Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Add name to ownership of a Timeshare

Apr 05, 2022

My sister in law owns two weeks at Orange Lake in Florida and 55,000 points. Her son does not want this and she would like me to add my name to the deed now while she is still living. My problem is my son does not want this either and once I die I think this gets passed on to him in the estate. Can he refuse to accept this property or can you leave a message I. Your will to return to the property upon your death? I’m not sure I want to add my name to the deed.

Tammy L.
Apr 05, 2022

Nobody can force your son to inherit your timeshare . That's just a scare tactic the exit companies use .

Don P.
Apr 05, 2022

tammyl165 wrote:
My sister in law owns two weeks at Orange Lake in Florida and 55,000 points. Her son does not want this and she would like me to add my name to the deed now while she is still living. My problem is my son does not want this either and once I die I think this gets passed on to him in the estate. Can he refuse to accept this property or can you leave a message I. Your will to return to the property upon your death? I’m not sure I want to add my name to the deed.

DON’T DO IT! If your name gets added to the deed now, you immediately become an equal co-owner permanently. If your sister in law just stopped paying her fees tomorrow, you would become 50% responsible for that debt (and for any and all associated future debt) as a co-owner. That ownership is currently not your responsibility or your problem now, so don’t MAKE it your responsibility or problem by allowing your name to get added to that deed. Bad move, not smart.

Any inheritance can be disclaimed, but NOT if you let yourself get added to the existing deed now, which would make you a co-owner, immediately and permanently. Don’t consider doing this, not for one second, or you will likely regret it later (...maybe even much sooner than later). Just politely say "no thank you".

If your SIL wants to leave that timeshare to you in her will, that's different. You could then decide upon her passing whether or not you choose to accept or to disclaim that inheritance at that time, but don‘t make the mistake of getting your name added to that deed now, unwisely making you a co-owner now --- immediately and permanently.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 07, 2022 05:12 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.