Report Abuse

Welk Resort - Purchased 300,000 points for 18 months - $2,295 - Good or Bad Deal?

Hi Joe Just perusing posts about Welk Resorts as we own a lot of points there. Wondering how your situation turned out. Thanks! Joy [Q=joea301] Hello All, Let me start off by saying I am new to the Timeshare world. I'd like to get some advice and find out if I made a good purchase or if I should cancel, I have a 7 day window. I went in to the Welk Resort in Escondido, CA because they were giving away tickets to Hawaii for stopping by and doing a 90 minute tour. I knew they were going to try and sell me on stuff but I also knew purchasing a time share for $10k-$20k is not in my current budget... I just wanted the 2 free tickets to Hawaii. As the meeting went on and they kept coming up with alternative options to accommodate my rejections and eventually the package and the price started to look do-able. For $2,295 (no other fees) I ended up getting this: - 300,000 points for 18 months - must use all points within the 18 months. They can transfer if I become and owner or they simply disappear. - 2 Dream Weeks - I believe this is for $280 I can get resort accommodations for a week. - Dinner & Theater Package - buy a dinner / theater, next one is free - $150 Visa Gift Card - Bonus Days - I can stay at a suite for $175 a night anytime - or let a friend use it. Freebies for showing up: - 2 tickets and 2 night stay in Honolulu (I will extend it to a week stay and pay out of pocket) - x2 - Wine tasting tickets - 6 tasting each for 2 people and a bottle of wine From what I see, the Welk Resort in San Diego is 12,000 point a night Sunday - Thursday and the Lake Tahoe Welk is 9,000 a night Sunday - Thursday. So I could milk the 300,000 point and get 25 nights if I use the San Diego location and 33 nights if I use the Lake Tahoe location only. This makes San Diego resort $91 a night and Lake Tahoe $70 a night. Like I said, I went into this not planning on purchasing anything, just wanted to score some free tickets to Honolulu (and I did). After running the numbers and the cost of staying there per night it seems like a good price. But I would like to know what the more experienced users think of this package. Please let me know your thoughts, is it a good package, or bad and I should cancel right away? BTW I won't lose my Hawaii tickets or the 2 wine tastings if I cancel.[/Q]