Report Abuse

Re: Re: DR newbie🙄 here...

Charles, I am a DR owner also as a result of DR buying Sunterra, but not happy with DR's availability and the increasing annual costs. Do you have any updating knowledge about how the Hilton purchase of DR affects the value of DR points? I am interested in getting out of DR. Sheila Etelamaki [Q=charless345] Krystal B. I am going to be completely honest and up front with you. The short answer to your question is no, 5000 points is not worth it. If you are buying directly from Diamond, I will say the only good thing is that from what you have written it is only for good thing. It’s good that it is not a lifetime commitment. First of all, for the amount you paid that equates to $2000 per year. You were probably shown a luxurious two bedroom unit, perhaps with an ocean view room depending on where you were staying. With 5,000 points you will never see those types of units. You would have to travel during off peak times like February in Santa Fe with a STUDIO unit with no kitchen. There are FEW but not many 1 bedrooms that you can use 5000 points with and even less 2 bedrooms for desirable places and units with those few points. You can use $2000 and get a very nice vacation on VRBO or ARBNB and not be obligated to the yearly maintenance fees which go up every year. Secondly, any use of points for anything other than accommodations is a loss of value of your maintenance fees. So when they tell you that you can use your points for airfare, cruises, and other stuff, you are losing the value of your points because you can get the same things cheaper if you went and bought it directly. I have been with Diamond Resorts since 2007. I will tell you this as I am a HAPPY Diamond owner. However, I have learned the system well. I have over 20,000 points and since I am a Marriott owner, I use the two of them in conjunction with one another. Diamond’s resorts are hit and miss. Some resorts are really nice and some are pretty bad. I usually use them in Hawaii during peak season. It saves me a lot of money for accommodations as summer is peak season and that’s when I usually go. Diamond bought my old timeshare Sunterra. Diamond is currently being bought by Hilton. We don’t know what that means for us Diamond owners yet. Time will tell. Most are thinking it’s a good thing. My recommendation is for you to rescind. It’s too expensive in my opinion even at 5 years. I will answer any question that you have honestly as I have great knowledge of the system. Since you stated you have little knowledge about timeshares, I would automatically tell anyone with limited knowledge to get more information prior to buying. You need to know if timesharing is for you. Can you plan a year in advance? What season do you travel? Do you need one, two or three bedroom units? Are the maintenance fees comfortable with you remembering they go up every year? l will let you know that if you go toTimeshare Users Group, a site for timeshare owners, you will get lots of answers and there are lots of owners like myself who can help you. The web address is tug2.net. However, rescind today. Follow the directions in the contract you signed and follow its directions and send it in IMMEDIATELY. Believe me, whatever they offered will be there for you next week, next month, or even next year. Keep your money in your pocketbook. You will thank me later.[/Q]