Report Abuse

Re: My timeshare is paid in full, but I just don't want it anymore

[Q=donp196] Why don't you read your contract . If it's a vacation club then you are not committed to a lifetime agreement . There has to be an exit option .[/Q] Maybe --- but it's not necessarily that clear cut. Many RTU "membership" contracts do indeed have date-defined lifespans (typically 15-30 years in Mexico), but many U.S. based "club" operations do not. Some just contain vague descriptions like "for as long as the club remains operational", or words to that effect. For a specific example, I had a RTU "membership" in the late 90's / early 2000's with Perennial Vacation Club (based in Nevada); I purchased the membership for peanuts in the resale market. I still have a copy of the contract and there is no expiration date or "exit option" reflected therein, other than "at the determination of the club owners" . After I had used PVC for a few years, I was fortunate enough to find a willing recipient to whom to transfer my "membership", by basically giving it away for free. Suggested sites on which to attempt to give such a membership away are RedWeek.com, MyResortNetwork.com, the "Bargain Deals" forum on Timeshare Users Group (http://www.tug2.net). I cannot envision a scenario where anyone is going to pay anything for this Raintree "membership", so I stand by my earlier observations and suggestions. I also cannot imagine that Raintree would ever bother to initiate a negative credit report for someone walking away from a fully paid off membership of long standing. It is conceivable, but highly unlikely. Your decision, your choice.