to become a bigger problem beyond SC. It might be good to get out ahead of it by disclosing the tax on all Myrtle Beach timeshare listings. I know you could do this as you now disclose there can be no guarantee of a particular view at Newport Coast on all listings.

phyl21 wrote:
Dennis: We have started charging tax (based on the county) for online bookable units in South Carolina. Since this is a state law, we cannot waive it.

The South Carolina Department of Revenue website states: "The rental of transient accommodations is subject to a 2% accommodations tax in addition to the 5% sales tax, and any applicable local tax...If you rent transient accommodations for no more than one week each calendar quarter, you are not required to obtain a retail license, but you still must report and pay the tax annually." So if the owner is not charging the renter this tax, it appears they would be responsible for paying it.

Den
Feb 01, 2022

Dennis: We appreciate your feedback and your suggestion has been passed on to our management team.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Feb 01, 2022

As an update, our tech team is now working on a change to the site to enable owners of South Carolina timeshares to charge the required tax.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Last edited by phyl21 on Feb 01, 2022 05:11 PM

Feb 07, 2022

When you see rental offerings that are crossed through and note "rented", is the rental rate shown what was actually obtained or could it be quit different?

Once a rental listing has been placed, does the person who wants to rent the unit then contact the owner to negotiate final terms?

Galen E.
Feb 07, 2022

Posting that were rented with RedWeek Online Booking (Verified and Protected) will show the rate the posting was rented for. If the posting is managed by the owner, then the rented price may differ from the asking price.

You can select the "Questions? Get in Touch" link on the right side of the posting page to get in touch with the owner or agent and negotiate final terms.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 24, 2022

I am considering renting timeshare in Las Vegas and want to know if there are any fees that will be due upon check in at the property or is the rental price all inclusive.

Janice P.
Mar 27, 2022

Never had this before- in 16 years- Couple rents week, takes vacation and check bounces- now what? I have to sue?

Mark E.
Apr 09, 2022

If I rent a week but will only use 4 nights, can I rent the remaining 3 nights to someone else on Redweek? If not, do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

Ellen S.
Apr 09, 2022

ellens251 wrote:
If I rent a week but will only use 4 nights, can I rent the remaining 3 nights to someone else on Redweek? If not, do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

Most rental contracts specifically prohibit any "sub-lease". Unless you encounter a (extremely unusual) rental contract that allows you (the tenant) to sub-lease, you should obviously assume that a timeshare week you do not personally own is not yours to rent out to anyone else without having very clear and overt authorization from the owner to do so.

Owners pay annual maintenance fees for each individual timeshare week that they own, whether they use that week themselves, or rent it out, or whether it just ends up sitting empty for the week. It's likely that your only option is to ask the owner for a reduced rental rate since you can only use 4 of the 7 nights. However, most owners would not agree to such a request. After all, any such "reduced rate" could end up being less than the amount of their annual maintenance fee bill for that week. Many owners don't seek to "profit" from renting out weeks they own but can't use in any given year and may be content to just "break even", but no timeshare owner ever seeks or wants to lose money in a rental.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 17, 2022 08:25 AM

Apr 22, 2022

What’s the difference between rentals with first names and those that state managed by Redweek? Also do the colors mean anything? Some postings are green. TIA

Lisa S.
Apr 22, 2022

Lisa: Postings with a first name are being handled by the owner and any questions you ask will be responded to by the owner. If the posting is highlighted in green, then no matter if the owner or RedWeek is handling the posting, you are able to use RedWeek Online Booking for the transaction. This means you can pay by credit card to RedWeek and the money is not disbursed to the owner until two business days after you check into the resort.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Jun 26, 2023

phyl21 wrote:

This is great to know. Does this mean if I use the Redweek full service and claim the income on my taxes, the short term rental tax etc is taken care of by Redweek? Also, does Colorado have similar short term rental taxes that Redweek processes? Thank you.

Sean B.
Jul 30, 2023

Whenever I rent my timeshares out at a higher rate than other rentals RedWeek never posts the rental as ‘rented’. The post just disappears. Is Redweek.com trying to keep rates low to increase viewing on the site, for people to get a ‘deal’?

Edna N.
Jul 31, 2023

Edna: For very popular resorts with a large number of postings, to keep the size of the page down, we parse the Rented results to keep the number of postings on the page down.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.