Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Can you have your timeshare up for rent and for sale?

Sep 13, 2023

I have a timeshare at The Royal Sands week 44 in Cancun. I would like to put it up for rent, but eventually sell it! Can you do both at the same time?

Cindy H.
Sep 13, 2023

Sure, you can advertise a timeshare both for sale and for rent simultaneously, but if advertising on RedWeek you would have to post (and pay for) two separate ads. No matter where you advertise, if you execute a rental contract before finding a permanent buyer you will be legally obligated to honor that rental agreement obligation (or risk being in legally actionable breach of contract for failing to do so). If you have a rental obligation to fulfill, you would obviously have to clearly advise any interested buyer of the first / next actual usage date available after closing (which might not be until the following year if a rental contract obligation must be fulfilled in the current year). In that scenario, you would obviously not ask or expect the new buyer to pay the maintenance fees for a year in which they cannot even occupy the week being purchased from you.

cindyh671 wrote:
I have a timeshare at The Royal Sands week 44 in Cancun. I would like to put it up for rent, but eventually sell it! Can you do both at the same time?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 14, 2023 01:35 PM

Sep 13, 2023

Thank you so much for the information! I kinda figured that was the case, but wasn't sure. Thanks, again.

Cindy H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.