Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Selling Wyndham Bonnet Creek

Feb 24, 2022

I am a Club Wyndham member with owner at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resorts in Lake Buena Vista, FL. I get 224K points every odd year. Its paid in full and maintenance is up to date. I've owned it since 2006 and I got good utility from it. However, our kids are older and ready to see the World. As a result, this timeshare doesn't have much utility to us anymore. How do I value my time share? The sale prices on ebay and tug2 are very low, a few hundred dollars, while sellmytimeshare.com and Redweek reflects prices in the thousands. Which is correct? I don't want the hassle of trying to sell it myself. I am contemplating using Redweek's full-service but they charge $125 plus $18.99 (membership) and 3% commission or $399, which ever is greater. That's over $500. I don't know if it will sell for that much. Does anyone have experience selling a timeshare structured similar to this? How did you price it?

Ed B.
Feb 24, 2022

If you are not using it and the kids don't want it, I suggest you list it for sale. Getting out for $500 would probably be a great deal for most timeshare owners. It could be a whole lot worse.

Keep in mind that the commission is only due if you are successful in selling the unit "and" you could continue looking at other means of selling it. avenues.

Good luck!

Den
Feb 25, 2022

I don't claim to know anything whatsoever about your particular resort or its' resale value. That said, I will just mention that Wyndham has a "deedback" program called "Certified Exit" (formerly called "Ovation"), if you decide that you really want to just promptly part company with that ownership; cleanly, with minimal effort --- and at zero cost to you.

Even if you sell your week, I believe that Wyndham's "transfer fee" is $200 (it may be even more now, I'm not sure). Additionally, if you can find a "taker", it would likely take 6-8 weeks after a new deed gets officially recorded (and a copy provided to Wyndham) before Wyndham will actually process and acknowledge the ownership change. Time is a factor to consider if Wyndham stills bills monthly (as they did when I owned a week within Wyndham a decade ago). Time and certainty are both valid considerations in weighing the efficiency of trying to sell (maybe with no success) vs. the swift and clean departure of the "deedback" option. It's ultimately your decision.

Understandably, it really grates on people that a "deedback" essentially involves giving back to the developer, receiving no compensation whatsoever, something which once cost thousands of dollars (if purchased directly from a developer; Wyndham in your case. I am not promoting or endorsing this "deedback" approach, I am merely pointing out its' existence, in case you were not aware of that option existing with Wyndham. I found a phone number for the former "Ovation" program elsewhere in these RedWeek forums; 855-312-9040. That number may have been updated somewhere along the way with the program name change to "Certfied Exit", but it's a toll free call for you to find out more from Wyndham on your own, if you decide that you might be interested in that option.

Good luck with whatever avenue you choose to pursue in seeking to part company with your Wyndham ownership!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 28, 2022 12:21 PM

Feb 25, 2022

edb410 wrote:
How do I value my time share? The sale prices on ebay and tug2 are very low, a few hundred dollars, while sellmytimeshare.com and Redweek reflects prices in the thousands. Which is correct? I don't want the hassle of trying to sell it myself. I am contemplating using Redweek's full-service but they charge $125 plus $18.99 (membership) and 3% commission or $399, which ever is greater. That's over $500. I don't know if it will sell for that much.

One suggestion that is often mentioned is to log into your E-Bay account (if you have one) and look for units at the particular resort where you own. Look for completed (not active) listings to see for how much they sold. That will give you a rough idea of what your unit is worth on the resale market. You might see the hard reality that some listings closed without garnering any bids. Some might have sold for only $1 and, in some of these cases, the owner offered to pay closing costs and even the next maintenance fee.

The reason why you see Sell My Timeshare Now (SMTN) and RedWeek listing for so high is because many of the owners are either ignorant or delusional about the resale value of their timeshares. SMTN is notorious for baiting owners to list for unreasonably high selling prices to justify their more unreasonably high listing fees.

Whatever you do, follow the cardinal rule of selling timeshares. Never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, market, or "cancel" your timeshare. Those are scams.

Lance C.
Mar 16, 2022

Did you sell your timeshare ?

Les S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.