Ask RedWeek

Welk Platinum Points Resale

Mar 23, 2021

Hi, I am thinking of buying some Welk Platinum Points in the resale market, I mainly want to use them in ski resorts. I saw Welk has Northstar and Breckenridge locations. My questions: 1) If I purchased points in the resale market, can I reserve any resort, like Northstar and Breckenridge within system (without any exchange fees)? 2) Is it relatively easy to find available weeks or difficult? 3) Does odd year (even year) mean that I can only use in odd year (even year) even though I have banked lots of points? 4) Should I consider odd year (even year) or annual? Benefits of doing one way or the other? Thanks

Janet H.
Mar 24, 2021

I don't speak for RedWeek and cannot answer any of your numerous questions. I am responding only to point out (in case you are unaware) the recent announcement of HGVC (Hilton Grand Vacation Club) acquiring Welk. Whether or not this takeover will have any significant impact on Welk owners, I have no idea. However, since you are considering a Welk purchase, this new development is something that you may want to consider (and learn more about) before pulling the trigger on a Welk purchase at this particular time. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 24, 2021 07:18 AM

Mar 24, 2021

Thanks a lot for the information.

Janet H.
Mar 25, 2021

A small correction for KC. HGVC is buying Diamond Resorts. Marriott is buying Welk Resorts - and re-branding them as Hyatt Resort properties. Both purchases are scheduled to be completed in 2021. The other advice still stands.

John I.
Mar 25, 2021

johni116 wrote:
A small correction for KC. HGVC is buying Diamond Resorts. Marriott is buying Welk Resorts - and re-branding them as Hyatt Resort properties. Both purchases are scheduled to be completed in 2021. The other advice still stands.

John, you are absolutely right and I humbly stand corrected on the respective "big chain" identities involved. Thank you! Can't keep all the players straight sometimes without a scorecard...

On a side note, from a "timeshare consumer perception" standpoint, I find it difficult to grasp why HGVC would want to sully its' long-established good name by becoming associated in any way with the likes of Diamond, but I'm sure this acquisition involves high level corporate and financial considerations that are certainly way above my pay grade.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 30, 2021 06:55 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.