Bluegreen Points

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Points systems thoughts... (by KC):

rickf113 wrote:
I am considering buying a resale timeshare, and I think that I want to do it with one of the points systems. I am new to this. Which one of these is the best? I am considering Bluegreen. What do you think? I am considering points because of the trade fees I want to stay away from. We are basically looking to buy a resort that we can trade, not stay at every year.
There really is no stand out "best" Points system. All have some good features and some not-so-good features. Bluegreen would certainly NOT be among my first choices, however, since availability is quite limited with BG points and BG resale prices seem (to me, anyhow) to be artificially high, for no apparent good reason.

RCI Points offers the widest range of resort selections, but purchase prices are all over the map. As in any system AVAILABILITY rules all. You may not be able to book what you want, when you want it...

Wyndham Points (which are distinctly different from and unrelated to RCI points, even though Wyndham owns RCI) can be bought resale for peanuts these days. Also, Wyndham points can be deposited with RCI (...but there ARE exchange fees involved to do so).

In my opinion, you really need to read, study and shop around. After that, read, study and and shop around some more.

For value, I personally think Wyndham is currently a good deal, with sizeable points packages selling resale for "cheap". You will, of course, have annual fees in any system you enter. Also, you CANNOT sell or rent your Wyndham Points to anyone else (a policy change implemented by Wyndham as of March, 2009). You can of course sell the entire ownership itself, but you CAN'T ever transfer Wyndham points to someone else while you remain the owner of those points.

Good luck. Take your time and learn all you can before taking out that checkbook. Remember, buying is easy --- but selling later is NOT.