Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Marriott right of first refusal

Sep 23, 2022

When a resale week is posted on RedWeek and is pending or sold how can one know if Marriott has exercised their right of first refusal or not?

Robert J.
Sep 23, 2022

Needs to be completed BEFORE sale. Only way to know if this sale/transfer has been officially ok'd by Marriott, is to either call Marriott Owner Services or call the seller and obtain the actual document showing that Marriott has processed its ROFR (Right of First Refusal). Hope this helps. Not such a bad process but required. We did a sale several years ago.

Skip5400
Sep 24, 2022

Thanks

Robert J.
Sep 25, 2022

Of note, the ROFR process is initiated during the closing process - that's after a sales contract has been signed. This is the first thing done by the closing company.

MVC has displaced us as the buyer a few times. At times, I've even paid more than the ask to increase the chance of passing the ROFR hurdle.

I would be interested to know how many of the Ebay deals get through the ROFR process.

Den
Oct 06, 2022

MVC is horrible. I actually gave them back for free 3500 points just to get out of it. I kept 1500 and love going to the sales office for free points and explaining to them what I think of their business.

David M.
Nov 29, 2022

So Marriott IS really buying these as people like me are about to close on a timeshare re-sale? The sales person said that and I wasn't sure if it was a tactic to get us to buy the points. Made sense that they want them back but was hoping it was a tactic. TIA.

Amy M.
Nov 29, 2022

We never know when Marriott will exercise their right of first refusal, but it certainly is not 100% of the time. :) It seems to depend on Marriott's current inventory level and the sales price.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Dec 19, 2022

I have a week at Lakeshore Reserve that I was trying to work with the resale department, they offer no money to sell it thru them. We paid 30k+ and now they expect me “give” it back to them for no cash value

Joan M.
Dec 29, 2022

I had the same responce from Marriott when I asked how to sell it back to them. When we baught our time-share years ago they told us the price would increase and it was a good investment. No way, they want you to give it back for free!

Robert V.
Dec 29, 2022

robertv407 wrote:
I had the same responce from Marriott when I asked how to sell it back to them. When we baught our time-share years ago they told us the price would increase and it was a good investment. No way, they want you to give it back for free!

Well, as you found out the hard way, timeshare sales people are notorious for lying or telling half-truths during the sales presentation. One of the biggest lies most sales people tell in order to get you to buy is what you said above. Unfortunately, if you read the contract you signed, it will say that what the sale person said has no weight, only what is written in the contract. And it's possible that the contract (in those dozens of pages) somewhere said that your purchase would not increase in value.

So if you want to get rid of it, you will have to swallow that hard pill and give it back for free unless you think it has some resale value. If you think you can get some money for it, then list it on a reputable timeshare resale site like here on RedWeek, E-Bay, Craigslist, or Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG").

Lance C.
Jan 19, 2023

We bought 3,500 points at an auction for $2,500 and Marriott did not exercise the ROFR. We were sweating bullets until Marriott's deadline passed.

Stephen N.
Feb 05, 2023

Can you explain how you bought points at auction? I've not heard of that before.

Michelle D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.