Report Abuse

Re: Car Rental Beware

Thanks for the great imput. Has anyone ever gotten Mexican Insurance from like AAA and used that in Mexico for a rental car. I haven't looked up their policy but it just came to me that they do sell insurance for Mexico. Thanks again for all the input. Paul[/Q] Yes, I've gotten Mexican Ins. from AAA, but it was for a personal vehicle going into Mexico. It was easily double the cost of getting it from a local Mexican Ins. broker. I do not believe this insurance will apply to a rental car rented in Mexico. You are subject to similar restrictions as you would with a U.S. rental car going into Mexico: either you purchase their insurance or you don't rent. I had an annual policy for the gringo mexican insurance (Mexican Nationals do not need this insurance) and could not get any of the U.S. rental companies to accept it. I still had to purchase their own Mex. Insurance. BTW, In the U.S., full coverage rental car insurance purchased from the rent-a-car companies do work. I had someone total a brand new rental. We left it on the side of the road with instructions on where to pick it up, and rented another car. Total out of pocket cost for the wrecked car was one dollar. I have never tested the Mexican version of this coverage though.