Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying a resale Marriott timeshare

May 05, 2023

I see some Marriott timeshare resales that are very cheap, such as $1000-5000, such as the 2-bedroom Cypress Harbour. I'm interested in getting one, but it seems too good to be true. Has anyone been able to buy deals like that? Thanks.

Ly V.
May 16, 2023

I was wondering the same thing. Just coming from a Marriott time share presentation in Maui. They wanted to sell us MVC membership of 2000 points for around $27K + $1600 annual maintenance fees. Here I am seeing 'Verified' sales that offer 2000 points for $4-5K ? Too good to be true? how does this work? I'm definitely interested at these prices.

Serv G.
May 17, 2023

servg wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. Just coming from a Marriott time share presentation in Maui. They wanted to sell us MVC membership of 2000 points for around $27K + $1600 annual maintenance fees. Here I am seeing 'Verified' sales that offer 2000 points for $4-5K ? Too good to be true? how does this work? I'm definitely interested at these prices.

It's not necessarily "too good to be true". Lots of timeshare units are listed for resale for far less than what the developer tries to sell for. The downside to remember is that, no matter how much you paid upfront, even if you acquired it for free, you have to pay $1600 in maintenance fees each year. And those fees invariably rise each year.

Lance C.
May 19, 2023

Lance C. is right. It's NOT too good to be true. Some owners need to sell to get out from under the annual maintenance fees. I have purchased very cheap timeshares on the resale market.

I have also purchased new timeshares (prior to finding out about the resale market). I would never do it again. I highly recommend the resale market if the timeshare is in a resort you wish to visit every year.

Susan E.
May 22, 2023

I have made offers and rarely receive a response even if made at asking what gives are these units really available?

Nick N.

Last edited by nickn99 on May 22, 2023 07:05 AM

May 26, 2023

Susan and Lance, thanks for the replies. Couple of questions below.

1. Does Marriott treat after-market buyers same as original direct buyers ? Are these points worth exactly same as original direct purchased points?

2. During our presentation a couple of weeks ago, MVC showed us some example properties around the world we can book for 1000, 2000, 3000 points etc. Is there a place I can go to verify what/when I can get for X number of points before purchase?

3. Looks like I can either purchase point system with which I can book anywhere or a specific property (older system?). Which is the better system - The flexibility sounds nice to me - but don't know much more.

Serv G.
May 29, 2023

nickn99 wrote:
I have made offers and rarely receive a response even if made at asking what gives are these units really available?

I have a 2/2 Ocean View every other year at Marriott Ko Olina for sale. First year 2024 usage! I would respond! asking 7500.00 1370 Yearly fees!

Todd and Tracy Thompson
May 30, 2023

Resale weeks are the way to go. We are long time holders of great weeks, some bought from Marriott and most bought resale. There is no difference in use.

Point program - Educate yourself before you leap into points. We own Marriott weeks and points. Sales can brag all they want about the points program, but success is being able to get the reservations you want when you want them.

Next time you are in a sales presentation, have the sales rep show you if the reservations you want are available.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on May 30, 2023 02:08 PM

May 31, 2023

As someone who did buy a resale for $2500, I can vouch for the fact that resales here on Redweek are authentic. The low prices reflect market conditions and the fact that some owners no longer use their timeshare properties so just want to get out. Marriott generally does not buyback their weeks so private buyers have to look for options from timeshare sellers who want exorbitant commissions, or here on Redweek which is much cheaper. When I decide to sell probably next year I will also sell on Redweek.

Carole W.
May 31, 2023

If you don't get a response, it's likely that the week is already sold. Still, the poster should remove a sold week and answer you.

Carole W.
Jun 06, 2023

Thank you for the feedback. I need to educate my self about differences between buying ''weeks' vs. points. Pros and Cons.

Another question - Is there a way to find out the general availability of properties through the point system without buying and committing. Lack of availability seems to be common feedback from owners. How do I get a real sense of this issue before buying ?

Serv G.
Jun 13, 2023

Originally bought weeks and then joined points program when first introduced. You can use your week, trade for points in MVC, or trade for Bonvoy points. Not sure if those options are all available with resale.....

3. Looks like I can either purchase point system with which I can book anywhere or a specific property (older system?). Which is the better system - The flexibility sounds nice to me - but don't know much more.

Randy H.
Jun 18, 2023

I have purchased two Marriott timeshares on the resale market. I would NEVER buy points. You don't own anything...with the older system, we own a week. I own two weeks at a Marriott resort. The last one I purchased here for $3000. It is as good as gold

Dottie S.
Jul 06, 2023

Happy Thursday Thank you for your advice.

We are very interested in purchasing weeks at any Aruba location. How do you know if you are purchasing weeks or points?

King E.
Jul 07, 2023

we bought 2 Ko Olina weeks during development of the resort, never switched to points. We prefer the knowledge that we can use our weeks every year. I've also rented weeks at a nice profit on $500 (studio) to $2500 (full unit) over the maintenance fees. Now we're thinking of selling - a definite resort and unit - not nebulous bunch of points selling for less than cost, getting older and don't want our kids to need to deal with timeshares

Jane C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.