Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Issues Regarding Selling a Marriott Time Share

Jun 15, 2023

Time Share Sale

I just sold my Marriott time share for $1,500 using Red Week. Yes, you can buy time shares cheap if someone wants out of the maintenance fees and may have had it a long time.

Buyers tend to go for the cheapest ones but this has a negative side too. Marriott has Right or First Refusal (ROFR) and they just exercised it on my sale which had a $1,500 purchase price. No one knows what the set point is for them to exercise the ROFR but it probably differs depending on the time share, location, and time of the year.

Thus, if you really want the time share you may be better off going for a higher sale price of $2,000-$4,000 to have a better chance of Marriott not buying it.

Also keep in mind that such private sales do not permit you to use the time share for Marriott Rewards Points every other year and you can not enroll it with Marriott for Destination Points. Thus, be aware that you will not have the same rights as the original owner who purchased it from Marriott.

It is also kind of necessary to use a real estate broker to facilitate the sale for the closing and escrow process and they will have a commission that they charge also. The broker does the paperwork between buyer and seller, handles the closing, and disburses the funds via the escrow process. This adds about $2,000 to the buying price and the buyer pays these fees not the seller.

Some buyers come via broker to the seller but in my case, I used a broker for a sale that fell through, and the buyer agreed to use this person to facilitate the sale. Unfortunately, he lost out of the sale to Marriott.

Lynn R.
Jul 03, 2023

When Marriott stepped in, did they actually buy it from you? Did they pay what you were asking or more?

Andrea B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.