Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

First time renter - owner not "verified"

Jan 26, 2022

Hi all, I'm interesting in a property for rent. Owner has been on Redweek for a very long time (20 years) and I contacted customer service and they say they have no complaints on this person. I'm being asked to put down 50% and then I get confirmation. What else can I do to safeguard this rental? TIA!!!

Elizabeth G.

Last edited by elizabethg134 on Jan 26, 2022 08:43 AM

Jan 26, 2022

Elizabeth: If you are not using RedWeek Online Booking, then we have recommendations on how to stay safe on this page: Stay Safe

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 02, 2022

phyl21 wrote:
Elizabeth: If you are not using RedWeek Online Booking, then we have recommendations on how to stay safe on this page: Stay Safe

I understand. Thank you for your answer.

Ardelle K.
Apr 06, 2022

I have rented our lock off while occupying the 1 bedroom numerous times; usually I book my whole 2 bedroom unit one year out. To get it verified the units need to be split and a fee paid and a separate reservation made. Over spring break in Maui that won’t happen unless done a year in advance. I don’t plan on renting when booking so paying an extra fee isn’t smart. Due diligence is smart. But your fellow Maui Marriott owner is not looking to rip you off. Have them send a copy of reservation and ask to pay 50% at check in.

Dave G.

Last edited by daveg292 on Apr 06, 2022 10:59 AM

Apr 06, 2022

Have the renter send a pic of the screen shot of the reservation on the Bonvoy app. Call the resort and ask if “John Doe” has a reservation. You are buying tickets and just wanted to make sure you had the dates right. Be courteous and people always will help. At least that has worked for me.

Dave G.

Last edited by daveg292 on Apr 06, 2022 11:05 AM

Apr 12, 2022

I requested to book withs someone who has been a member since 2020 and is not verified. He has communicated with me outside Redweek messages. He is only requesting 50% down and balance on 4/30. Sent over a copy of alternate travel docs showing the reservation being put in my name, but it is NOT a Redweek rental agreement and I am not sure if payment is being expected to be handled outside of Redweek. He mentioned that due to new tax laws he prefers check payment instead of Paypal. Would I be able to call the resort he has changed the reservation to and see it in my name. It is through a third party called Interval out of Singapore?

Debra P.

Last edited by debrap291 on Apr 12, 2022 07:37 AM

Apr 12, 2022

Yes, you can call the resort and inquire about the validity of a confirmation. You will need the confirmation number and the owner's name.

Prior to Redweeks validation effort, I rented a few weeks and people paid by check. I always talked to them, answered questions, etc. They were good people and it worked out fine. They became my friends.

Den
Apr 24, 2022

It actually works out nicely to rent directly from the owner. I always talk with them over the phone and get a copy of their reservation. They send me a simple lease and I prefer to be listed as their guest. As their guest, I am registered at the front desk at check in, but I save $28.00 a day on parking and the extra tax imposed on the place. Basically, I save about $40-$50 a day! If you check out the owners and see their track record, it’s just better dealing with individual owners.

Dale H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.