Report Abuse

My timeshare is paid in full, but I just don't want it anymore

[Q=stevep603] I've been considering unloading my timeshare for quite some time. I used it when I was working and could only take one week off at a time. Now that I'm retired, a one week vacation and airfare are ridiculous. I just want to GET RID OF IT and stop paying the maintenance fees. Anyone know an avenue to "gift it" or somehow just (legally) unload it? [/Q] Not much info or detail to work with here to provide specific recommendations. Don't know if what you have is deeded or "points", "chain" or independent --- or even what country it's in. Nonetheless, here are a few generic suggestions: 1. Contact the resort HOA and ask if they will accept a "deedback". If so, this is a quick, clean and lawful exit and probably the best bet for the situation you describe. 2. If "deedback" is not an option (most resorts still will NOT accept deedbacks), you can offer to give the timeshare away for free in the "Bargain Deals" section of Timeshare Users Group (see http://www.tug2.net). SOMEONE will have to pay closing costs and resort transfer fees, so give some thought to whether you are willing to pay those costs yourself in order to get rid of the timeshare. Transfer fees vary widely in cost; around $100 at most independents, $299 for Wyndham, $695 for Hyatt, sometimes several thousand dollars to transfer RTU contracts in Mexico. For a deeded, U.S. timeshare, you can figure on about $200 to a closing company for new deed preparation and recording (this is a different and separate cost from resort-imposed transfer fees) once you find a willing new recipient. 3. DO NOT pay a penny to ANY of the (far too many) completely useless and obscenely expensive upfront fee "escape / relief / exit / rescue" parasite operations. If you do so, that money will be gone forever and you will STILL own the timeshare --- you'll just own it with a significantly lighter wallet. Good luck.