Ask RedWeek

Average closing cost when buying a posted verified Time Share

Mar 27, 2023

I'm thinking of making an offer on a verified Time share here on Red Week. How much are the closing cost and fee's? Is it a percentage or fixed rate ?

Leslie L.
Mar 27, 2023

We'd encourage you to contact the owner of the posting directly in order to learn more about any additional fees that may apply. Sometimes, owners cover closing costs and other times, may ask that the buyer help with them. Since preference varies so much, the best way to get an accurate idea of any additional fees is to reach out directly.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 28, 2023

I will add that with some "chains" there is a very hefty "transfer fee" (which is separate from all other closing costs) when a timeshare ownership changes hands. It's close to $700 for Hyatt properties, $200 for Wyndham properties. Even small "independents" ofter charge a transfer fee, but generally only in the $100 range. These "transfer fees" really have nothing to do with other closing costs. It's basically a gratuitous (but mandatory) charge imposed by the resort for the simple task of making the necessary changes in their owner (and maintenence fee billing) records and database.

Since a "transfer fee" is usually NOT included as part of customary closing costs (regardless of the closing entity involved), it's beneficial for buyer and seller to both know the resort-imposed "transfer fee" amount and agree in advance whether that gratuitous (but unavoidable) charge will be paid by the buyer or by the seller.

For what it's worth, I've used LT Transfers (located in Georgia) as a closing entity for numerous timeshare transactions as both buyer and seller over the past decade or so. To the best of my knowledge, they are actually the lowest cost closing entity around. Small business, nice folks and highly competent. I am not "advertising" for them, just pointing out their existence solely from the perspective of a satisfied customer in multiple transactions over the past 10+ years; I have no other affiliation or agenda.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 29, 2023 12:05 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.