Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Selling Marriott Points

Apr 19, 2024

I have 1750 Marriott Point that i am looking to sell. Do not really know how to go about this. Any Help would be great. When we bought over 15 years ago it was for additional 5 day i know things have changed. I have not used them and I cannot find anyone to rent out to use the points. So my next step is selling.

Any one have any ideas I had read over many articles and I get more confused . In reading many people say Marriott will not buy back but they have the right of refusal which i really do not understand.

Any feed back would really be helpful.

THanks Pat Nasella

Patricia N.
Apr 19, 2024

patrician224 wrote:
....i am looking to sell. Do not really know how to go about this. Any Help would be great. ........In reading many people say Marriott will not buy back but they have the right of refusal which i really do not understand.

First of all, the first rule is to never pay anyone an upfront fee to sell or rent out your unit. If you want to sell, it's important to know what the realistic, resale value of your unit is. You might have paid tens of thousands of dollars for it but resale, it's not worth nearly that much.

Marriott, like almost all other timeshare systems, do not have a program where they will buy back what you bought from them. Some might have a deed back program where they will take your unit back for free or might even charge you a fee to do so. You would have to contact Marriott directly or the Homeowners' Association of the resort where you own to inquire about a deed back. If your unit has some resale value, you can advertise it for sale here on RedWeek or other reputable timeshare websites such as E-Bay or Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"; tugbbs.com).

As for right of first refusal (ROFR), what that means is that if you find a buyer for your points or unit and agree on the price, Marriott can exercise ROFR if it feels the agreed-upon sale price is too low. If Marriott exercises that right, then it must buy that unit from you for the price you and the buyer had agreed upon. Keep in mind that ROFR is very rarely exercised. So either Marriott will buy it from you or let the other potential buyer buy it from you. Marriott cannot stop the sale if it does not exercise its ROFR. Keep in mind that many of these exit and cancel companies try to scare owners by saying ROFR allows timeshare companies to stop potential sales. That's not true. It just allows the timeshare company to buy it back at the price you agreed to sell it to the potential buyer for.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.