Point Systems

Buying Resale Marriott Vacation Club points

Aug 12, 2022

Hi, we are already presidential owners in MVC with 10,000 points. If we purchase 5000 resale points, will those points combine with our existing points to bump us up to Chairman?

Mindy K.
Aug 22, 2022

That's what they say, but not likely. They will find a way around it.

Aruba love
Aug 31, 2022

I have the same question wondering if resale purchased Destination Points will be applied to Benefits going from Select to Executive. Please let me know what you find out. I have calls into Marriott Ownership Services and Westin. Thank you, D

mindyk58 wrote:
Hi, we are already presidential owners in MVC with 10,000 points. If we purchase 5000 resale points, will those points combine with our existing points to bump us up to Chairman?

Don R.
Aug 31, 2022

I just heard back from Redweek Customer Service the following and I have a message into my Marriott Owner Services Contact to validate as well:

There are not any restrictions on the points when purchased on the resale market. Destination Points are the only Marriott product that does not have restrictions for resale. You can use the points just the same as if you purchased them from Marriott and they will combine with any current points that will apply to get you to the next level of membership if that is what your goal is. Marriott does like all of their other products have the right of first refusal.

Don R.
Sep 11, 2022

Don R - I understand that the new owner of Destination points purchased resale must pay fees to MVC of $3 per point (minimum $3,000) as well as an education fee. Please clarify the statement "Destination Points are the only Marriott product that does not have restrictions for resale." What restrictions are there on the other Marriott products beyond the ROFR?

Thanks

Den
Sep 16, 2022

Would the fees to MVC of $3 per point (minimum of $3,000) be in addition to the advertised cost of the points plus closing costs?

Thanks

Evan G.
Sep 17, 2022

The total cost should be the purchase price of the points, the closing costs, the $3.00 per point (minimum $3,000) and the education fee. I suggest you call Owner Services to confirm this and to understand exactly how this is done.

Please carefully consider what you can do with the number of points you will have after the purchase "and" what you will be able to do with that number of points. You will need about 4,000 points for a 1 week vacation once a year. That is a lot of money. Buying less points is a waste of money as you won't be able to do much.

Purchase a resale week - As an alternative, why not buy a good season week at a good resort within driving distance that you would use or rent out? Look at the resale listings on Redweek for lots of good choices. You could buy a great week for $10,000 + closing cost or even less. If you become unhappy with your week, you should be able to resell it for about what you paid. You could also exchange a resale week thru Interval.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Sep 17, 2022 03:03 PM

Sep 19, 2022

Don, a lot of good information - BUT - we just attended a Marriott sales presentation today and learned that starting in 2023 Marriott will PROHIBIT any Marriott property from being listed on II to exchange. For us that seriously devalues our Marriott timeshare weeks since we will no longer be able to find Marriott (or Westin or Sheraton I assume since Marriott has acquired them) on II and what’s left for the most part are inferior properties. It’s still a good deal to buy a legacy week if you love a property and want to stay there, try to rent it out on Redweek( we’ve had mixed results), or be willing to trade your entire unit within the MVC group. If you have a lock-off option as we do you cannot split it up into 2 portions/2 weeks & trade within the MVC group. You have to deposit & trade through II.

Ev L.
Sep 19, 2022

Purchasing a resale week can be good it you plan to stay at that resort. Selling a resale week is another story -prices have plummeted, and if a Marriott property, Marriott has a right of first refusal based on the buyer’s offer. So a 5-star Marriottproperty listed as selling at $3500 has a good chance of being acquired by Marriott using it’s right of first refusal, then Marriott converts it to its points value (e.g.3225 for our property), puts it into its Trust and resells those points for $16+/point.

Ev L.
Sep 19, 2022

So to clarify, does your last sentence mean that Marriott DOES have a right of first refusal on points resales, not just on Legacy weeks resales? Do you know how frequently Marriott exercises this right? Who wants to go through the process of entering into a purchase agreement only to have Marriott kabosh the transaction, then have to shop for more opportunities with the same possible result?

Ev L.

Last edited by evlevin on Sep 19, 2022 02:38 PM

Oct 27, 2022

Marriott exercised the first right of refusal for all 4 of our offers in the past 2 months. Can anyone comment with a successful transaction and what the successful strike price was?

evlevin wrote:
So to clarify, does your last sentence mean that Marriott DOES have a right of first refusal on points resales, not just on Legacy weeks resales? Do you know how frequently Marriott exercises this right? Who wants to go through the process of entering into a purchase agreement only to have Marriott kabosh the transaction, then have to shop for more opportunities with the same possible result?

Maurice C.
Nov 01, 2022

If I have 1000 Destination Points that will expire at the end of 2022, can I sell just those points on Redweek to someone who would like to extend their vacation>

Rick Pruitt

Last edited by rickp188 on Nov 01, 2022 07:11 PM

Nov 01, 2022

If you want to rent out points you are not able to use, then you would need to reserve a week with your points and post that week for rent. Our website only has a place to sell points if you are selling your entire points ownership.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Nov 06, 2022

dennish144 wrote:
Don R - I understand that the new owner of Destination points purchased resale must pay fees to MVC of $3 per point (minimum $3,000) as well as an education fee. Please clarify the statement "Destination Points are the only Marriott product that does not have restrictions for resale." What restrictions are there on the other Marriott products beyond the ROFR?

Thanks

Ruth O.
Sep 06, 2023

Can you clarify what you mean when you say starting in 2023 you can't list a Marriott property for trade on II? Marriott owns II. It's now Sept of 2023 and just a few months ago I deposited weeks on II that are indeed Marriott properties?? Very confused by your statement.

Sandy H
Sep 06, 2023

Is the process the same as listing a week in a property you own? You have points that are good anywhere, so book whatever, and list that date here to rent? How does the verification process work? I know you all verify that we own the week we list by calling the resort; but how does that physically happen when we book a week using points?

Sandy H
Oct 20, 2023

We just deposited our Marriott weeks with Interval just this week, so I'm not so sure the salesperson was completely honest when he said that. I was told last year in sales presentation that Interval was on it's way out which I think is just a scare tactic to get folks to buy points. I'm just saying.....

evlevin wrote:
Don, a lot of good information - BUT - we just attended a Marriott sales presentation today and learned that starting in 2023 Marriott will PROHIBIT any Marriott property from being listed on II to exchange. For us that seriously devalues our Marriott timeshare weeks since we will no longer be able to find Marriott (or Westin or Sheraton I assume since Marriott has acquired them) on II and what’s left for the most part are inferior properties. It’s still a good deal to buy a legacy week if you love a property and want to stay there, try to rent it out on Redweek( we’ve had mixed results), or be willing to trade your entire unit within the MVC group. If you have a lock-off option as we do you cannot split it up into 2 portions/2 weeks & trade within the MVC group. You have to deposit & trade through II.

Bob D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.