Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Lol, no, rest assured I am not a Marriott salesperson and therefore have no idea if your particular resort was sold out for platuinum season weeks. I am, however a Marriott owner who has spent God knows how many hours researching and learning all the nuances of the point system. There are times where I have actually known MORE about the new system than even a rep I spoke to during a recent presentation at Orlando's Lakeshore Reserve. He had to have his manager call corporate to confirm the things I was telling him! Lmao. As to your statements that you seem to feel I am deflecting, I apologize if I have given you that impression as it was not my intentions of doing so. I am not here to debate or argue, but rather want to help people understand their ownership. I was very confused and upset until I learned more, and I would hate knowing there are others who are in that same boat. Hopefully this will clear some things up for you....Assuming that all the platinum weeks are sold at your resort, then getting what you want, when you want, is controlled by the other legacy platinum weeks owners. The Trust point owners only have access to other trust inventory, which as mentioned before, included unsold weeks. Which means if your resort was sold out during platinum season, there are NO platinum weeks in the trust for trust owners to reserve. They can still get into your resort by exchange through owners of platinum season who have enrolled and therefore bring their legacy week into the trust for the year they elect to use points. That makes their week available to trust owners, and if they are using points, they are not going to their home resort. As for the early advantage of booking for points owners, it's not as extensive as you may think. First off, not all trust owners can book 13 months in advance. That benefit is reserved for owners who own 13000 points or more (can be a combination of actual trust points and the points Marriott gives them for their legacy weeks). These people can book anything from just one day to more than a week 13 months out. However, to ease your mind, less than 2% of Marriott trust owners are at this level, referred as Premium Plus. Premium owners (own a minimum of 6500 points combined of trust points and points from their legacy weeks) these people can also book 13 months in advance but have to pay a premium of 20% in points on top of what their reservation costs in points. They are also limited to the amount of time of their reservation. Meaning, if they are booking less than 7 days they can only do that 10 months out, 7 or more days, they can book 12 months out. They can only book 13 months out if they are willing to pay the additional 20% point premium. Any other trust owner has the same 10 and 12 month reservation windows and can not elect to do the 13 month advance booking whether they are willing to pay the 20% or not. This advantage is what Marriott awards their owners who have invested more in the company than those who have invested less. Much the same way platinum owners who paid more than gold owners had access to higher demand weeks. So, yes, you are correct that point owners can reserve 13 months out, but only a small percentage can. Those other owners won't want to pay 20% in points for that one extra month window. And even if they could, it still is trumped by the fact that the legacy platinum owner at your sold out resort during platinum season decides to make his time available by going somewhere else in the trust system using his elected points. I'm sorry to hear that it's hard for you to get into your home resort during your season. You should be getting home resort priority over all other owners, both exchangers from I.I., lower season owners of your own resort and also trust owners. Again assuming that ur resort is sold out during platinum season. Other wise, what I typed in my earlier message will apply. Unsold inventory is made available for trust owners immediately for booking. Does not take availability from legacy owners since they never had access to that inventory to begin with. Feel free to double check any of the facts I've stated. Oh and to give you an even greater piece of mind, even the 13 month reservations have a deadline of September 30th.