Ask RedWeek

converting owned weeks to points

Jul 27, 2021

I was talking to a group about converting my 3 weeks I own into points. Any one have any experience with this? Bob Patterson

BobChuck
Jul 27, 2021

robertc1838 wrote:
I was talking to a group about converting my 3 weeks I own into points. Any one have any experience with this?

It's not at all clear from your post exactly what "flavor" of points you are talking about --- there are many possibilities.

Assuming for the moment that you may be referring to RCI Points (the most common), it is rarely (if ever) cost effective to convert weeks to points. Such conversions usually cost several thousand dollars out of pocket, payable to the resort (whatever "group" you are talking to is likely not affiliated with the resort, just working on commission on behalf of the resort to peddle these "conversions"). Bear in mind too that you will still have 3 weeks worth of maintenance fees to pay, even if or after you "convert". There will also still be deeds reflecting 3 weeks (this is mostly for inventory control purposes, to prevent the resort from selling more weeks than can even mathematically exist at that resort).

If you could (and yes, you generally can) pick up a resale RCI Points ownership at a resort for a few hundred dollars (or less), why would you choose instead to pay thousands of dollars to "convert" existing weeks to RCI Points? Unless your fixed weeks are truly "dog" weeks (i.e., a low demand resort in a low demand location and a low demand season), your fixed weeks would always have some inherent value as "exchange" currency if you are not actually using them and choose to "deposit for exchange" (with RCI) instead.

Fwiw, I don't recall ever hearing or reading of anyone thinking that paying thousands of dollars out of pocket to convert their weeks to RCI Points was a good or a cost effective idea. If you could do it no cost, it would be a very different conversation, but the reality is that it is generally quite an expensive proposition to "convert" weeks to RCI points.

If you are referring to something other than RCI Points, the above input may not be applicable.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 28, 2021 05:02 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.